Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: John Hollenberg on December 30, 2007, 11:57:46 am
-
Wilhelm has finally published results for a Canon printer, the PIXMA Pro 9500. Only two papers tested, approximately 100 years under glass. Figures for B&W are very good at over 300 years:
http://wilhelm-research.com/canon/9500.html (http://wilhelm-research.com/canon/9500.html)
No data on iPF printers, but this is at least a start.
--John
-
What are you smoking John - B&W only VERY GOOD at 300 years?
-
Excellent results and I hope they carry over to the ipf series.
I don't understand leading off with this printer though -- I thought it was a dye printer based on the model number.
I do wish they'd use more standard papers for comparison. Take plain old photo rag (not a special HP version) for the art paper, for example. A non-denominational luster/semi gloss paper gets more difficult as I think Epson's luster is probably the most commonly used but how about Ilford's smooth pearl? I don't know anyone that would prefer Canon's semigloss over either of these. Might be interesting to try and isolate the comparison to just the inks, for all the brands/models.
Reading the fine print you kind of wonder why Kodak even bothers anymore.
Doug
-
What are you smoking John - B&W only VERY GOOD at 300 years?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=164055\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
OK, they are merely good. Sorry for the excess brand loyalty
PS They would be more impressive if the results were for the iPF printers and on a number of different papers. Also note that these results are not superior to other printers for B&W. Epson 9880 has 100-400 years depending on the paper. Apparently B&W print life is not too much of an issue anymore.
--John
-
There is a very interesting post on DP Review regarding fading and methods of testing. The author suggests that single endpoint results may not give the best information to consumers:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp...essage=26223634 (http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1003&message=26223634)
--John