Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: Rob C on October 31, 2007, 03:57:37 pm
-
I´ve noticed that there are hardly any posts here regarding the B9180. Is this because A3+ is simply too small a maximum format for these august pages; am I its only user, or are all other owners so delighted with it that they are speachless with wonder?
Rob C
-
I´ve noticed that there are hardly any posts here regarding the B9180. Is this because A3+ is simply too small a maximum format for these august pages; am I its only user, or are all other owners so delighted with it that they are speachless with wonder?
I can't tell you why there are so few posts, but I don't think it's your last guess. While researching what A3 size pigment printer to buy, I found too many posts from people who had serious reliability and performance problems with this printer. A number of users were on their 3 or 4th replacement printer, and still having problems.
-
I use it. I love it. It just works.
-
Hi, I am using a B9180.
I did have some issues with my printer (July 06) and I sent back. I live in rural Canada and this worked OK. I did have fairly significant issues with the telephone support!!!!
The printer works better now and produces fine looking prints, although as this is my first "proper" printer I do not have a reference. However clients are happy with pictures and I have sold a few prints in the $300 range (framed)
My images are generally tripod mounted D2x pictures and I produce print files at 600dpi at the output size, sharpened with Photokit plugin.
I generally use the HP papers, the smooth fine art being a popular choice for both colour and BW, I use the soft sheen too. The gloss produces rich images, but I can notice bronzing on them, although the majority of non photographer folks that I have given test prints too don't notice any problems.
My biggest problem is supplies, I've resorted recently to getting them from the states.
I'd love to use some differnt papers but am unable to produce profiles - Glossy BW and really super glossy colour like Ilfochrom (cibachrome.)
Happy Printing
-
Hi Steven,
Although I'm a Canadian living on the west coast (Sechelt, BC), I bought my B9180 last March in southern California where my wife and I try to spend two to three months in our motorhome each winter.
It works just fine, not withstanding the problems reported on the Yahoo site, as mentioned by meyerweb.
The problem reporters are, IMHO, a relatively small number of folk, posting many times as they try to arrive at a solution to their problems. So we might draw the conclusion that there are lots of problem machines out there. If we knew how many machimes had been sold, that might give us a different perspective on the failure rate of these machines.
All this reminds me of the headline that read "Ten percent of men in the lumber camp screwing 100% of the women in the camp." Turns out that there were ten men and one woman in the camp, and the one man and the one woman were married. Well, it's a story to make my point.
I'm happy with my machine and the people dropping cash to buy my prints love the product.
Ciao,
Doug
-
I use it. I love it. It just works.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=149919\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Same here.
-
I´ve noticed that there are hardly any posts here regarding the B9180. Is this because A3+ is simply too small a maximum format for these august pages; am I its only user, or are all other owners so delighted with it that they are speachless with wonder?
Rob C
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a] (http://index.php?act=findpost&pid=149853\")
For what it's worth I have put up my learning with the 9180 [a href=\"http://www.ronnynilsen.com/Equipment/Printer/]here[/url].
It's collection of my own findings and things I have picked up on the net.
-
For what it's worth I have put up my learning with the 9180 here (http://www.ronnynilsen.com/Equipment/Printer/).
It's collection of my own findings and things I have picked up on the net.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=149993\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Delighted to hear from you all - I really did start to think that I had an odd take on things, getting that machine!
I´m very happy with it for b/w but do not really get the colours I want from it. My only comparison is with two much cheaper Epsons that I had/have. The first one C82, did quite nicely in colour - not that good in b/w, and that with office chemicals: DuraBrite inks. When it died I replaced it with an even cheaper C66 and its colour is also rather pleasing.
The place that the cheaper units do better is with the warmer tones. I´m thinking here of a set of shots I did on the D200 of parts of a rusting old commercial fishing boat. On Epson, the rust looks good whilst trying to get the HP set to work is getting nowhere - it is printing in a very gingerish sort of way which doesn´t look good at all. Changing that - toning it down a shade, only serves to make the other colours go unpleasant.
Reading here about the larger Hps I gather that there is a problem with the reds - and I have to agree that that is my experience too. I did a series of very out-of-focus flower shots and where the blurred reds are alive on the monitor, they are like bad plums on the print. Yes, I´m well aware of the difference between transmitted and reflected images and I don´t feel it´s a matter of over-expectations.
I´m using Hahnemuehle Photo Rag Bright White on the HP and it was Epson Heavyweight Matt on the Epsons. I have to say, I tried downloading a profile from Hahne (or was it HP?) and that was even worse than the built-in profile for HP Smooth Fine Art that comes with the printer, and which I´m currently using.
