Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: samuel_js on October 30, 2007, 05:22:39 pm

Title: Capture One 4 beta 2
Post by: samuel_js on October 30, 2007, 05:22:39 pm
Here:
http://www.phaseone.com/4/ (http://www.phaseone.com/4/)
Title: Capture One 4 beta 2
Post by: pss on October 30, 2007, 05:29:36 pm
Quote
Here:
http://www.phaseone.com/4/ (http://www.phaseone.com/4/)
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=149652\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

tethered shooting? or is this still a "light" beta? any reasons to actually try it?
Title: Capture One 4 beta 2
Post by: samuel_js on October 30, 2007, 05:58:23 pm
Quote
tethered shooting? or is this still a "light" beta? any reasons to actually try it?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=149656\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I'm trying it right now.
1.- Cool features actually. You can zoom in individual pictures in thumbnail mode.
2.- Icons are bigger and much easier to see.
3.- Bug. The text in the folder browser freaks out and disappear.

See the screenshot:
(http://www.samuelaxelsson.com/images/LL/screen_01.jpg)

Just my first observations....
Title: Capture One 4 beta 2
Post by: jonstewart on October 30, 2007, 06:29:29 pm
Quote
3.- Bug. The text in the folder browser freaks out and disappear.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=149659\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Bet it works on a PC, eh Samuel!!!!  

(I use a MacPro running XP (Gave up on MacOSX not working after 4 months!))
Title: Capture One 4 beta 2
Post by: samuel_js on October 30, 2007, 07:45:19 pm
Quote
Bet it works on a PC, eh Samuel!!!!   

(I use a MacPro running XP (Gave up on MacOSX not working after 4 months!))
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=149664\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You see... this is the hand of Microsoft already  
Now seriously, I'm using 10.5 Leopard. That could be the problem.
Title: Capture One 4 beta 2
Post by: samuel_js on October 30, 2007, 07:53:41 pm
About the text freaking out....
I've just uploaded a little screen movie showing the problem.
I think you'' like it. Never seen anything like that before  


CAPTURE ONE 4 BETA 2 FREAKING OUT. (http://www.samuelaxelsson.com/images/LL/CaptureOne_Freakingout.mov)




/sam
Title: Capture One 4 beta 2
Post by: BlasR on October 30, 2007, 07:55:28 pm
The beta is a joke,,You can't open files the you open before with 3. 7  whatever or the beta 4..the first one

I'm getting sick of phase one..Any one like to buy a p45+ with hasselblad h1?

Let me know..

I'm so mad.

BlasR
Title: Capture One 4 beta 2
Post by: amsp on October 30, 2007, 08:08:30 pm
Quote
The beta is a joke,,You can't open files the you open before with 3. 7  whatever or the beta 4..the first one

I'm getting sick of phase one..Any one like to buy a p45+ with hasselblad h1?

Let me know..

I'm so mad.

BlasR
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=149683\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Chill, just use ACR or Lightroom. I haven't been using C1 for quite some time now.
Title: Capture One 4 beta 2
Post by: pss on October 30, 2007, 09:54:11 pm
Quote
Chill, just use ACR or Lightroom. I haven't been using C1 for quite some time now.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=149686\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
same here...just waiting for tetherd support directly in LR....now i am just shooting in C1/import into LR, i don't even have the C1 window open....wish i could just skip that step....

i agree the beta is a joke....too little too late
Title: Capture One 4 beta 2
Post by: mcfoto on October 31, 2007, 01:28:42 am
Quote
same here...just waiting for tetherd support directly in LR....now i am just shooting in C1/import into LR, i don't even have the C1 window open....wish i could just skip that step....

i agree the beta is a joke....too little too late
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=149703\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi
I too am waiting for tethered in LR for my ZD & Canon. If that happens will a lot of MFD shooters ( Leaf,Sinar,Phase,ZD & Hasselblad ) users switch over to LR since it would be a one stop shop? My feeling is since LR is backed by Adobe it should happen. I think the MAC group was very wise to give LR with every ZD back sold. I have been working with LR & love it. Tethered just makes sense in the future.
Title: Capture One 4 beta 2
Post by: jonstewart on October 31, 2007, 05:27:35 am
Quote
You see... this is the hand of Microsoft already  
Now seriously, I'm using 10.5 Leopard. That could be the problem.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=149678\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Maybe I need to change to Leopard, that's it!  
Title: Capture One 4 beta 2
Post by: jjj on October 31, 2007, 09:14:31 am
Quote
About the text freaking out....
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=149682\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I had issues like that with the LR beta, not quite so epileptic fit inducing admittedly, but equally annoying when the folder labels vanished.
Title: Capture One 4 beta 2
Post by: E_Edwards on October 31, 2007, 10:04:48 am
Quote
About the text freaking out....
I've just uploaded a little screen movie showing the problem.
I think you'' like it. Never seen anything like that before  
CAPTURE ONE 4 BETA 2 FREAKING OUT. (http://www.samuelaxelsson.com/images/LL/CaptureOne_Freakingout.mov)
/sam
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=149682\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]


Samuel,

Out of interest, what program have you used for the video screen grab? It's nice and clear.


Edward
Title: Capture One 4 beta 2
Post by: eronald on October 31, 2007, 10:38:32 am
Quote
Samuel,

Out of interest, what program have you used for the video screen grab? It's nice and clear.
Edward
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=149785\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

And I'd like to know how Samuel got th eoriginal screenshot to display directly -not as thumbnail- in the forum post ???

