Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: One Horse Studio on November 11, 2007, 12:07:00 am
-
Has anybody got any experience cutting longer rolls of paper(36" and longer).
I need to print some b&w panoramas on William Turner. Only problem is that it is
not available in 17" rolls.
I am thinking about getting a 36" roll and cutting it to size. Would like to know the
best way. I have a radial arm saw and could put a fine tooth thin blade on it.
Any and all help would be appreciated.
Greg......
-
Has anybody got any experience cutting longer rolls of paper(36" and longer).
I need to print some b&w panoramas on William Turner. Only problem is that it is
not available in 17" rolls.
I am thinking about getting a 36" roll and cutting it to size. Would like to know the
best way. I have a radial arm saw and could put a fine tooth thin blade on it.
Any and all help would be appreciated.
Greg......
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=151859\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
For my Epson 4000 I used to cut a 44" Premium Lustre Roll down into 2 16 1/2 inch rolls and one 10 1/2. I did it by hand using a mitre saw. A rather brutal but effective approach. After cutting I would then sand the ends to remove any rough edges. As I didn't want borderless prinitng this proved best for me.
Neal
-
I do it all the time and in fact just cut down a roll of smooth pearl this morning to give me a bunch of nominal 8" stock.
I too use a 12" chop saw with a fine blade and then sand with a 9 inch disk/belt sanding machine using the disk sander with a fine grit.
Just tape the roll securely with packing tape at several points and run one piece of tape the long way to seal the edge. Depending on the size of the saw and roll of paper you might have to turn the roll as you are cutting. I clamp a strip of wood to both the saw and sander tables to make it easy to spin the roll exactly perpendicular to blade or sanding disk. Cut the piece a 1/32 of an inch or so oversize and then sand smooth.
Make sure you blow all dust off the roll and discard a turn or two on the roll. You don't want any of the dust getting in your printer.
I have done this with many types of paper including enhanced matte, smooth pearl, premium luster, semimatte, and a water colour paper from inkjetart with excellent results. I did one roll of canvas and had trouble with fraying on the edge -- I would not recommend cutting down canvas.
Good luck.........
Doug
-
Thanks for the input.......I will proceed with trepidation
I will order a roll tomorrow.
Greg...
-
A further suggestion might be to make a practice cut or two on a roll of something cheaper. Make sure you wrap the packing tape really tight around the ends as well as at the cut area to limit dust infiltration.
Doug
-
Make sure you wrap the packing tape really tight around the ends as well as at the cut area to limit dust infiltration.
Doug
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=151939\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
That would be my biggest concern about running a roll cut on a conventional saw: dust. For those of you who have tried it, are you seeing any signs of cutting dust as you unroll the media?
-Ron H.
-
That would be my biggest concern about running a roll cut on a conventional saw: dust. For those of you who have tried it, are you seeing any signs of cutting dust as you unroll the media?
-Ron H.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=151948\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Once the job was done I had no issues with dust. As long as you keep the roll tightly sealed when cutting you should be ok.
Neal
-
That would be my biggest concern about running a roll cut on a conventional saw: dust. For those of you who have tried it, are you seeing any signs of cutting dust as you unroll the media?
-Ron H.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=151948\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
After dozens of cut-down rolls over the last year and a half or so I have had no trouble of any kind with all paper stock. Canvas frays, as I said above.
Doug