Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Digital Cameras & Shooting Techniques => Topic started by: Gary Ferguson on January 11, 2008, 05:00:46 pm

Title: 1DS MkIII
Post by: Gary Ferguson on January 11, 2008, 05:00:46 pm
Picked up my 1Ds MkIII the other day. No real surprises, except for the absolutely fantastic viewfinder.

I was dropping of a 1Ds MkII at the same time so got the chance to compare them side by side with the same lenses fitted. It's a bit brighter, and a bit bigger, but the 1Ds MkIII viewfinder image looks significantly crisper, even right into the corners. I find manual focusing now becomes possible and closely scrutinising the composition is a real treat.

It was a pleasant surprise in the digital era to encounter such significant improvement in what is a basic photographic feature, the viewfinder. Well done Canon!
Title: 1DS MkIII
Post by: eronald on January 11, 2008, 07:14:24 pm
It's a GREAT viewfinder, not simply a good one.

Edmund

Quote
Picked up my 1Ds MkIII the other day. No real surprises, except for the absolutely fantastic viewfinder.

I was dropping of a 1Ds MkII at the same time so got the chance to compare them side by side with the same lenses fitted. It's a bit brighter, and a bit bigger, but the 1Ds MkIII viewfinder image looks significantly crisper, even right into the corners. I find manual focusing now becomes possible and closely scrutinising the composition is a real treat.

It was a pleasant surprise in the digital era to encounter such significant improvement in what is a basic photographic feature, the viewfinder. Well done Canon!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=166589\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Title: 1DS MkIII
Post by: djgarcia on January 11, 2008, 09:34:41 pm
It is at that. I'm also in the 1Ds2 and 1Ds3 situation, but I'm keeping the 2 as a backup / second body. One thing I really like is the Info mode with the camera settings on it. It makes configuring the shot a joy, especially on a tripod. I have found many nice improvements in how the functions are laid out and displayed vs. the 1Ds2.
Title: 1DS MkIII
Post by: David Anderson on January 12, 2008, 03:56:25 am
One of my favorite things on the new model is the custom menu - it saves a lot of mucking around on a shoot..

The Viewfinder is great as well, using the tilts is MUCH easier on the III.
Title: 1DS MkIII
Post by: shelby_lewis on January 12, 2008, 03:06:30 pm
Quote
It's a GREAT viewfinder, not simply a good one.

Edmund
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=166607\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yeah but you should use my rz67 II.... wanna talk about a great viewfinder  

Really... I can't wait to see the mkIII's viewfinder... I've heard it is pretty stunning.
Title: 1DS MkIII
Post by: Andy M on January 12, 2008, 06:05:08 pm
I'll add another; the battery.

Mine's still on its first charge, and I've heard of many getting 6,000 shots out of a single cycle. Amazing!

Once the dust has settled I think people will really come to appreciate just how good a camera the 1Ds 3 is.
Title: 1DS MkIII
Post by: jjj on January 12, 2008, 06:20:35 pm
Quote
Once the dust has settled I think people will really come to appreciate just how good a camera the 1Ds 3 is.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a] (http://index.php?act=findpost&pid=166802\")
Maybe if you get a good one, you may be impressed.
Others haven't been so lucky.

[a href=\"http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=22289&hl=]http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....topic=22289&hl=[/url]
Title: 1DS MkIII
Post by: djgarcia on January 12, 2008, 06:21:23 pm
Just got back from shooting some marsh, twigs and tree shots that only my mother would like. I really, really like the camera! Not perfect, but nothing is.

Yes, the battery, and having a reliable battery status available, something Nikon and others have had.
Title: 1DS MkIII
Post by: djgarcia on January 12, 2008, 06:26:13 pm
jjj, I purposefully did not "contaminate" this thread with that one, which is a separate thread in which I'm also actively participating. Anybody reading this thread I'm sure has seen its entry. Maybe we can rename this thread "Nice things about the 1DsIII" .
Title: 1DS MkIII
Post by: Gary Ferguson on January 20, 2008, 03:52:01 pm
Quote
Maybe if you get a good one, you may be impressed.
Others haven't been so lucky.

http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....topic=22289&hl= (http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=22289&hl=)
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=166805\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Prompted by your post I tripod mounted a 1Ds MkIII and evaluated the horizon accuracy, absolutely precise and accurate. Maybe I got lucky, but no complaints from me about viewfinder accuracy.
Title: 1DS MkIII
Post by: Andy M on January 20, 2008, 06:00:29 pm
Quote
Maybe if you get a good one, you may be impressed.
Others haven't been so lucky.

http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....topic=22289&hl= (http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=22289&hl=)
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=166805\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I have one, and it's prefect thanks
Title: 1DS MkIII
Post by: eronald on January 20, 2008, 06:19:34 pm
Quote
I have one, and it's prefect thanks
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=168451\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I used a 1DsIII for an afternoon, and really liked it. It's fast and snappy, and lighter than the previous one, VIEWFINDER IS WONDERFUL, battery is said to last forever, body seems even easier to hold now it's lighter, and the skin tone even looks a bit less plastic than the 1Ds2.

If an updated 5D comes along that has the same improved viewfinder , weight, and battery I'd guess every single member of this forum will buy one as a carryaround.

Edmund
Title: 1DS MkIII
Post by: Ralph Eisenberg on January 21, 2008, 02:01:37 am
Quote
I used a 1DsIII for an afternoon, and really liked it. It's fast and snappy, and lighter than the previous one, VIEWFINDER IS WONDERFUL, battery is said to last forever, body seems even easier to hold now it's lighter, and the skin tone even looks a bit less plastic than the 1Ds2.

If an updated 5D comes along that has the same improved viewfinder , weight, and battery I'd guess every single member of this forum will buy one as a carryaround.

Edmund
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=168455\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Edmund,

You certainly guessed right.... Waiting hopefully to see what will be proposed.