Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: FastGlass on January 14, 2008, 09:22:40 pm

Title: Very Few Reported Canon Problems
Post by: FastGlass on January 14, 2008, 09:22:40 pm
It seems that Canon wide format printers have fewer problems reported than Epson(clogs) or HP(all manner of ailments), so that seems to be the printer I'll buy.

But before I pull the trigger, does anyone know of anything I should be aware of?  

Fast
Title: Very Few Reported Canon Problems
Post by: rdonson on January 14, 2008, 09:47:20 pm
Quote
It seems that Canon wide format printers have fewer problems reported than Epson(clogs) or HP(all manner of ailments), so that seems to be the printer I'll buy.

But before I pull the trigger, does anyone know of anything I should be aware of?  

Fast
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=167202\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]


Not sure where you're getting your information.  If its based on reading this forum your best bet would be the HP Z6100 - no problems reported here at all.  
Title: Very Few Reported Canon Problems
Post by: John Hollenberg on January 14, 2008, 10:18:00 pm
The Canon is not free of problems, but early reports seem quite favorable.  There are issues with all printers.  To see which ones are present for Canon, and whether they might affect your use of the printer:

http://canonipf.wikispaces.com/Why+To+Buy (http://canonipf.wikispaces.com/Why+To+Buy)

http://canonipf.wikispaces.com/Considerati...ng+This+Printer (http://canonipf.wikispaces.com/Considerations+Before+Buying+This+Printer)

You can also join the Wiki and ask questions in the Discussion Forum to get feedback from those who own the particular printer you are considering purchasing.

--John
Title: Very Few Reported Canon Problems
Post by: jpgentry on January 15, 2008, 12:02:05 am
I'm on my second Canon and so far I've been very happy with both.  From a print quality perspective the 9100/8100/5100 series is really nice.  There is quite a bit less grain in the images (almost none) as compared to the 9000/8000/5000 and the blacks and greys are truly wonderful (as the color has always been.)

I recommend the ipf line highly with no reservations.

-Jonathan
Title: Very Few Reported Canon Problems
Post by: FastGlass on January 17, 2008, 02:35:38 pm
Thanks to all who responded. I thinking that while I won't be printing 44" wide very often, if ever, I'll get the iPF8100 printer and use the narrow rolls for most of my prints.

What is the best nesting solution software to print 4x6, 5x7, 8x10's on roll paper?
Canon propritary that comes with the printer, Qimage, PhotoShop CS3?

TIA,

FastGlass
Title: Very Few Reported Canon Problems
Post by: jpgentry on January 17, 2008, 05:59:08 pm
VERY hard to beat Qimage.  The default sharpening and interpolating alone is worth it.