Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: Scott McGee on December 28, 2007, 05:59:27 pm

Title: Epson 9880 and printing proofs
Post by: Scott McGee on December 28, 2007, 05:59:27 pm
I'm confused by the new Photoshop CS3 Print dialog box, and hope someone can help.

I'm printing to an Epson 9880, and when working on my photo in Photoshop I have soft proofing enabled, using the profile that is specific to my printer and the paper I'm printing on. No problem with this.

In the Print dialog box, under the "Print" heading, I have "Proof" selected, because it specifies the profile for my printer and paper, and it's also the profile that I used for the soft proofing.

But I'm not sure if I should set Color Handling to "Photoshop Manages Color" or "No Color Management".

It seems to me that since I have "Proof" selected, then I should also select "No Color Management" as the color handling option. Is this correct, or should I set color handling to "Photoshop Manages Color", even when I have "Proof" selected?

See the attached screenshots of the Print dialog boxes to get a clearer idea of what I'm confused about.

[attachment=4447:attachment]  [attachment=4448:attachment]
Title: Epson 9880 and printing proofs
Post by: Schewe on December 28, 2007, 06:38:04 pm
Quote
I'm confused by the new Photoshop CS3 Print dialog box, and hope someone can help.

I'm printing to an Epson 9880, and when working on my photo in Photoshop I have soft proofing enabled, using the profile that is specific to my printer and the paper I'm printing on. No problem with this.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=163675\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]


Then you should prolly end it there and simply use the same profile (not the proof source) when printing with Photoshop Manages Color.

The Prof as source is really intended to be used more for cross rendered proofing where you want to proof CMYK while keeping your image in RGB.

The proof as source doesn't really buy you anything when printing out to printers expecting RGB output. And, it'll confuse the heck out of you if you aren't using it correctly.
Title: Epson 9880 and printing proofs
Post by: Scott McGee on December 28, 2007, 06:49:26 pm
Quote
Then you should prolly end it there and simply use the same profile (not the proof source) when printing with Photoshop Manages Color.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=163684\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]


Thanks Jeff. Just to make sure I understand you correctly, I take it I should set my printing options as per the attached screenshot, correct?

Thanks,
Scott


[attachment=4449:attachment]
Title: Epson 9880 and printing proofs
Post by: Schewe on December 28, 2007, 10:47:04 pm
Quote
Thanks Jeff. Just to make sure I understand you correctly, I take it I should set my printing options as per the attached screenshot, correct?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=163688\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]


Yep...but select the best rendering intent based on the results of the soft proof.
Title: Epson 9880 and printing proofs
Post by: Scott McGee on December 28, 2007, 11:45:06 pm
Quote
Yep...but select the best rendering intent based on the results of the soft proof.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=163721\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]


Great. Thanks much. By the way, I'm working my way through Camera Raw for CS3. Great book!