Edmund
Title: Capture One 4 beta 2
Post by: pss on October 31, 2007, 11:45:10 am
Quote
Hi
I too am waiting for tethered in LR for my ZD & Canon. If that happens will a lot of MFD shooters ( Leaf,Sinar,Phase,ZD & Hasselblad ) users switch over to LR since it would be a one stop shop? My feeling is since LR is backed by Adobe it should happen. I think the MAC group was very wise to give LR with every ZD back sold. I have been working with LR & love it. Tethered just makes sense in the future.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=149732\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

i think the move to include LR with the ZD is genious....why spend extra money on research if you can (maybe/probably) get a kickback from adobe AND make people happy at the same time....
Title: Capture One 4 beta 2
Post by: samuel_js on October 31, 2007, 12:35:15 pm
Quote
Samuel,

Out of interest, what program have you used for the video screen grab? It's nice and clear.
Edward
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a] (http://index.php?act=findpost&pid=149785\")

It's Snapz Pro. Great program.


Quote
And I'd like to know how Samuel got th eoriginal screenshot to display directly -not as thumbnail- in the forum post ???

Edmund
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=149792\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
You have to click on IMG  to post an externally linked image. If you upload the image to the Luminous server it will be displayed as a thumbnail.


I have another little screen grab video. This one shows how the beta 2 lost white balance and focus when zooming in and out in an image.
[a href=\"http://www.samuelaxelsson.com/images/LL/CaptureOne_DePhocus.mov]CAPTURE ONE FOCUS & WB PROBLEM[/url]

It doesn't happen with all images. But I can't find why...


I supose I'm not wrong saying PhaseOne is having big problems with this update. I'd like it to be great but it seems it won't happen any time soon. This beta is unusable.
Title: Capture One 4 beta 2
Post by: E_Edwards on October 31, 2007, 12:54:11 pm
Quote
It's Snapz Pro. Great program.


Thank you, Samuel. I use Snapz Pro myself, but only for stills at the moment. I've been evaluating two other video screen grabbers. One of them, called Screen Mimic, is quite good too, in that it can save directly to Flash, if you want it to.

Edward
Title: Capture One 4 beta 2
Post by: dankham on November 01, 2007, 08:58:12 pm
Adobe Capture Program,

I'm using a mamiya 645 with ZD back and had an initial tether issue with the Mamiya Software and contacted tech support at the Mac Group and after solving my problem told me they were not going to spend any more time on the Mamiya software since Adobe was working on a Capture program.

Dan
Title: Capture One 4 beta 2
Post by: vjbelle on November 02, 2007, 09:34:09 am
Quote
Chill, just use ACR or Lightroom. I haven't been using C1 for quite some time now.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=149686\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
However, if you are shooting wide angle then you MUST use C1 Pro to take care of the cast issues.  Other than that I use ACR exclusively.  

Victor
Title: Capture One 4 beta 2
Post by: samuel_js on November 05, 2007, 10:55:17 am
I've been testing the program pretty intensively the last days. My impressions has now changed a bit.
I understand PhaseOne is working most on Intel machines, because most of the problems I found on my G5 are gone on my Intel. I'm not saying the program is bug free, but it's much better on the Intel laptop. The program runs much faster... I hope this is fixed in the official release because a Dual G5 isn't a slow machine.

On the other hand I must say that the program we're seeing is the LE version. Sessions will be back with the Pro version, plus a lot of more functions that doesn't exist in the LE version.

And finally I'd like to point that I still have faith in CO. It has curves AND levels. The sharpening tool is way ahead of any other raw processor. The raw engine still gives better files and process them much faster.

There's much work be done but we shouldn't kill the program until we see the final version.
Title: Capture One 4 beta 2
Post by: david o on November 05, 2007, 01:03:23 pm
I had download but never tried until today.
I can see half of the curve window and I am not really familiar to it. So it took me a long time to figure out how to do what I am use to. LR is more intuitive to me...
To busy today to dig further.
Not impressed.
Title: Capture One 4 beta 2
Post by: Cedric on November 12, 2007, 04:18:06 pm
So far I have not had any problem with the beta.

I'm not sure I like the new interface.
PhaseOne is still underestimating the value and the need of decent documentation/help files.

I'm dearly missing the renaming feature (or did I miss it?)

On the positive side it's way way faster than 3.7.

I can understand why many will prefer LR and I think PhaseOne is still underestimating the damage it will suffer as a consequence of taking so much time for so little. Although I still think C1 produces better files and notably better colors than LR.

Ideally, they would license their RAW engine to Adobe for inclusion in LR.
Or they would buy an Adobe license for LR's library management technologies to integrate them into C1.

While they're at it they should license Nikon's high ISO denoising algorithms  so that we can truly use high ISO with digital backs
Title: Capture One 4 beta 2
Post by: Hagenbach on November 13, 2007, 06:37:10 am
Quote
. I hope this is fixed in the official release because a Dual G5 isn't a slow machine.

There's much work be done but we shouldn't kill the program until we see the final version.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=150691\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I complained some weeks ago in the PO forum that beta 2 on a G5 seems slower than even on a G4. PO said we should wait for the final version which should (!) be then tweaked for PPC machines. I hope this to come true, for the time being 3.7.7 is the way to go. Before I buy v.4 I would really like to test if these intentions ...

Cheers
Andreas