Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: samuel_js on December 19, 2007, 04:59:00 pm

Title: Capture One 4 released
Post by: samuel_js on December 19, 2007, 04:59:00 pm
http://www.phaseone.com/4/ (http://www.phaseone.com/4/)


Cheers & Merry Christmas
Don't eat too much
Title: Capture One 4 released
Post by: digitaldog on December 19, 2007, 05:31:44 pm
Kevin Raber showed it off at the Raw Chef challenge at PPE a few months ago and it looked pretty nice. Considering we had Lightroom and Aperture (Bibble too), going from the old Phase UI to this was a big step forward. How well it renders remains to be seen.
Title: Capture One 4 released
Post by: Streetwise on December 19, 2007, 09:49:46 pm
Quote
http://www.phaseone.com/4/ (http://www.phaseone.com/4/)
Cheers & Merry Christmas
Don't eat too much
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=161817\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]


I'm not sure how Capture One 4 compares to Capture One Pro that I have now. Isn't Pro more robust?

Dave
Title: Capture One 4 released
Post by: Leonardo Barreto on December 19, 2007, 11:45:18 pm
I want the Capture 1 DB, to be able to shoot tethered. Also someone close to Phase said to me that there will be lens correction tool in the Pro/DB. I definitively want that to correct the barrel of my 35mm.
Title: Capture One 4 released
Post by: Leonardo Barreto on December 19, 2007, 11:56:51 pm
I installed C1 4 and it looks exactly like the Beta 2 ... feels fast ...
Title: Capture One 4 released
Post by: RicAgu on December 20, 2007, 01:01:12 am
Why did I know there were going to pull this BS!

So correct me if I am wrong.  Is Phase not a PROFESSIONAL product?

Why do we care if a none pro version is out?

What we really need is full Leopard support!

Leopard has been out for over a month and Apple stop shipping any machines with Tiger over three weeks ago.

Can you please just release 3.7.Leopard Support
Title: Capture One 4 released
Post by: jpjespersen on December 20, 2007, 10:29:13 am
I run 3.7DB with leopard on an intel and non intel Mac, and haven't seen any problems.
JP
Quote
Why did I know there were going to pull this BS!

So correct me if I am wrong.  Is Phase not a PROFESSIONAL product?

Why do we care if a none pro version is out?

What we really need is full Leopard support!

Leopard has been out for over a month and Apple stop shipping any machines with Tiger over three weeks ago.

Can you please just release 3.7.Leopard Support
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=161914\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Title: Capture One 4 released
Post by: RicAgu on December 20, 2007, 10:41:13 am
You're one of the few.  

You can't important from card.

You can't tether with out hiccups.

No stability and no security that your files will be there.

Even Phase one says this on their forum.

How did you install?

Anyone else having luck?
Title: Capture One 4 released
Post by: eronald on December 20, 2007, 10:59:13 am
Don't bother with Leopard for now, guys ... let the crowd in front of you sweep the bugs ...

Edmund

Quote
You're one of the few. 

You can't important from card.

You can't tether with out hiccups.

No stability and no security that your files will be there.

Even Phase one says this on their forum.

How did you install?

Anyone else having luck?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=162007\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Title: Capture One 4 released
Post by: jpjespersen on December 20, 2007, 01:28:41 pm
Yeah, I probably don't use it as intensively as you guys at the moment.

1-I don't import from CF Card- I just copy the files to hard drive and direct C1 to them.

2-I don't shoot tethered.

3-I shoot a low number of images and mostly use lightroom and bridge for organizing of files.
 
4-I am just learning C1 so I may not know if things are not working properly.

JP
Quote
You're one of the few. 

You can't important from card.

You can't tether with out hiccups.

No stability and no security that your files will be there.

Even Phase one says this on their forum.

How did you install?

Anyone else having luck?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=162007\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Title: Capture One 4 released
Post by: G_Allen on December 20, 2007, 01:52:06 pm
I'm running 3.7.7 Pro on a new Macbook Pro with Leopard, no problems at all. I installed it by opening up the installer package, and manually copying the program and color profiles to their appropriate folders.

I shoot tethered from a P30+.
Title: Capture One 4 released
Post by: johnkraus on December 20, 2007, 04:21:23 pm
I was told 3.7.8 is supposed to be out by end of year. Bugs fixed as well as new firmware for all the Plus backs. I believe it will work with Panther as well, but might have heard that wrong.
Capture 4 non pro is lacking tethered support, Styles, Color Editor, Sessions,  and more. I'm also finding it quite buggy- it's crashed several times on me already. It's pretty fast, though, and Previews look good. Profiles also look better- I think it will be a good product.
Re: an earlier comment about Canon files, DPP has always had a better look than Capture One. Clunky interface, but gorgeous color.
Title: Capture One 4 released
Post by: Leonardo Barreto on December 20, 2007, 11:31:54 pm
No ColorEditor
Can't shoot tethered
No Sessions
number of Images batched

What about the small jpg extractor and lens correction tools. Someone that works for Phase told me that this should be included in C1 4 PRO

What about the FOCUS tool. Is that it?

LE doesn't feel like C1 at all...

Quote
It's been known for months, Capture One 4 is the newest release that replaces LE. The Pro version of CO4 will be out in the first quarter or so of next year.

The only differences in LE and Pro have been the CMYK output and number of images batched at a time. Otherwise the have been the same.

