Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: Jeremy Roussak on December 28, 2007, 02:01:17 pm

Title: Epson 3800
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on December 28, 2007, 02:01:17 pm
Hi,

Could someone who owns one of these beasts please tell me the distance between the outer sides of the left and right feet on the underside? In other words, how wide a table will I need to stand it on? Are the feet right in the corners?

Thanks

Jeremy
Title: Epson 3800
Post by: Booswalia on December 28, 2007, 02:35:37 pm
Quote
Hi,

Could someone who owns one of these beasts please tell me the distance between the outer sides of the left and right feet on the underside? In other words, how wide a table will I need to stand it on? Are the feet right in the corners?

Thanks

Jeremy
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=163633\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You would need a table that's a minimum of 22 inches wide.  That will leave about 4 inches hanging over the edge on the right and about 2 inches on the left.
Title: Epson 3800
Post by: duraace on December 28, 2007, 10:25:29 pm
You need a bit of space behind the printer as well, when using the manual front loader (I never will, because it's for very thick paper).  I love mine.  It's a really nice printer.
Title: Epson 3800
Post by: Gregory on December 29, 2007, 07:51:56 am
distance between outside edges of front feet: 21" (note. the feet are not centred)
distance between outside edges of side feet: 12" (note. three rows of feet from front to back)

from the edge of the paper loader at the back to the outer edge of the front feet: 16"

you would need to allow room for the paper at the back to extend beyond the (automatic) feeder, and this measurement does not apply to the manual feeder.

cheers.
Title: Epson 3800
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on December 29, 2007, 04:17:22 pm
Quote
distance between outside edges of front feet: 21" (note. the feet are not centred)
distance between outside edges of side feet: 12" (note. three rows of feet from front to back)

from the edge of the paper loader at the back to the outer edge of the front feet: 16"

you would need to allow room for the paper at the back to extend beyond the (automatic) feeder, and this measurement does not apply to the manual feeder.

cheers.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=163811\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That's very helpful. Gregory, your measurement is an inch less than Booswalia's, and the extra inch is (here, as so often in life) critical: I have a table that is fractionally under 21 inches wide. What is the distance between the inside edges of the front feet?

One other question: does the printer shake around much when printing? My table is on castors on carpet.

I suppose the underlying question is whether I need to buy a new table as well as a new printer.

Thanks.

Jeremy
Title: Epson 3800
Post by: Booswalia on December 29, 2007, 07:01:33 pm
Quote
That's very helpful. Gregory, your measurement is an inch less than Booswalia's, and the extra inch is (here, as so often in life) critical: I have a table that is fractionally under 21 inches wide. What is the distance between the inside edges of the front feet?

One other question: does the printer shake around much when printing? My table is on castors on carpet.

I suppose the underlying question is whether I need to buy a new table as well as a new printer.

Thanks.

Jeremy
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=163882\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Jeremy.
I don't think I would sit this printer on a table that's barely wide enough and on casters.  Just doesn't sound very stable to me.

My table was a little smaller than I would have liked it to be too. I just took a couple of large boards that are 28 inches long and sat them on top of the table.  It works great.
Title: Epson 3800
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on December 30, 2007, 03:11:28 pm
Quote
Hi Jeremy.
I don't think I would sit this printer on a table that's barely wide enough and on casters.  Just doesn't sound very stable to me.

My table was a little smaller than I would have liked it to be too. I just took a couple of large boards that are 28 inches long and sat them on top of the table.  It works great.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=163913\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Yes, I was (slowly) reaching this conclusion. I think I'll buy some shelving.

Thanks again.

Jeremy
Title: Epson 3800
Post by: 01af on December 31, 2007, 06:01:39 am
Yes, the Epson 3800 (as any inkjet printer) does some shaking when printing, due to the moving mass of the print head. Putting it on a flimsy table on castors definitely seems a bad idea to me.

By the way, my printer currently is sitting right on the floor. Very sturdy, no shaking ;-)

-- Olaf
Title: Epson 3800
Post by: abiggs on December 31, 2007, 10:18:40 am
hey guys, I know this has been mentioned a number of times in prior threads, I found a great product back in 2004 that I originally bought for my Epson 4000. It now has my Epson 3800 on it, and it works great.

http://www.andybiggs.com/article_Epson4000desk.html (http://www.andybiggs.com/article_Epson4000desk.html)