Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: Geoff Wittig on November 10, 2007, 05:56:51 pm
-
My 24" Z3100 won't recognize roll paper I'm trying to load. The little spring-loaded paper sensor is there, and with some fiddling the printer will pull the paper in. The print head does its dance and I can see the red sensor light; but the printer can't "see" the paper. It tells me to load the roll, advances the paper a few inches...and repeats the whole thing. Yesterday I was getting a few "out of paper" notices halfway through A3 sheets I was printing.
I presume the sensor that detects reflected light from the paper is dirty. But how the heck to I get at it to clean it? I can't find any simple instructions on line.
Help would be welcome.
-
Well, this sounds familiar, see the folowing post:
Z3100 Paper Loading Problem (http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=20725)
What version of the firmware are you using?
-
My 24" Z3100 won't recognize roll paper I'm trying to load. The little spring-loaded paper sensor is there, and with some fiddling the printer will pull the paper in. The print head does its dance and I can see the red sensor light; but the printer can't "see" the paper. It tells me to load the roll, advances the paper a few inches...and repeats the whole thing. Yesterday I was getting a few "out of paper" notices halfway through A3 sheets I was printing.
I presume the sensor that detects reflected light from the paper is dirty. But how the heck to I get at it to clean it? I can't find any simple instructions on line.
Help would be welcome.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=151827\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
There are two distinct media sensors. The first and most problematic is a mechanical switch in the paper path similar to a rocker switch. Look for it with a flashlight to see it is indeed going to have to be depressed upon paper load. If you don't see it, it is depressed and blocked in an already loaded paper position. If it is in a ready to receive media position, and does move freely, then the electrical part is broken or disconnected. Look under the printer for a black and red 2 pole wire Molex connection. Sometimes it helps to unplug/replug this connection.
If it is the media alignment and size optical sensor, it will load the paper but reject it's alignment, disallow printing. You can clean it with compressed air. If it has become ajar, or out of alignment mechanically, you'd be best to have an HP technician come repair it.
-
Well, this sounds familiar, see the folowing post:
Z3100 Paper Loading Problem (http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=20725)
What version of the firmware are you using?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=151841\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I'm still using firmware v 5.0.0.4.; I had considered upgrading to the newer firmware and driver this weekend, but never got around to it because the printer went belly up.
-
There are two distinct media sensors. The first and most problematic is a mechanical switch in the paper path similar to a rocker switch. Look for it with a flashlight to see it is indeed going to have to be depressed upon paper load. If you don't see it, it is depressed and blocked in an already loaded paper position. If it is in a ready to receive media position, and does move freely, then the electrical part is broken or disconnected. Look under the printer for a black and red 2 pole wire Molex connection. Sometimes it helps to unplug/replug this connection.
If it is the media alignment and size optical sensor, it will load the paper but reject it's alignment, disallow printing. You can clean it with compressed air. If it has become ajar, or out of alignment mechanically, you'd be best to have an HP technician come repair it.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=151883\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
The mechanical paper sensor appears to be working; it's visible in the paper path, and the printer will (occasionally) pull the paper in, but then appears not to recognize the paper. With roll paper it just keeps advancing another few inches at a time, while telling me to load paper. The optical sensor mounted on the print head does zip back and forth with its red light on, but apparently the lens that "reads" the light is fouled because it can't "see" the paper. The little connector underneath the printer seems tightly plugged, but I'll try pulling it apart and reconnecting, then blowing some compressed air at the head. Then it's time to call HP I guess. Sigh.
Thanks for the help.