Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Digital Image Processing => Topic started by: roskav on October 25, 2007, 08:53:35 am

Title: WD Firewire Hard Drives
Post by: roskav on October 25, 2007, 08:53:35 am
Hi everybody

I've decided eventually to back up my info.. there is about 2.5TB on an xserve RAID here... What I've done is to cobble together 3 of my external WD Hard drives (One 500MB and two 1TB (2x500MB) ) and use them as a backup concentrated RAID  set that I can store in another location.

I'm having trouble using disk utility to combine them all .. the process keeps failing with squib RAID sets being generated that I can't seem to mount.  .. Any clues?

R
Title: WD Firewire Hard Drives
Post by: Goodlistener on October 30, 2007, 11:46:34 pm
Its too technical for me.  I bought a LaÇie HDD and their tech support people were very nice.  Maybe the manuacturers of your HDD drives may be able to help more?
Title: WD Firewire Hard Drives
Post by: Thomas Krüger on October 31, 2007, 02:40:12 am
Same here, I have also to decide to switch from several external drives on USB2.
The best solution seems to be an external RAID subsystem with SATA drives like the two systems described in this article on Tom's Hardware:
http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/03/23/raid_boxes_run_riot/ (http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/03/23/raid_boxes_run_riot/)
Title: WD Firewire Hard Drives
Post by: trigeek on November 02, 2007, 05:54:31 am
Quote
Hi everybody

I've decided eventually to back up my info.. there is about 2.5TB on an xserve RAID here... What I've done is to cobble together 3 of my external WD Hard drives (One 500MB and two 1TB (2x500MB) ) and use them as a backup concentrated RAID  set that I can store in another location.

I'm having trouble using disk utility to combine them all .. the process keeps failing with squib RAID sets being generated that I can't seem to mount.  .. Any clues?

R
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=148569\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Have you asked on the Apple forums (I assume you are using an Apple). I find that there are a number of quite knowledgeable people who hang out there.