Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Digital Cameras & Shooting Techniques => Topic started by: alangubbay on December 30, 2007, 06:09:52 am

Title: Mirror Lockup on Nikon D300
Post by: alangubbay on December 30, 2007, 06:09:52 am
With mirror lockup activated, I find that I just cannot get the shutter to open for longer than 1/4 sec.  The only way that I have found to get around this problem is to use the self-timer and set the 1 second mirror/shutter delay in the menu.  However, I have a feeling that 1 second is not really long enough to allow the vibration to settle down.  Has anyone else some accross this?  Alan
Title: Mirror Lockup on Nikon D300
Post by: CJL on December 30, 2007, 08:54:23 am
Quote
With mirror lockup activated, I find that I just cannot get the shutter to open for longer than 1/4 sec.  The only way that I have found to get around this problem is to use the self-timer and set the 1 second mirror/shutter delay in the menu.  However, I have a feeling that 1 second is not really long enough to allow the vibration to settle down.  Has anyone else some accross this?  Alan
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=164005\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

No problems with either of my D300's... the shutter stays open for whatever speed I set (or the appropriate shutter speed chosen by the camera in Av mode) when I use the MLU.
Title: Mirror Lockup on Nikon D300
Post by: alangubbay on December 31, 2007, 11:44:16 am
Quote
No problems with either of my D300's... the shutter stays open for whatever speed I set (or the appropriate shutter speed chosen by the camera in Av mode) when I use the MLU.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=164018\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thank you for your response.  I have found that this is a curious feature of this model, although not mentioned in the manual.  If one does not press the shutter button a second time but waits for self-activation after 30 seconds, 1/4 sec is the longest exposure possible!       Alan