Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Digital Image Processing => Topic started by: PSA DC-9-30 on December 08, 2007, 07:48:24 am
-
I've been experimenting with Noise Ninja a bit, but am still not up to speed on the best settings / workflow with this plug-in. As others have noted, the default settings are rather strong and often do result in considerable smearing of detail. There are three sliders under "filter", and I've turned these down to about half their default strength as a good starting point. Then I try playing around with Edit > Fade Noise Ninja and try to find the best tradeoff between sharpness and noise reduction. I need to start trying the spot noise reduction tool, but haven't gotten around to it yet. What is your workflow with NN? Any other suggestions?
Thanks,
Kevin
-
Don't use the plugin, but love the standalone program. I run a custom noise profile on every image I bring into NN. It only takes about a minute and is right for that image. I then look at various areas using the before/after tool while zoomed in to 100 percent. My most common deviation from the default settings, which are a bit strong, is to back off on the Luminance noise reduction - maybe minus 5 or so. I will often back off on the default sharpening settings too. It's a very effective program that is extremely easy to use.
-
I use it in my workflow when required, although with CS3/ACR4.1 the noise reduction facility has been greatly improved & I now use this where possible.
If using NN I tend to create a new layer just with the "noisy area" (normally the sky) & selectively remove the noise - saves destroying detail in vegetation/scenery etc
simon
-
I've been experimenting with Noise Ninja a bit, but am still not up to speed on the best settings / workflow with this plug-in. As others have noted, the default settings are rather strong and often do result in considerable smearing of detail. There are three sliders under "filter", and I've turned these down to about half their default strength as a good starting point. Then I try playing around with Edit > Fade Noise Ninja and try to find the best tradeoff between sharpness and noise reduction. I need to start trying the spot noise reduction tool, but haven't gotten around to it yet. What is your workflow with NN? Any other suggestions?
Thanks,
Kevin
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=159215\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Kevin, I would consider trying Neat Image. Neat I mage has a plug-in for photoshop and IMO works great. You can download profiles for all the iso settings for your camera. You then simply click on the filter in photoshop, click autoprofile and when done click apply filter. I find the noise removal and detail preservation are both good at the default settings.
-
Don't use the plugin, but love the standalone program. [a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=159590\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
is there a difference between standalone and plug in ? I'm using CS2 plug in but not often because i have not been happy with results. But now on reflection, i was much happier using standalone in the days of CS.