Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Digital Image Processing => Topic started by: JerryReed on January 05, 2008, 07:38:19 am
-
Most of the images that I make are shot in the studio on a 16-shot digital back, where I have a GreTag Macbeth Color Checker in the scene to use as a reference. My practice is to increase the lighting until I achieve 230-235 on the white square, knowing that I can print that value (white with some detail).
Now the question, I sometimes have a bit of space to the right of the first observable highlight data in the Tif files' histogram, with a LEVELs adjustment layer and holding down the OPTION/ALT key while dragging the highlight slider to the left until the screen shows the first pixels light up. The meaning that I take from this observation is that there are no RGB data to the right of that point.
Is that a correct understanding?
Jerry Reed
-
Most of the images that I make are shot in the studio on a 16-shot digital back, where I have a GreTag Macbeth Color Checker in the scene to use as a reference. My practice is to increase the lighting until I achieve 230-235 on the white square, knowing that I can print that value (white with some detail).
Now the question, I sometimes have a bit of space to the right of the first observable highlight data in the Tif files' histogram, with a LEVELs adjustment layer and holding down the OPTION/ALT key while dragging the highlight slider to the left until the screen shows the first pixels light up. The meaning that I take from this observation is that there are no RGB data to the right of that point.
Is that a correct understanding?
Jerry Reed
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=165173\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
That is correct. I don't know what the white in the Macbeth Color checker is supposed to read when "correctly exposed" but I would light a scene so as to provide the full dynamic range that the camera can capture, and then adjust for printing in my final version of the image.
I don't remember what the black and white values are in the electronic version of the GTM Color Checker file. I'll check it out myself, later today.