Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear => Topic started by: Calder on October 25, 2007, 08:59:59 am

Title: Canon 10-22mm efs.
Post by: Calder on October 25, 2007, 08:59:59 am
I would like to know more about the performance
of the Canon 10-22 EFS Lens.  Looking for views
on the IQ in particular. I've a pal with the Sigma
10-20 and it's very sharp in the centre, but a bit soft
at the edges when used at full aperture. Don't know
how this stacks up with the Canon?

Rob
Title: Canon 10-22mm efs.
Post by: feppe on October 25, 2007, 02:17:16 pm
Quote
I would like to know more about the performance
of the Canon 10-22 EFS Lens.  Looking for views
on the IQ in particular. I've a pal with the Sigma
10-20 and it's very sharp in the centre, but a bit soft
at the edges when used at full aperture. Don't know
how this stacks up with the Canon?

Rob
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=148571\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

All lenses are more or less soft when used at full aperture. Most people use the lens on a tripod - me included with my Sigma -, so that's not really an issue and a poor basis for lens selection unless you have a specific reason to shoot wide open with this lens. More of an issue is the distortion at shorter focal lengths, which can (mostly) be fixed in post.
Title: Canon 10-22mm efs.
Post by: larsrc on October 28, 2007, 06:22:54 pm
Quote
I would like to know more about the performance
of the Canon 10-22 EFS Lens.  Looking for views
on the IQ in particular. I've a pal with the Sigma
10-20 and it's very sharp in the centre, but a bit soft
at the edges when used at full aperture. Don't know
how this stacks up with the Canon?

Rob
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=148571\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

According to photozone.de, the Sigma is somewhat sharper than the Canon, and has less distortion at 10mm.  Just a question of getting a good copy, given Sigma's QA history.

-Lars
Title: Canon 10-22mm efs.
Post by: budjames on October 28, 2007, 09:13:06 pm
I just purchased the Canon 10-22 for my 40D. It's a great lens - light and sharp. Plus, with a 77mm filter thread, I can use the slim polarizer that I use on my Canon 16-35 lens.

Bud