Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Adobe Lightroom Q&A => Topic started by: cookielida on December 24, 2007, 02:47:37 am

Title: LR compatibility to Quad processors
Post by: cookielida on December 24, 2007, 02:47:37 am
Hey All!
I've been seeing some posting on speed issues on LR (similar to those I experience). I am working with an old P4 2.6Mz (bought on 2004) and it takes something like 10sec for each image to be rendered 1:1 (I am not sure what is the config on the rendering, I need to check that one...). Anyway, I am planning to buy a new PC and opting for one of the best and fast CPU - the Q6600, 8M cache quad core. Question is, does LR can utilize such a powerfull computing resource? is it something that you can configure?
10x for the help and time,
Chen
Title: LR compatibility to Quad processors
Post by: James DeMoss on December 24, 2007, 06:12:06 am
Quote
Hey All!
I've been seeing some posting on speed issues on LR (similar to those I experience). I am working with an old P4 2.6Mz (bought on 2004) and it takes something like 10sec for each image to be rendered 1:1 (I am not sure what is the config on the rendering, I need to check that one...). Anyway, I am planning to buy a new PC and opting for one of the best and fast CPU - the Q6600, 8M cache quad core. Question is, does LR can utilize such a powerfull computing resource? is it something that you can configure?
10x for the help and time,
Chen
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=162832\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

LR runs quite well with my Intel Quad core system. However Memory is what makes the quad cores sing to you. I use Vista Ultimate 32 Bit, but to get over 4 GB of memory you need to use 64 bit version of Vista

My .02 cents

James
Title: LR compatibility to Quad processors
Post by: jpgentry on December 26, 2007, 05:02:16 pm
I'm using Vista 64 bit with 4GB memory and the Intel Quad Q6600.  Lightroom runs like a champ!  A few mild bugs with printing from Photoshop CS3 but I think that is printer driver issues not CS3, and nothing that couldn't be worked around by relaunching the driver.

-Jonathan

Quote
LR runs quite well with my Intel Quad core system. However Memory is what makes the quad cores sing to you. I use Vista Ultimate 32 Bit, but to get over 4 GB of memory you need to use 64 bit version of Vista

My .02 cents

James
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=162837\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Title: LR compatibility to Quad processors
Post by: budjames on December 27, 2007, 07:37:18 am
I'm running Leopard (64 bit OS) on my MacPro 8-core w/12 GB of RAM. Lightroom and PS CS3 both run very well, however, I think that neither of these programs are written to fully exploit the benefits of a 64 bit OS. My understanding is that these are still 32 bit programs.

Once the programmers catch up to the hardware and OS's capabilities, both of these programs should fly.

Bud James
North Wales, PA