Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear => Topic started by: Dinarius on January 16, 2008, 03:11:13 pm
-
How can you find out how many exposures (Shutter actuations) have been clocked on a Canon 1DsMklll or a 5D?
Thanks.
D.
-
How can you find out how many exposures (Shutter actuations) have been clocked on a Canon 1DsMklll or a 5D?
Thanks.
D.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=167613\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
For these bodies there doesn't seem to be any way to tell other than to ask Canon to read off the values and then tell you.
None of the xxxD, xxD and xD bodies have ever been readable for shutter actuations except by Canon - there have been numerous attempts to do this but none have ever worked to my knowledge.
On the 1DMkIII Canon changed the way the body stores the actuation info. and the programs which worked on the previous 1 series bodies now don't. Sorry.
-
I got my 1DsMKIII yesteday and there is a menu item which shows how many shutter actuations. It's under the battery condiition. Very easy now.
-
Search the forum database because I think this has been already discussed.
-
Search the forum database because I think this has been already discussed.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=168484\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Correct, but for MK2s (&MK1s) only, MK3s are different in that respect (CanCount doesn't work. I haven't tried Capture One).
-
I got my 1DsMKIII yesteday and there is a menu item which shows how many shutter actuations. It's under the battery condiition. Very easy now.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=168431\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
But I think you will find that it only counts shutter actuations on the current battery charge. Once the battery is re-charged the counter resets.
Jim
-
The menu shows the shutter actuation only for the current
battery. It does not give the total number of shutter actuations
as Jim pointed out earlier.
Rob
-
To get the total number of shutter actuations on my 1Ds Mk2 I use the following in Photoshop:-
1) Open the last image taken on your camera
2) Select: File -> File Info
3) In the EXIF dialog box that appears goto "Advanced" and then expand the section
titled: "http://ns.adobe.com/exif/1.0/aux/".
The shutter actuation number is to the right of the data item: "aux:ImageNumber".
I have attached a screen grab (GIF file) of the EXIF data from one of my images.
Andy :-)
[attachment=4934:attachment]
-
To get the total number of shutter actuations on my 1Ds Mk2 I use the following in Photoshop:-
1) Open the last image taken on your camera
2) Select: File -> File Info
3) In the EXIF dialog box that appears goto "Advanced" and then expand the section
titled: "http://ns.adobe.com/exif/1.0/aux/".
The shutter actuation number is to the right of the data item: "aux:ImageNumber".
I have attached a screen grab (GIF file) of the EXIF data from one of my images.
Andy :-)
[attachment=4934:attachment]
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=170072\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Does not work for the 5D. Mine shows one and it should be well over 1000.
-
I had spoken too soon. It would have been too much to ask Canon to make this information that easy. How much more difficult would it have been to have a trip meter and an overall odometer built in. Oh well.
-
I had spoken too soon. It would have been too much to ask Canon to make this information that easy. How much more difficult would it have been to have a trip meter and an overall odometer built in. Oh well.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=170327\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
What? And reduce second-hand possibilities? Think of the car market and you understand clearly why any impediment to re-sale cuts into the chance of new sales. Who´d advocate that, short of legislation!
Rob C
-
"What? And reduce second-hand possibilities? Think of the car market and you understand clearly why any impediment to re-sale cuts into the chance of new sales. Who´d advocate that, short of legislation!"
I'm not sure how it would be an impediment to resale when the first question anyone asks is how many actuations the camera has. It's not only good for resale to know that, it's also good for any user to know when it might be time for preventive maintenance. If you take your camera into any Canon service center, they'll read it to you for free. I know that Phase has this info built into their cameras and there's no real reason for Canon not to include this too.