They will need a more aggressive toolset in CO4 Pro to justify the price for any new users. I have been using the Pro version for 3-4 years and will get Pro 4 for free which is the only reason I would use it. Capture One has had virtually the best image quality for Canon files especially high ISO, but LR is such a standard now with an extensive toolset, it's hard to think of going back to Capture One as much as I used to.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=162000\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Title: Capture One 4 released
Post by: eleanorbrown on December 21, 2007, 10:48:37 am
I have tried  to like C1 4 but I gravitate back to Lightroom for my RAW processing.  I'm on my third generation Phase One Back so am very pro Phase One but at this point I'm wondering why they don't put all their efforts toward their back and camera business and leave the RAW processing to Adobe.  Eleanor
Title: Capture One 4 released
Post by: redbutt on December 21, 2007, 11:00:10 am
Quote
I have tried  to like C1 4 but I gravitate back to Lightroom for my RAW processing.  I'm on my third generation Phase One Back so am very pro Phase One but at this point I'm wondering why they don't put all their efforts toward their back and camera business and leave the RAW processing to Adobe.  Eleanor
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=162297\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi folks...first post here (I'm awaiting my P20+ delivery).

I have to agree with this.  I've been using C1 Pro...well...forcing myself to use it because it's been the lesser of all evils for me.  I really like the output, but the usability of the program is really bad.  C4 seems like they are just trying to copy Lightroom, but they left out support for jpg images.  Overall, I think they should either devote serious resources to making their imaging software top notch in ALL areas or put those resources into hardware dev and partner with someone that is a leader in software (I would favor Adobe simply because they are ubiquitous and have software for Mac and PC).
Title: Capture One 4 released
Post by: Streetwise on December 21, 2007, 12:08:32 pm
I'm hearing a lot of comparisons to LightRoom. Sounds interesting...

Can you shoot tethered with it?
Title: Capture One 4 released
Post by: jop on December 21, 2007, 09:21:02 pm
How do wide angel, Phase One back owners use Lightroom and do lens cast corrections? In Capture One it's very easy and very good.

Jack
Title: Capture One 4 released
Post by: ericstaud on December 21, 2007, 09:29:55 pm
Quote
How do wide angel, Phase One back owners use Lightroom and do lens cast corrections? In Capture One it's very easy and very good.

Jack
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=162418\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Capture One is the only program that incorporates a feature to remove Lens Casts from Phase files.  The new C1 4 release includes a LCC tool and DNG output.  It is only just now possible to have a raw file from a Phase camera that can be processed in other software with the Lens Casts removed.  You first use the LCC tool, then output the DNG, and then that file can be opened in ACR or Lightroom and perhaps other programs as well... I haven't tested anything outside of Lightroom.
Title: Capture One 4 released
Post by: John_Black on December 21, 2007, 09:56:39 pm
Quote
Capture One is the only program that incorporates a feature to remove Lens Casts from Phase files.  The new C1 4 release includes a LCC tool and DNG output.  It is only just now possible to have a raw file from a Phase camera that can be processed in other software with the Lens Casts removed.  You first use the LCC tool, then output the DNG, and then that file can be opened in ACR or Lightroom and perhaps other programs as well... I haven't tested anything outside of Lightroom.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=162419\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Okay, I was about to slam C4, but applying the LCC and moving onto LR might just be the ticket.  I don't like C1 very much (Pro and LE versions), so being able to work in LR would be quite nice.  I need to look into this.  Thanks.
Title: Capture One 4 released
Post by: jop on December 21, 2007, 09:57:37 pm
Quote
Capture One is the only program that incorporates a feature to remove Lens Casts from Phase files.  The new C1 4 release includes a LCC tool and DNG output.  It is only just now possible to have a raw file from a Phase camera that can be processed in other software with the Lens Casts removed.  You first use the LCC tool, then output the DNG, and then that file can be opened in ACR or Lightroom and perhaps other programs as well... I haven't tested anything outside of Lightroom.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=162419\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks. I have not tried going from CO (after lcc) to LR through dng conversion. I'll give it a try and determine if it's worth it.

Jack
Title: Capture One 4 released
Post by: godtfred on December 22, 2007, 05:42:59 am
Quote
Capture One is the only program that incorporates a feature to remove Lens Casts from Phase files.  The new C1 4 release includes a LCC tool and DNG output.  It is only just now possible to have a raw file from a Phase camera that can be processed in other software with the Lens Casts removed.  You first use the LCC tool, then output the DNG, and then that file can be opened in ACR or Lightroom and perhaps other programs as well... I haven't tested anything outside of Lightroom.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=162419\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
This is GREAT news! I missed this feature on the DAC correction with flexcolor export to DNG as well, hope Phocus gets this bit on the table for all those HB shooters out there.

-axel
Title: Capture One 4 released
Post by: Don Libby on December 22, 2007, 04:18:40 pm
Can’t get an accurate read on this but does anyone know if this supports Win x64?

Thanks in advance


don
Title: Capture One 4 released
Post by: Snook on December 22, 2007, 06:58:25 pm
Quote
Can’t get an accurate read on this but does anyone know if this supports Win x64?

Thanks in advance
don
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=162550\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Do people with DB software get an upgrade?
I just bought a camera with 3.7.5 DB software and was wondering if I am going to be able and get an upgrade to C-1 Pro 4?
Thanks for any help
Snook
Title: Capture One 4 released
Post by: mcfoto on December 23, 2007, 02:22:20 am
Hi
I down loaded it & quickly looked over it. I checked out the profiles & they have DeCam 3   which is what I have RD & CS2 set at. Now for LR & camera raw in photoshop why do they only have 4 profiles Adobe 98, Profoto, sRGB & a forth one????? When is Phase One going to support the ZD?