Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Adobe Lightroom Q&A => Topic started by: Jeremy Roussak on October 30, 2007, 04:53:50 am
-
Hi,
I'm having trouble with the aspect ratio when trying to crop a pic in LR using a defined aspect ratio. The crop seems always to take on the form (landscape or portrait) of the original.
So if I have a portrait-type photo (long side vertical), it makes no difference whether I use 5x7, say, or 7x5: the long side is always vertical; vice versa for a landscape pic. I don't have any square shots, so I don't know how they'd turn out!
How do I crop a portrait-type photo into landscape? What am I missing?
LR 1.2 on a Mac, in case it makes any difference.
Jeremy
-
Hi,
I'm having trouble with the aspect ratio when trying to crop a pic in LR using a defined aspect ratio. The crop seems always to take on the form (landscape or portrait) of the original.
So if I have a portrait-type photo (long side vertical), it makes no difference whether I use 5x7, say, or 7x5: the long side is always vertical; vice versa for a landscape pic. I don't have any square shots, so I don't know how they'd turn out!
How do I crop a portrait-type photo into landscape? What am I missing?
LR 1.2 on a Mac, in case it makes any difference.
Jeremy
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=149519\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I need to drag/force your cursor more toward the aspect ratio (portrait or landscape) you want. Try this: if your photo is landscape oriented. Click on the lower right corner handle (in crop mode, fixed aspect ratio) and drag horizontally to the left. At some point the crop will change from landscape to portrait.
Let me know if it helps.
-
Hi,
I'm having trouble with the aspect ratio when trying to crop a pic in LR using a defined aspect ratio. The crop seems always to take on the form (landscape or portrait) of the original.
So if I have a portrait-type photo (long side vertical), it makes no difference whether I use 5x7, say, or 7x5: the long side is always vertical; vice versa for a landscape pic. I don't have any square shots, so I don't know how they'd turn out!
How do I crop a portrait-type photo into landscape? What am I missing?
LR 1.2 on a Mac, in case it makes any difference.
Jeremy
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=149519\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Try clicking on (unlocking) the lock at the right of the cropping frame tool.
Bob.
-
Try clicking on (unlocking) the lock at the right of the cropping frame tool.
Bob.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=149530\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Unlocking the lock allows to change aspect ratio. Leaving the lock on keeps the aspect ratio fixed but allows to change from landscape to portrait or vice-versa (ex: 3:2 or 2:3).
-
I was very confused by this exact issue for quite a while. Francois is correct, you just have to move the crop edges until it 'snaps' into the opposite orientation. Once you get it to do it once, you'll be amazed that it had confounded you so -- at least I was!
-
I need to drag/force your cursor more toward the aspect ratio (portrait or landscape) you want. Try this: if your photo is landscape oriented. Click on the lower right corner handle (in crop mode, fixed aspect ratio) and drag horizontally to the left. At some point the crop will change from landscape to portrait.
Let me know if it helps.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=149524\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
It does, thank you - you're quite right. So there is no difference between specifying 5x7 and specifying 7x5: LR will flip between them as appropriate.
Cute.
Jeremy
-
It does, thank you - you're quite right. So there is no difference between specifying 5x7 and specifying 7x5: LR will flip between them as appropriate.
Cute.
Jeremy
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=149598\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Great! Sometimes, smart features are not so obvious...