Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Digital Image Processing => Topic started by: Craig Murphy on November 28, 2007, 09:44:56 am
-
Since setting up my new NEC 2690 monitor Adobe Bridge will not stay open. Keeps shutting down after I start selecting an image to preview. Just going through and highlighting from on image to another will do it. I am on Windows xp. Anyone ever had this happen or have a clue as to why a new monitor would affect PS?
-
Since setting up my new NEC 2690 monitor Adobe Bridge will not stay open. Keeps shutting down after I start selecting an image to preview. Just going through and highlighting from on image to another will do it. I am on Windows xp. Anyone ever had this happen or have a clue as to why a new monitor would affect PS?
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a] (http://index.php?act=findpost&pid=156652\")
I have had generally poor stability with Bridge, Two to four crashes a week. Did you happen to upgrade to the newest version of Bridge from a few days ago? That seems to have improved things for me a slight bit.
[a href=\"http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=3620]http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=3620[/url]
Have you tried turning off or on Software rendering of previews. This feature has caused some issues for others. I know that when I switched from my ATI AGP card to an Nvidia PCIe card, my performance improved significantly.
I like bridge well enough....if only it did what it was supposed to and didn't crash.
-
Well I just turned on Software Rendering of Previews and it seems to have stabilized. I thought that this was better to have off but maybe not. The only other thing that I recently did was to use the Compact Cache button in the preferences window. Maybe that somehow screwed thing up.
-
Also try clearing the whole cache and starting from scratch. When I was having my most difficult problems, that solved the issue.
-
I too like bridge, but have had stability issues since switching to CS3. It still crashes for me at least once a day, after a wide range of actions just prior to the crash. I also don't like the fact that it no longer remembers the most recent window status when opening a new window and still doesn't hold onto the view preset changes I make like v2 did.
-Ron H.
-
Up until the most recent update mine crashed every time I went to preferences. With other regular crashes I can't quite find the pattern. BUT it is still allot better than CS2 or the CS3 beta.
I don't really need Lightroom, but the problems with bridge make me want to invest in it. Is that why the fixes are so slow in coming? trying to drive us to LR.
-
Also try clearing the whole cache and starting from scratch. [a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=156670\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
And wait a week for Bridge to do re-cache! Non-centralised cache like the previous version of Bridge is a far more elegant solution. Esp as clearing cache is so often suggested as a solution to Bridge problems. Bridge 1 didn't crash like v2 either.
-
I take it back, when I try to go to preferences now it crashes every time. Not Camera Raw preferences just Bridge preferences. Anyone else see this? I never saw it on previous versions.
-
My cs2 Bridge is crashing more and more, 7 or so times yesterday.
Anyone have a clue as to what Adobe is doing to remedy this seemingly bug ridden software, if anything? I like what it's supposed to do, but it's froggy.
Has anyone gotten the cs2 version of Bridge to work without problems? Im on a Mac G5 2.0 dual.
-
Here are some troubleshooting tips for Adobe Bridge running on Windows:
http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowledgebase...x.cfm?id=317912 (http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=317912)
-
I wonder if it's a "Mac" thing? Never had any problems with cs2 bridge on my pcs.
-
I wonder if it's a "Mac" thing? Never had any problems with cs2 bridge on my pcs.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=156739\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
No, crashes with infuriating regularity on both my PC's. Crashes almost every time I use it, often 4 or 5 times in a 3 hour session. Without doubt the buggiest piece of software I have ever used. Nothing I have tried makes any difference.
-
No, crashes with infuriating regularity on both my PC's. Crashes almost every time I use it, often 4 or 5 times in a 3 hour session. Without doubt the buggiest piece of software I have ever used. Nothing I have tried makes any difference.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=156899\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
NO! I have no problems on my Mac laptop. All the problems are with CS3 on my PC.
-
A few possibles:
CS3 is VERY memory intensive & needs at least 2GB
Could be software conflict
The new update seems to have resolved several known "issues", worth updating
Re-installing CS3 often resolves problems
Just a few thoughts
simon
-
Here are some troubleshooting tips for Adobe Bridge running on Windows:
id=317912]http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowledgebase...x.cfm?id=317912[/url]
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=156738\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
And, the single most IMPORTANT THING TO DO AFTER A CRASH IS RESET THE PREFS...and yes, I'm shouting. Nobody has stated explicitly that they have reset the prefs. Any time an app crashes, the odds are real good the prefs are hosed. Restarting without trashing the prefs is NOT a clean restart, but dirtied by the potentially hosed prefs.