It´s little fun gathering this huge pile of test A5s!
Rob C
-
The epson 3800 (And the canon ipf 5000, too. After all the price drops.) caused a lot of people to rethink buying a 13" wide printer. It wasn't a huge jump to 17" so I think a lot of people took that leap.
-
Same here.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=149992\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Count another happy customer who has never had an issue with the B9180. It sits right next to my Epson 4800. I like them both, but when I don't need larger than 13x19, the B9180 gets the call...
-
I use it. I love it. It just works.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=149919\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Yep, same here. I've only used it with 2 kinds of paper so far (HP Hahnemühle Smooth Fine Art and HP Advanced Photo Paper) and love the prints. So far most of them are B&W on the Hahnemühle.
That's the general issue with a lot of forums on the net, a lot of users go to there if they have problems. If all works well, it goes by without any fuss.
-
I suppose I'll post more here now on the 9180 as well.
I still have my first production model without any faults at all. Is it because I didn't use it much while doing testing on Z series printers? Perhaps, but all I know is , it is printing as day 1 and the quality of prints as good as I need to make pro prints that sell my photography.
PS I thought it funny to see someone post from Sechelt where i lived for a year or more!
For better profiles go to the Yahoo 9180 users groups.
-
I'm *very* happy with my B9180, no problems, very nicely laid out driver. I bought mine mainly based on 2 reccomendations:
Michael Reichmann's impressions of it in the From Camera to Print Tutorial
and David Saffir's personal impressions of it after a demo of the Hp Z3100
At discount of under $600, i think its a great value.
-
I have had mine for roughly one year, and I think for the money it's hard to beat. I'm trying to decide now on a larger format printer, not sure on what to get between a Z3100 or a 7880.
Pete
-
I'll resurrect this topic now that I'm printing regularly with my 9180. After de-mothballing mine, I had what seemed to be terminal "service stall" messages that drove me crazy. After literally pulling the machine apart, I discovered that the ink dumps had become clogged up and the carriage that they ride in was all gooey and sticky. Suffice to say that a good cleaning of everything, including all four printheads, and it is printing *flawlessly*.
I am using primarily Hahnemule and HP Advanced papers with what I consider truly outstanding results. Perhaps the best feature is the BW printing. On the satin-matt it's great, and on the glossy HP the blacks are about as good as I've ever seen. Count me as a very satisfied 9180 user.
-
Me too - I'm really happy with mine. Best printer I have owned so far. Excellent hassle free printing. If HP makes a 17 inch big brother to this, I'll buy that too in a heartbeat.
-
This thing drinks light gray.
-
I have generally been very pleased with the printer. However, i wish it had 2 things - Ability to print panoramas (from spool paper), and gloss enhancer like its big brothers...
But, every time i get a printout from the Harman FB Al - i am just amazed...again and again...like a gold fish with 45 sec memory.
-
I've been playing with the harman FB Mp. Very pleased. Haven't cracked the seal on the FB AL sample pack yet.
-
This thing drinks light gray.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=165004\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Mine does too but some of the other inks (Magenta, Cyan) last forever. I ordered mine from Amazon and the first two were both bad, which was a real pain given the set up, packing and unpacking but the 3rd time was the proverbial charm and I couldn't be happier with it. The fact that the price went down $100 and a free set of ink between the 1st and the 3rd didn't hurt either!
A slightly larger unit with roll feed would be an immediate purchase for me too!
Phil Weber
-
Mine is earning its keep and my clients are very happy with the images.
-
Using the B9180 for about a year with no problems and lots of happy friends and family members who get prints of themselves on 13x19. Standardized on HP Advanced paper but recently began to print on other types of paper - a real work in progress. Just ordered Ilford Galerie Gold Fibre Silk from B&H because of Michael's review. conrad
-
I'm pleased with results coming from mine; in particular - Hahnenmuhle's Photo Rag Pearl just "stops" me everytime.
-
Mine is earning its keep and my clients are very happy with the images.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=165061\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Ditto! I've had my b9180 for about a year, and I'd also like to see a 17" version, which I'd purchase at a moment's notice.
-
Yes, that light grey does seem to vanish pretty rapidly; perhaps that´s because most of my work is b/w. So perhaps the rest of us also on that road need not worry too much... it´s what we do rather than what the machine drinks.
Rob C
-
Indeed the light gray does go first. I'm not sure I'd say the machine drinks it but still, it does go faster. Second in usage would be the light magenta for me. I just did another handful of prints this morning and am impressed yet again.
-
I have five different printers at my gallery, models from Epson, Canon and HP, mostly used for teaching and producing large exhibition prints. But the printer that I have at home is an HP9180 which has been chugging along without problem since it first came out, producing very fine results.
