Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: wsolum on January 17, 2008, 03:01:03 pm

Title: QImage, Z3100 and Gloss Enhancer
Post by: wsolum on January 17, 2008, 03:01:03 pm
I printed a photo with a few blown highlights on my Z3100 through QImage with GE on (economode).  The areas of blown hilight show considerable gloss differential.  Would Qimage do anything that would restrict the use of GE on areas that are totally white?
Title: QImage, Z3100 and Gloss Enhancer
Post by: Panopeeper on January 17, 2008, 03:35:57 pm
I got a sample glossy print with the enhancer; the image I gave then had some blown red parts. On those spots the gloss is missing. It has not been printed with QImage.
Title: QImage, Z3100 and Gloss Enhancer
Post by: wsolum on January 17, 2008, 05:21:37 pm
Luckily the blown spots were deliberate.  I pulled it down to the exct point where they disappeared.  I wonder if it has something to do with "econo-mode"  which I thought used gloss enhancer everwhere within the image but not outside it's borders.

It doesn't seem right that 255,255,255 within an image should have zero GE.


Quote
I got a sample glossy print with the enhancer; the image I gave then had some blown red parts. On those spots the gloss is missing. It has not been printed with QImage.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=167840\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Title: QImage, Z3100 and Gloss Enhancer
Post by: William Morse on January 17, 2008, 07:22:42 pm
I believe econo-mode applies none anywhere that's 255,255,255

Try printing with it off- I don't think it saves alot unless you have large borders. or else bring the areas of 255,255,255 within the image down 1.

Bill

Quote
Luckily the blown spots were deliberate.  I pulled it down to the exct point where they disappeared.  I wonder if it has something to do with "econo-mode"  which I thought used gloss enhancer everwhere within the image but not outside it's borders.

It doesn't seem right that 255,255,255 within an image should have zero GE.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=167855\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Title: QImage, Z3100 and Gloss Enhancer
Post by: rdonson on January 17, 2008, 09:03:11 pm
Quote
I believe econo-mode applies none anywhere that's 255,255,255

Try printing with it off- I don't think it saves alot unless you have large borders. or else bring the areas of 255,255,255 within the image down 1.

Bill
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=167877\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I agree.  I don't see the advantage of running GE in econo mode if you want to avoid gloss differential.  

From the "Using your printer" doc:

Economode: the gloss enhancer is used in inked areas of the image, but not in ink-free (white) areas.
Title: QImage, Z3100 and Gloss Enhancer
Post by: Thomas Krüger on January 18, 2008, 01:25:02 am
PS Action from Outpackphoto: Smart Econo Mode action available for testing
http://www.outbackprint.com/printinginsigh...y.html#20070413 (http://www.outbackprint.com/printinginsights/pi046/essay.html#20070413)
Title: QImage, Z3100 and Gloss Enhancer
Post by: neil snape on January 18, 2008, 02:08:27 am
Eco mode must work that way. It also could be called whole page minus white.
Since it works this way if you want to reduce GE on borders , make a marquee around the image print area and set your maximum white point in the levels or curves box white point (hopefully an adjustment layer!) to 254. This will ensure a GE over white without affecting non inked borders.
Title: QImage, Z3100 and Gloss Enhancer
Post by: Ernst Dinkla on January 18, 2008, 03:38:30 am
Quote
Eco mode must work that way. It also could be called whole page minus white.
Since it works this way if you want to reduce GE on borders , make a marquee around the image print area and set your maximum white point in the levels or curves box white point (hopefully an adjustment layer!) to 254. This will ensure a GE over white without affecting non inked borders.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a] (http://index.php?act=findpost&pid=167915\")


The only thing I like about the Wasatch SoftRip Z3100 driver is that it will print GE on the total image without the borders and you can control the amount of GE, very little is needed. Same for total area.

Qimage could in theory do something similar minus the amount control. Borders can be added separately in Qimage and according to Mike the CM on the border is done the same as the image but separately so lifting the 255 to 254 in the image would be enough. I think it should already be possible with the "print filter" if that only affects the image.
One shouldn't forget that the small tonal step of 255 to 254 is increased in tone on top of it by the GE itself. It would be better if an alpha channel controlled the GE.

I have been thinking about some solutions and will try it today.

How does the Epson R1800 driver handle this ?


Ernst Dinkla

try: [a href=\"http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/]http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/[/url]