Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Digital Image Processing => Topic started by: Hendrik on December 19, 2007, 03:38:39 pm
-
I need a book suggestion to broaden my knowledge about color management and color.
I have Real World Color Management by Bruce Fracer, Chris Murphy and Fred Bunting. A great book.
What is the next step for a photographer who want to dive into this matter even further. I was thinking of 'The Reproduction of Colour' by R.W.G. Hunt, but it’s never available on Amazon and maybe it’s a bit too deep into this matter?
Basically, what book is next after ‘Real World Color Management’.
Btw, a good link: http://www.outbackphoto.com/tforum/viewtop...hp?TopicID=1930 (http://www.outbackphoto.com/tforum/viewtopic.php?TopicID=1930)
-
I need a book suggestion to broaden my knowledge about color management and color.
I have Real World Color Management by Bruce Fracer, Chris Murphy and Fred Bunting. A great book.
What is the next step for a photographer who want to dive into this matter even further. I was thinking of 'The Reproduction of Colour' by R.W.G. Hunt, but it’s never available on Amazon and maybe it’s a bit too deep into this matter?
Basically, what book is next after ‘Real World Color Management’.
Btw, a good link: http://www.outbackphoto.com/tforum/viewtop...hp?TopicID=1930 (http://www.outbackphoto.com/tforum/viewtopic.php?TopicID=1930)
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a] (http://index.php?act=findpost&pid=161792\")
My I recommend a book by Andrew Rodney(aka The Digital Dog)
[a href=\"http://www.amazon.com/Color-Management-Photographers-Techniques-Photoshop/dp/0240806492/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1198101956&sr=8-1]http://www.amazon.com/Color-Management-Pho...98101956&sr=8-1[/url]
-
I need a book suggestion to broaden my knowledge about color management and color.
I have Real World Color Management by Bruce Fracer, Chris Murphy and Fred Bunting. A great book.
What is the next step for a photographer who want to dive into this matter even further. I was thinking of 'The Reproduction of Colour' by R.W.G. Hunt, but it’s never available on Amazon and maybe it’s a bit too deep into this matter?
Basically, what book is next after ‘Real World Color Management’.
Btw, a good link: http://www.outbackphoto.com/tforum/viewtop...hp?TopicID=1930 (http://www.outbackphoto.com/tforum/viewtopic.php?TopicID=1930)
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a] (http://index.php?act=findpost&pid=161792\")
I'll second the recommendation on Andrew's book, "Color Management for Photographers". Its very approachable and practical.
Andrew (Digital Dog) also frequents these forums and helps a lot of people. Is there anything in particular you're looking to learn.
For me the last black art of practical color management was softproofing and I think Jeff Schewe did an outstanding job of enlightening us in the video on this site, "From Camera to Print".
One last resource is the yahoo group on color management: [a href=\"http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/colortheory/]http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/colortheory/[/url]
-
Abhay Sharma's "Understanding Color Management" is good:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Understanding-Colo...a/dp/1401814476 (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Understanding-Color-Management-Abhay-Sharma/dp/1401814476)
-
Thank you for the suggestions.
I'm looking for a book that is more advanced than the one I already have. I'm not familiar with Andrew's book, but it looked like the same level as the one I already have, but maybe it's indeed much more advanced. (?)
I have to order these books blind, so therefore this thread.
-
Abhay Sharma's "Understanding Color Management" is good:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Understanding-Colo...a/dp/1401814476 (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Understanding-Color-Management-Abhay-Sharma/dp/1401814476)
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=161952\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I'll second this one… It's very different the on from Andrew Rodney (Digital Dog) and I find them both complementary.
-
"One last resource is the yahoo group on color management: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/colortheory/" (http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/colortheory/")
Not sure "color management" is exactly the main focus of this group. It is frequented by some top color management people (and shunned by others). It does help by airing the contrarian viewpoint on some color management issues. Many of it's posters are more interested (and knowledgeable about) traditional CMYK printing which IMHO is a nice change from the usual photographer centric discussions of color management.
For pure color management you can try the ColorSync group: http://lists.apple.com/mailman/listinfo/colorsync-users (http://lists.apple.com/mailman/listinfo/colorsync-users)
-
Hendrik-
If you’re looking for something more advanced than those already listed (I have them all and each has it’s merits), then I think you’re going to have to jump into color science texts. Definitely not light reading... Some that I’d recommend-
Color Appearance Models by Mark Fairchild, ISBN 0-470-01216-1
Digital Color Management Encoding Solutions by Edward Giorgianni & Thomas Madden, ISBN 0-201-63426-0
Color and its Reproduction, Gary Field, ISBN 0-88362-201-7 (this one is more print oriented)
You might also be interested in some of the references available at the Munsell Color Science Laboratory at RIT- http://mcsl.rit.edu/ (http://mcsl.rit.edu/)
-
Thank you all.
@Greg, Maybe you’re right and are color science texts more suitable. I will take a look into the titles you mention. I’m used to read scientific (medical) texts, I hope this helps a bit digesting the contents.
-
You might want to add this one to your list:
Photoshop LAB Color: The Canyon Conundrum and Other Adventures in the Most Powerful Colorspace by Dan Margulis
Mike
-
You might want to add this one to your list:
Photoshop LAB Color: The Canyon Conundrum and Other Adventures in the Most Powerful Colorspace by Dan Margulis
Mike
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=162354\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Yes, this is a nice book. Already have this one. Don't agree with everything, but that's another discussion (and thread).
Thanks.
btw, 'The Reproduction of Colour' by R.W.G. Hunt is never available, is this book replaced by another (and newer) title?
-
btw, 'The Reproduction of Colour' by R.W.G. Hunt is never available, is this book replaced by another (and newer) title?
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a] (http://index.php?act=findpost&pid=162372\")
I'm in the Netherlands too. I bought it from Amazon.de:
[a href=\"http://www.amazon.de/Reproduction-Colour-Imaging-Science-Technology/dp/0470024259/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books-intl-de&qid=1198274796&sr=1-1]http://www.amazon.de/Reproduction-Colour-I...98274796&sr=1-1[/url]
They currently have 1 in stock.
-
merry christmas all
as well as those mentioned above
this is a good colour management book
Giorgianni, E. J. and Madden, T. E. (1997) Digital colour management: Addison Wesley
Although ten years old now it still covers the underlying fundamentals of colour management
and
Green, P. J. (1999) Understanding digital color. (2nd edition) Sewickley, PA: GATF Press
Both very good books- aimed at intermediate to advanced level.