Michael
-
I have five different printers at my gallery, models from Epson, Canon and HP, mostly used for teaching and producing large exhibition prints. But the printer that I have at home is an HP9180 which has been chugging along without problem since it first came out, producing very fine results.
Michael
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=165263\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Michael -
Do you do much black/white printing for yourself? I find myself so tickled with the quality I get from the HP that colour seems to be getting ever less attention.
I think I mentioned here, on LuLa, that I came across a plastic bag of A5 test prints the other day; it was so impressive, that I thought: wow, that´s a quarter of a box of A3+ Hahnemuehle! And just for tests!
The maths is as follows: from a single box of Hahnemuehle Photo Rag Bright White, I counted 63 test prints (A5), which is 63 divided by 4, equals 15.75 or, in reality 16 sheets out of a box of 50. I still have 3 sheets left. This means, at best, I have 31 good prints with possibly another two to come from that box of paper.
I wonder if anyone has worked out what a reasonable expectation for final prints might be, on a per box measurement?
Rob C
-
Purchased my B9180 in December 07. Had a problem with initial install - it would not recognize the magenta cartridge. HP sent me a new cartridge and I was able to get it working. 4 weeks later (and very few prints) it again refused to recognize the magenta cartridge. This time HP has decided to replace the printer. As I paid for the 3 YR Next Day Exchange Care Package - I should have been able to receive a next day replacement. One problem with that - they are back-logged on this printer causing a 14 day delay in the replacement process. I am eagerly awaiting my replacement - due to arrive on February 1. I guess I'll need to reserve judgement until then, but I'm a little peeved with HP Service at this time.
Rick
-
Yes, that light grey does seem to vanish pretty rapidly; perhaps that´s because most of my work is b/w. So perhaps the rest of us also on that road need not worry too much... it´s what we do rather than what the machine drinks.
Rob C
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=165243\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
It's just the color maps for the printer, the Z2100 and 3100 are similar.
Almost like GCR, it uses more lG than the composite colors when it can. All it means is you'll or I'll need to stock a lG over the others.
-
I'll resurrect this topic now that I'm printing regularly with my 9180. After de-mothballing mine, I had what seemed to be terminal "service stall" messages that drove me crazy. After literally pulling the machine apart, I discovered that the ink dumps had become clogged up and the carriage that they ride in was all gooey and sticky. Suffice to say that a good cleaning of everything, including all four printheads, and it is printing *flawlessly*.
I am using primarily Hahnemule and HP Advanced papers with what I consider truly outstanding results. Perhaps the best feature is the BW printing. On the satin-matt it's great, and on the glossy HP the blacks are about as good as I've ever seen. Count me as a very satisfied 9180 user.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=164919\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I too had been very happy with my B9180 (for a little over a year). Recently have had the same problem with a "service stall" error that I cannot get past. Gunnar1, can you tell me what you did to clean the ink dumps?
Thanks
-
Michael-
Since the 9180 is the printer you "use at home" despite having 5 other printers in your studio, it would be really wonderful and enlightening if (time permitting) you would occasionally comment on the results you get with different papers on the HP.
Have you tried your favorite new baryta (ilford gold silk) on this machine? How about EEF?
Keep up the good work. I've learned so much here!
-
I too had been very happy with my B9180 (for a little over a year). Recently have had the same problem with a "service stall" error that I cannot get past. Gunnar1, can you tell me what you did to clean the ink dumps?
Thanks
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=171864\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Sorry for not getting back to you sooner dnair, I didn't realize that you had posted the question.
What I had to do was first remove the cover on the right side under the main cover. It comes off with three screws. Then I had to remove the front cover on the right side as well as the full right side cover- another (I think) three screws. There is a cover sensor that will fall out when you remove the main side cover. Place a stick of some sort in the u of the sensor so that it fools the machine into seeing the main cover as closed.
Once you have all of these covers off, you can clearly see the ink dumps. There will be a mess of gooey half dried ink all over the place. I have a package of swab sticks, kind of like a giant Q-tip on a wood stick, that I used with distilled water to keep cleaning everything until it stopped making the carriage stick. I also pulled all four print heads and thoroughly cleaned them with the same method. The printhead health display was showing the heads to be in marginal health before I cleaned them and in excellent health after. The cotton swabs and distilled water are HP's recommendations for cleaning.
I actually left the cover off for some time as it allowed me to see inside the machine as it was putting the ink down onto the paper- it was just fascinating to watch. Even my kids would sit and watch the print come to life inside the machine!
I hope that this works for you, as it saved a no doubt frustrating (and expensive) experience with the factory from ever having to happen.