Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Digital Cameras & Shooting Techniques => Topic started by: bobby18301 on December 22, 2007, 09:39:33 am
-
Hummm...strange one here. Was holding my camera and scrolling through the various menus when "click"...the camera took a photo. This happened about five more times and again the next day when I was doing the same thing. I called Nikon tech and the man told me to re-seat my lens. Just now, with the camera on and the lens cap on, I simply picked the camera up and it snapped two photos! I'm wondering if this camera has to go back to Nikon?
-
Are you inadvertently pressing the second shutter release button which is on the vertical grip?? If you have the camera in your lap, that button can easily be triggered by accident.
-
Are you inadvertently pressing the second shutter release button which is on the vertical grip?? If you have the camera in your lap, that button can easily be triggered by accident.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=162472\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
No, my hand (or lap) is not touching that button.
-
Hummm...strange one here. Was holding my camera and scrolling through the various menus when "click"...the camera took a photo. This happened about five more times and again the next day when I was doing the same thing. I called Nikon tech and the man told me to re-seat my lens. Just now, with the camera on and the lens cap on, I simply picked the camera up and it snapped two photos! I'm wondering if this camera has to go back to Nikon?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=162465\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I wouldn't return the camera for an exchange, until I have confirmed that it is taking inferior pictures to my own ... just a thought.
-
I wouldn't return the camera for an exchange, until I have confirmed that it is taking inferior pictures to my own ... just a thought.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=162475\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
-
Hummm...strange one here. Was holding my camera and scrolling through the various menus when "click"...the camera took a photo. This happened about five more times and again the next day when I was doing the same thing. I called Nikon tech and the man told me to re-seat my lens. Just now, with the camera on and the lens cap on, I simply picked the camera up and it snapped two photos! I'm wondering if this camera has to go back to Nikon?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=162465\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Sorry Bobby, I'm no help here, but good humor needs to be acknowledged...
hope you solve this 'mysterious' problem...
kind regards
M
-
Well now at least you can have a sensible answer when people ask you if your camera takes good photos.
-
Hummm...strange one here. Was holding my camera and scrolling through the various menus when "click"...the camera took a photo.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=162465\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
What is the humidity like? Were you wearing gloves?
-
The only thing that makes any sense (other than: "do I like the photos the camera took on its own compared to mine")(which was quite funny!) is the second shutter button on the bottom. I did notice that it was not locked in the off position. It is now. I'll see if it happens again.
-
The only thing that makes any sense (other than: "do I like the photos the camera took on its own compared to mine")(which was quite funny!) is the second shutter button on the bottom. I did notice that it was not locked in the off position. It is now. I'll see if it happens again.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=162499\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I've done that (shot stuff with the second button on a Nikon) though not with the D3 yet, and it can be disconcerting and mystifying until you figure it out; it's like all those broken-shutter shots with a Leica until you think, "er, did I take off the lens cap?" If the bottom button is unlocked, you *will* trip it off occasionally, especially when doing things like looking at menus, because you tend to hang on to the bottom of the camera with your fingertips while doing that.
JC
-
I've done that (shot stuff with the second button on a Nikon) though not with the D3 yet, and it can be disconcerting and mystifying until you figure it out; it's like all those broken-shutter shots with a Leica until you think, "er, did I take off the lens cap?" If the bottom button is unlocked, you *will* trip it off occasionally, especially when doing things like looking at menus, because you tend to hang on to the bottom of the camera with your fingertips while doing that.
JC
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=162506\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Well, these answers have been great. Much more useful information than I got from the tech guy ("well, I guess you'll just have to return it"...yeh, right! I'm lucky I even got one and now I'm going to send it back???).
-
My D200 will occasionally shoot two frames with one button push, even though it's set on "single". Since it hasn't got worse over time, and since I live far away from Nikon service I'm ignoring it. I does worry me when it happens, though. Any abnormality like that could lead to bigger problems.
-
My only experience with the camera seeming to take shots on its own, was by inadvertently pressing the extra battery grip shutter button on the side, with the edge of my hand, but you say you've ruled this out.