Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: spherop on January 07, 2008, 12:38:15 pm

Title: are there good translucent papers?
Post by: spherop on January 07, 2008, 12:38:15 pm
any one know of a good translucent paper? for epson 3800.

curious about using for some backlit imagery.

thx
Title: are there good translucent papers?
Post by: SeanPuckett on January 10, 2008, 08:48:05 pm
Look for lightweight fabrics, e.g. intended for use in custom drapery/table cloth printing.
It's expensive but backlights very nicely -- and can be stretched like canvas.
Title: are there good translucent papers?
Post by: joncanfield on January 11, 2008, 09:10:41 pm
I believe Epson has come out with a new backlit paper but I haven't seen it yet. I've done some prints on the Inkpress backlit film and thought it did a nice job
Title: are there good translucent papers?
Post by: jhein on January 14, 2008, 12:01:00 pm
Check out Intellicoat.  They have a backlit, pigment compatible film called Novara.
It is new.  Here is the link:

http://www.magicinkjet.com/product_52.html (http://www.magicinkjet.com/product_52.html)

good luck
Jim
Title: are there good translucent papers?
Post by: digitaldog on January 14, 2008, 01:01:05 pm
Epson has released (or is just about to release) such a paper. I just finished the profile for it. I'll check to see when its released and what its called. However, it only ships in 24" rolls!
Title: are there good translucent papers?
Post by: Dave Carter on January 14, 2008, 03:36:43 pm
I have been using some "Poster Matte" and "Outdoor Backlit".  Both are from Digital Art Supplies in San Diego and after profiling, look pretty good with back-light.

You can ask Mark for some sample sheets of each.

Good luck,
Dave
Title: are there good translucent papers?
Post by: neoprinter on January 17, 2008, 09:22:59 pm
Photo Glow is another one.  I've printed a number of 30"X30" backlits for the Burgerville chain on it with an Epson 9600 using MK ink.  It comes in 42" rolls also, though not listed on their site.  You have to call them.

One caveat for printing on barrier materials such as this:  prints have to be allowed to dry completely before enclosing in a light box, or the glycol humectant will form a film on the glass, same situation as framing RC inkjet prints.  I had Burgerville tape the prints to the front of the box overnight at least, before enclosing.

http://www.photoglow.com/pp_page.html (http://www.photoglow.com/pp_page.html)
Title: are there good translucent papers?
Post by: Scott Martin on January 17, 2008, 09:34:03 pm
Lexjet has a transflective (works as a reflective print or transmissive backlight) material called AquaLight. Its ~$0.92 per square foot and only available in 24, 36, 50 and 60 inch rolls. It is a polyester film that has a smooth printable surface that looks and feels surprisingly like Epson enhanced matte paper. Compatible with all dye and pigment printers. Long drying time.
http://www.lexjet.com/lexjet/product_disp....id=103&pf_id=OB (http://www.lexjet.com/lexjet/product_disp.asp?dept_id=103&pf_id=OB)
Title: are there good translucent papers?
Post by: joncanfield on January 18, 2008, 11:19:00 pm
Interesting that the Epson is only coming in rolls