Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Adobe Lightroom Q&A => Topic started by: gehle on November 26, 2007, 09:53:29 am

Title: Lightroom OR Portfolio/iView
Post by: gehle on November 26, 2007, 09:53:29 am
Searching the archive of posts I see some discussion of using LR as a DAM but the posts are from when LR was still a beta. What is the concensous on LR as a DAM? Are there any areas where it falls short compared to iView or Portfolio?

Ken Gehle
Title: Lightroom OR Portfolio/iView
Post by: madmanchan on November 26, 2007, 11:01:25 am
I used iView for a while (before LR came out) but I use LR now for all of my DAM needs. I am not as dedicated as some are regarding DAM, but I keyword and label everything. I really like having everything in one place in LR.
Title: Lightroom OR Portfolio/iView
Post by: gehle on November 26, 2007, 11:39:57 am
Eric,

Is there anything that you miss by using LR? I have Portfolio but feel like you that LR may be a better overall solution.

Ken Gehle
Title: Lightroom OR Portfolio/iView
Post by: CatOne on November 26, 2007, 12:12:52 pm
Quote
Eric,

Is there anything that you miss by using LR? I have Portfolio but feel like you that LR may be a better overall solution.

Ken Gehle
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=156109\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Portfolio is multi-user.  If you need a multi-user DAM then that's hugely important.  LR is a single-user solution; you cannot have multi-user access to the same catalogue.

I see no advantage to Microsoft Expression Media (LOL) over LR, at all.  It is also a single-user cataloging app, that can't do any real editing.