Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Adobe Lightroom Q&A => Topic started by: cgrey2 on November 05, 2007, 05:53:58 pm
-
I'd like to set up identical catalogs -- one on a laptop for when I'm traveling and one on a desktop. I'll be working with the exact same files in both databases, and I'd like to know if there is an easy way within Lightroom to synchronize changes to the metadata and negative files between the two.
For example, I might like to edit or update the keywording using the laptop and have those changes reflected and applied to the very same files on the desktop. Is there a way to update any changes I make from one catalog to the other?
Thanks in advance.
-
I'd like to set up identical catalogs -- one on a laptop for when I'm traveling and one on a desktop. I'll be working with the exact same files in both databases, and I'd like to know if there is an easy way within Lightroom to synchronize changes to the metadata and negative files between the two.
For example, I might like to edit or update the keywording using the laptop and have those changes reflected and applied to the very same files on the desktop. Is there a way to update any changes I make from one catalog to the other?
Thanks in advance.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=150775\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
You can do the old export/import routine, it works quite well.
Otherwise, you can use a utility to sync two folders like ChronoSync or some similar utility that syncs everything up.
-
Thanks, Andrew.
"You can do the old export/import routine, it works quite well."
To do this, do I need to be sure that "automatically write changes into XMP" is checked "on" in the catalog settings preferences?
Also, when I delete a file from one database, and then import that database into the second, I've noticed that the "deleted" file is still present in the second database, although it is removed from the first. Are there some actions that are not updatable using import/export?
Thanks again.
-
To do this, do I need to be sure that "automatically write changes into XMP" is checked "on" in the catalog settings preferences?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=150800\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I don't believe so. I'm using just DNG's so all the edits and such are either in there or in the database. I have that setting off since its a hit in performance and have used the export/import routines with excellent results. I suppose a select all, Command/Control S wouldn’t' be a bad idea but I'm not certain is mandatory.
-
Just checked. Yes, when you invoke an Export Catalog, all updating necessary is conducted prior to building the new, exported catalog. So you don't have to do any updates or have XMP write on prior to doing this. So export then import truly does produce a cloned catalog so to speak.
-
You can do the old export/import routine, it works quite well.
Otherwise, you can use a utility to sync two folders like ChronoSync or some similar utility that syncs everything up.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=150778\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
FWIW, I do it like this, using Synchronize Pro X. It works well, but I do have to be careful that I don't edit on both machines between syncs. Not copying the .lrdata package saves an awful lot of time as well, to no apparent detriment.
Jeremy
-
I have my catalogue on a small usb powered hard drive with my current year's photos. It saves having to synchronise, which for me would have the potential for disaster. When I travel I back up to my laptop, and the hard drive stays with my passport or wallet.