Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Adobe Lightroom Q&A => Topic started by: kaimaui on December 24, 2007, 12:13:19 am

Title: LIghtroom coputer 39mp back files
Post by: kaimaui on December 24, 2007, 12:13:19 am
I am trying to decide on a new computer for lightroom and the Hasselblad files that come from the 39mp back.

I currently have a dell m90 laptop with 4gb of ram but it simple is not up to the task of the large files.

I thought about getting either a dell workstation or the large I-mac. Is 4gb of ram enough.
Is the imac enough? Does the mac get away with less raam then a pc?

Thanks

KAI
Title: LIghtroom coputer 39mp back files
Post by: MARK WALLACK on December 24, 2007, 01:23:59 pm
Quote
I am trying to decide on a new computer for lightroom and the Hasselblad files that come from the 39mp back.

I currently have a dell m90 laptop with 4gb of ram but it simple is not up to the task of the large files.

I thought about getting either a dell workstation or the large I-mac. Is 4gb of ram enough.
Is the imac enough? Does the mac get away with less raam then a pc?

Thanks

KAI
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=162816\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

With that size file image file I would go with a new Mac Pro and load it with much as you can afford.   And a nice 500GB external Hard Drive will prevent you from ever loosing those  great files.
Title: LIghtroom coputer 39mp back files
Post by: Goodlistener on December 29, 2007, 10:01:41 pm
Would you like to have a nice life and lots of time for the creative process?
Get a mac.
Title: LIghtroom coputer 39mp back files
Post by: Espen Sortland on December 30, 2007, 04:36:21 am
Quote
With that size file image file I would go with a new Mac Pro and load it with much as you can afford.   And a nice 500GB external Hard Drive will prevent you from ever loosing those  great files.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=162900\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

All harddrives are prone to failure. Internal or external ones fail just as easily. I recently bought three 750gb external disks to keep as a backup. Two offsite (My parents house and work) and one at home. These are in addition to my RAID5 on my workstation.

I backup the Lightroom database/images to the external disk here once a week, (images are stored on a small wd passport and a Wolverine ESP also) until i can move the backup to the other locations, about once every 2-3 weeks.