Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Digital Cameras & Shooting Techniques => Topic started by: ntphoto on November 08, 2007, 04:34:40 am
-
Hi everyone...I couldn't find any references to anyone who has maybe tried this....wondering if anyone out there has ever tried putting a EF-s mount lens on a 1dMkII/III. Supposedly, it will interfere with the mirror, but has anyone ever really tried? A little vignetting wouldn't be so bad, to have a 13mm (with 10-22 EF-s)... :)Also, could the interference with the mirror be solved with mirror lockup and LiveView?
-
Have heard some good things about people using the efs 60mm macro with an extension tube on the 5d.
As far as I remember when shooting in liveview the mirror drops and then raises again when you shoot.
An alternative is the sigma 10-20 or 12-24 which work on full frames athough the 10-20 will vignette.
-
You'd have to hack the lens, as the mount protrudes further into the body than the standard EF to prevent people like you from damaging 1-series bodies by mounting lenses that won't clear the mirror. In addition to vignetting, the EF-S lenses aren't corrected for aberrations outside the designed image circle, so it's doubtful you'd be happy with the results even if you chopped up mount on the lens and managed to keep the mirror from hitting the rear element. You can use an extension tube to solve the mirror clearance problem, but then you lose infinity focus. IMO it's not worth bothering with.
-
The 60EFS + 12mm extension tube (MkII version) works extremely well on a FF camera giving focuse from about 40cm to slightly greater than lifesize - a 'true' macro. It isn't very good with the 25mm extension tube - which I put down to it being an IF design (I may be wrong but it seem logical on a lens originally designed for a smaller format. I've used this combination a lot (mostly underwater) and it gives extremely good results. True you lose infinity focus but its a MACRO lens! The same may be true of other EFS lenses - they should mount ok using the extension tube, but I'm unsure how many would prove to be useful given focus restrictions and so on. I thoroughly recommend the 60+12mm on FF as a genuine macro though.