From the troubleshooting guide:
Hold down Control+Alt+Shift immediately after you start Adobe Bridge to reset the preferences, purge the central cache and reset the default workspace. Damaged preferences or workspaces can cause unexpected behavior in Adobe Bridge.
Same deal for Mac, but it's command/option/shift to reset.
-
So Jeff,
Why is Bridge so mind-numbingly buggy?
And, does Adobe consider this software to be a kind of lame duck as far trying to patch and fix it?
I like what it does, when it does it, but it sure is frustrating.
-
Bridge for me has actually not been very unstable up until I hooked up to my new monitor. The NEC 2690. Could be just coincidence. I did reset the preferences etc. like Jeff suggested and it crashed again right away. The only thing that seems to stabilize it is turning on Use Software Rendering. I have High Quality Previews checked also. Everything is moving slower than before. Clicking from one thumbnail to the next etc. Takes a while before a preview actually snaps into focus. This has also been the case previously but not quite as slow. Not sure what is causing all of this. Maybe has to do with my hardware and this new monitor not liking each other? Video card?
-
So many complaints about Bridge crashing frequently ... strange!
I used to have a lot of troubles with Bridge 1.0.4, 2.0, and 2.1. Frequent crashes, or no response to key presses, or painfully slow speed.
But since I switched to Bridge 2.1.1, it now is running surprisingly smooth. And pretty fast, too! Building the cache for a folder containg, say, 800 image files now takes one or two minutes rather than 20. So it's the best Bridge version I ever used and the first that I am fairly happy with. However, I acquired the habit of waiting for the little radar icons to stop spinning after each action ... this seems to help keeping Bridge healthy.
I also updated Photoshop CS3 to version 10.0.1 and all the other CS3 applets to their latest versions, too. I am on a four-year-old desktop PC with an Athlon 2400+ CPU and 1 GB of RAM running Windows XP SP2. By the way, I disabled all copies of AdobeUpdater.dll on my harddisk (there are a few of them)---maybe that's the reason (or part of it) why Bridge is running pretty stable on my machine ...
-- Olaf
-
My recent system rebuild (reinstalled windows xpsp2) has resulted in greater stability for me in CS3 Bridge. I wonder if I didn't get every vestige of CS3 Beta off the machine before upgrading. Perhaps also, my Bridge CS2 prefs were impacting it. The other thing I did that might have helped was to move from ATI AGP video card to NVidia PCIE video card.
-
Should CS2 be uninstalled after installing CS3? If so whats the best way to do that?(Windows) Are there issues with keeping it? My issues right now started after installing a new monitor. I am beginning to think that it may be a video card problem. What kind of specs should a video card have for running PS? Maybe my question really is directed towards this NEC 2690 and not Photoshop?
-
CS2 and CS3 should be able to coexist. CS3 Beta and CS3 were supposed to be problems.
-
The latest trick that my Bridge CS2 has learned:
When I open a hard drive I get a bunch of blank white rectangles in the thumbnail window. The program does not proceed after this. It started on one drive and now it's doing it everywhere.
This software is really maddening. Again, I'm wondering if Adobe has left this software to bleed as it is. It would be nice If they would fix these bugs for those who are content with CS2.
The Adobe Bridge forums have a ton of posts that mention all this stuff so you know that Adobe is aware of the multitude of issues with the program.
For sure, the buggiest software I've ever used, by far. you would think that a company like Adobe would balk at releasing such an infested tool.
-
It started on one drive and now it's doing it everywhere.
This sounds like the kind of problem that will go away after resetting the preferences. Have you tried it?
-- Olaf
-
After reseting the preferences in Bridge it runs much worse. No matter what I set in preferences, I cannot get a high quality preview and the image rotation tools are grayed out.
I was better off having it crash regularly.
Actually Jeff was right about something that I discredited. It was a damaged saved workspace. Interesting.