Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: TonyKarp on December 11, 2007, 10:25:45 am

Title: IPF5000 problem with 17 inch roll paper
Post by: TonyKarp on December 11, 2007, 10:25:45 am
I've had my IPF5000 for over a year and have put perhaps a dozen rolls of 17 inch roll paper through it with no problems.

Last week, I put in a roll of 17 inch Photo Rag that I'd used before and the printer would not recognize it as 17 inches wide. The status monitor displays "Custom Size" instead of "17-in Roll."

As a result, it won't print borderless on this roll. If you force it to print by pressing "online" several times, it prints with a 3mm border on the sides.

I tried cycling the AC on and off on the printer and removing the paper and putting it back in again, but nothing helps.

Other rolls of paper work just fine.

It's just this one roll of Photo Rag that seems to be the problem. I've printed on this roll of paper before and didn't have any problems.

I called tech support at Canon, but they didn't have any answers.
Title: IPF5000 problem with 17 inch roll paper
Post by: David White on December 11, 2007, 10:45:27 am
I'm making a wild guess here.  I can't remember is the width is contained in the information printed on the end of the roll when it is ejected, but if it is and you have that option set, perhaps cutting off the end of the roll and reinserting it may help.
Title: IPF5000 problem with 17 inch roll paper
Post by: TonyKarp on December 11, 2007, 01:34:06 pm
David,

I have the whole length-monitoring thing turned off.

What the printer can't identify is the width of this particular roll of paper. I checked the printer's extensive menus and there is no override for this.  
 

Quote
I'm making a wild guess here.  I can't remember is the width is contained in the information printed on the end of the roll when it is ejected, but if it is and you have that option set, perhaps cutting off the end of the roll and reinserting it may help.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=159868\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Title: IPF5000 problem with 17 inch roll paper
Post by: John Hollenberg on December 11, 2007, 02:06:17 pm
Very strange problem, one I haven't heard of before.  You may want to post your problem on the Canon iPF Printer Wiki in the Discussion Forum:

http://canonipf.wikispaces.com (http://canonipf.wikispaces.com)

--John
Title: IPF5000 problem with 17 inch roll paper
Post by: jerryrock on December 11, 2007, 06:52:25 pm
Are you using the borderless printing spacer on the end cap? I have never found it necessary to use mine when printing borderless, but perhaps it will make a difference on your problematic roll.
Title: IPF5000 problem with 17 inch roll paper
Post by: Pete Berry on December 11, 2007, 10:50:12 pm
Have you measured the roll to be sure it's actually 17"? I've found some width variation between brands and types, and your roll may fall outside the printer's acceptable limits for 17" borderless.

Pete
Title: IPF5000 problem with 17 inch roll paper
Post by: TonyKarp on December 12, 2007, 01:49:33 pm
Quote
Are you using the borderless printing spacer on the end cap? I have never found it necessary to use mine when printing borderless, but perhaps it will make a difference on your problematic roll.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=159960\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Turns out the roll is slightly less than 17 inches wide. I tried the spacer, but it didn't help.

See my response to the Pete Berry.
Title: IPF5000 problem with 17 inch roll paper
Post by: TonyKarp on December 12, 2007, 01:55:27 pm
Quote
Have you measured the roll to be sure it's actually 17"? I've found some width variation between brands and types, and your roll may fall outside the printer's acceptable limits for 17" borderless.

Pete
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=160015\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]


Looks like you are right. The width seems to be about 3/16" less than the other rolls. Not A2 width, more like A2+.

I tried adding the spacer and fiddling with the widths and creating a custom size in the Page Setup dialog tab. Nothing helped.

The strange thing is that I've printed on this roll before. It's been sitting on my table for a while, but I doubt that it shrunk.

The only thing I can think of is that the newer firmware (I'm at 1.31) is responsible for this problem.
Title: IPF5000 problem with 17 inch roll paper
Post by: John Hollenberg on December 12, 2007, 02:26:49 pm
Quote
The only thing I can think of is that the newer firmware (I'm at 1.31) is responsible for this problem.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=160152\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Call Canon support and see if they can shed any light on whether the new firmware could be a factor (and let us know if you get any info).

--John
Title: IPF5000 problem with 17 inch roll paper
Post by: Pete Berry on December 12, 2007, 05:19:13 pm
Quote from: TonyKarp,Dec 12 2007, 01:55 PM
"Looks like you are right. The width seems to be about 3/16" less than the other rolls. Not A2 width, more like A2+.

I tried adding the spacer and fiddling with the widths and creating a custom size in the Page Setup dialog tab. Nothing helped.

The strange thing is that I've printed on this roll before. It's been sitting on my table for a while, but I doubt that it shrunk."




So the guy cutting the HPR rolls gets to slip a 17 incher in his backpack for every 100 or so he cuts - great job, with hidden perks!

Strange things going on with rolls these days. Recently picked up two rolls of Innova PSC at my local dealer - labled as their 315 gsm I like so much - and the first print was lighter weight than the 252 gsm RR Prem. Matte Plus I use for proofing. Turns out it was Innova's 215 gsm version, and the boxes had been re-labled. Hmmm....Three weeks and the store still unable to get replacements.

Pete
Title: IPF5000 problem with 17 inch roll paper
Post by: sojournerphoto on December 12, 2007, 05:49:11 pm
Quote from: Pete Berry,Dec 12 2007, 11:19 PM
Quote from: TonyKarp,Dec 12 2007, 01:55 PM
"Looks like you are right. The width seems to be about 3/16" less than the other rolls. Not A2 width, more like A2+.

I tried adding the spacer and fiddling with the widths and creating a custom size in the Page Setup dialog tab. Nothing helped.

The strange thing is that I've printed on this roll before. It's been sitting on my table for a while, but I doubt that it shrunk."
So the guy cutting the HPR rolls gets to slip a 17 incher in his backpack for every 100 or so he cuts - great job, with hidden perks!

Strange things going on with rolls these days. Recently picked up two rolls of Innova PSC at my local dealer - labled as their 315 gsm I like so much - and the first print was lighter weight than the 252 gsm RR Prem. Matte Plus I use for proofing. Turns out it was Innova's 215 gsm version, and the boxes had been re-labled. Hmmm....Three weeks and the store still unable to get replacements.

Pete
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=160203\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]


 I've got an unopened box here - better check it quick!