Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: Dave Carter on December 02, 2007, 07:38:16 pm

Title: Help with Paper Choice?
Post by: Dave Carter on December 02, 2007, 07:38:16 pm
Please advise possible paper choices for lampshade inkjet prints.  I have a project where I need to make some custom lampshades. I plan to use pigment inks.  Want a smooth matte finish.  Paper should be thin and light weight as I plan on bonding the paper to the outside of a formed plastic backing.  Must also be translucent for good light transfer. And, of course, good color life.

 One paper I am thinking about is Epson single weight matte.  But would like better transparency.  Also, I have not found data yet on how it will last.

Also, I think several HP papers may be of interest.

Would like it to be available in rolls.

Any experience out there?

Thanks, Dave
Title: Help with Paper Choice?
Post by: DougMorgan on December 02, 2007, 08:09:49 pm
How would silk do for something like this?  

The colors will be rather muted but I think that will happen regardless.  Much more durable than paper and probably more fire resistant.   There is also a tyvek like product around but I don't know about the opacity.

I've seen prints on both but have never printed on either myself.

Doug
Title: Help with Paper Choice?
Post by: Dave Carter on December 02, 2007, 10:03:26 pm
Thanks Doug.
Yes, I am thinking about silk and Pabic fabric also.

But, I also wanted to make some paper on plastic samples as well.  I am just not sure what paper to test.
Title: Help with Paper Choice?
Post by: Peter McLennan on December 02, 2007, 10:17:53 pm
Tyvek sounds like a good idea.  It'd run through the printer easier than silk, I'd bet.
Very cool idea.  Will you keep us posted of your experiments?
Title: Help with Paper Choice?
Post by: DougMorgan on December 03, 2007, 12:24:47 am
A little more info to pass along---

What I thought was tyvek was actually polypropylene from breathingcolor:

http://www.breathingcolor.com/bc/catalog/index.php?cPath=505 (http://www.breathingcolor.com/bc/catalog/index.php?cPath=505)

I'd check with them on the opacity.  A friend had some and I examined it quite a while ago.  I don't recall how transparent it was.

Breathing color also sells (or sold) silk which I think would be ideal, depending on the artwork.  It would need to be stretched or mounted to a clear medium.   Very soft delicate colors with silk.   I can't find it on their website though so I don't know if they still carry it.  

My friend also recommended ColorPlusFabrics.com  but I personally have never dealt with them.

Good luck and keep us posted as it sounds like an interesting project....
Doug
Title: Help with Paper Choice?
Post by: Ken Doo on December 03, 2007, 01:46:38 am
I'm not sure if this material would work for you----but it is rather interesting.  I picked up a roll and a few of my clients like its applications.

Photo-Tex-----Removeable Adhesive Fabric.  Water resistant; can illuminate with backlighting, works well with K3, dye and ecosolvent.

I picked up a 24" roll from www.itsupplies.com
Title: Help with Paper Choice?
Post by: Dave Carter on December 03, 2007, 09:20:04 am
Thanks for the leads.  I will chase them down.
I am concerned that several of them may be gloss finish, but I will check out.
Thanks again.
Title: Help with Paper Choice?
Post by: kwbpics on December 05, 2007, 03:18:32 pm
Hi. Try fabrics at dharmatrading.com they have it all. Treated and ready to print.Wholesale. Shhhhhh!! Large and small as well as sample packs. More than you could try in a year. ---Kwb
Title: Help with Paper Choice?
Post by: kwbpics on December 05, 2007, 03:20:58 pm
Also have some that is called sateen. From Digital Art Supplies.com, in San Diego.---kwb
Title: Help with Paper Choice?
Post by: Dave Carter on December 05, 2007, 04:54:19 pm
I now have samples coming from several vendors including Pabic and Digital Art Supplies.
However, some promising papers do not appear to be available in sample quantities or in small sheet sizes.  I will keep looking.
The choice of papers and fabrics is very large.  I soon hope to whittle it down for this project.
Thanks again.
Dave