Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: i2-lens on October 21, 2007, 08:39:05 pm

Title: Epson 3800 over ethernet
Post by: i2-lens on October 21, 2007, 08:39:05 pm
I just recently purchased an Epson 3800 printer.  When connected to my 100mbps Ethernet network, the printer will eject the print, with about 5% left to complete.  When connected via USB, no problems.  I plan to use this printer over Ethernet so I can better share this printer.  

Has anyone run into this problem?  I've downloaded all the latest patches and firmware updates from the Epson sites and have applied them.  I thought that applying the latest printer firmware would solve the issue, but no luck.  Any suggestions and assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, BTW, I'm running  Windows Vista.
Title: Epson 3800 over ethernet
Post by: madmanchan on October 22, 2007, 12:16:10 pm
http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support...2509&foid=89569 (http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/supDetail.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&infoType=FAQ&oid=79928&prodoid=63062509&foid=89569)
Title: Epson 3800 over ethernet
Post by: i2-lens on October 22, 2007, 07:31:37 pm
Thanks Eric,  I will try this tonight and report on the results.  Much appreciated.
Title: Epson 3800 over ethernet
Post by: i2-lens on October 23, 2007, 08:20:20 am
Tried suggested procedure and now I'm happily printing over IP/Ethernet.  Thanks for the link.
Fernand
Title: Epson 3800 over ethernet
Post by: madmanchan on October 23, 2007, 09:04:45 am
Cool!
Title: Epson 3800 over ethernet
Post by: dmccombs on October 23, 2007, 11:47:53 am
Is printing via the ethernet noticibly faster than using USB2?

Thanks,
Darrell
Title: Epson 3800 over ethernet
Post by: madmanchan on October 23, 2007, 11:53:34 am
Hi Darrell,

No. Print speed is about the same. The bottleneck here is the actual print head and paper feed mechanism of the printer itself, rather than the speed at which the data is sent to the printer.

The primary benefit of Ethernet is more flexibility in the placement of the printer around the apartment/house/studio.
Title: Epson 3800 over ethernet
Post by: dmccombs on October 23, 2007, 04:11:45 pm
Eric,

    Thanks for the info.

    I have a NAS drive that provides a Print server function.  I guess I will do that instead since there is no speed advantage.  At least with the NAS/Print Server setup, the PC will spool the job out faster so I can do other things witht he PC without having to worry about mesing up the print job.

Thanks,
Darrell
Title: Epson 3800 over ethernet
Post by: i2-lens on October 23, 2007, 06:51:21 pm
Prior to my purchase of the 3800, I was using an Epson 2200 printer through a dlink print server.  It printed ok, however, the Epson Print Monitor did not function so I never know if I was out of ink or not.  If you are going through a third party print server, you might want to double check if the printer is supported through the print server manufacturer.  Just a suggestion.

I'm really happy with the 3800 over the 2200.  I noticed that the print quality is better and the speed is much better.  I bought the Portrait Edition and I'm having problems getting it to work with Vista.  I'm still working on that problem, but the printer itself is working fine.

good luck.
FP
Title: Epson 3800 over ethernet
Post by: Gregory on October 24, 2007, 10:51:33 am
just for reference, I'm using the Epson 3850 (i.e.; 3800) here at home with a LinkSys WET54G WiFi/Ethernet bridge and it works great. Our main network runs from a LinkSys WRT54G WiFi Router Switch.

as previously mentioned, I think the USB/Ethernet/WiFi speeds are pretty similar although I print most of my photos on A4 paper. differences might be more noticeable when printing on larger papers.
Title: Epson 3800 over ethernet
Post by: neil snape on October 24, 2007, 01:14:09 pm
Actually it depends on the amount of activity on the USB bus being polled and used for comm to the printer (s). If the bus is seeing heavy traffic the resources will slow down your system, where as Ethernet has a more specific function which can provide a cleaner path, requiring less overhead in the case of printing compared to a busy USB bus. If you have a dedicated USB bus then this will be a moot issue. In the case of the recent HP, the Ethernet cards are Gigabit but the HP needs more spooling/ sending power than Epson. I think the new Epson 11880 are Gb Tx also which would be good for 16 bit doc flux.
Title: Epson 3800 over ethernet
Post by: madmanchan on October 24, 2007, 04:53:46 pm
Right, I hadn't thought of that, Neil. (Most of the time I have nothing else happening over USB.)
Title: Epson 3800 over ethernet
Post by: red2 on October 28, 2007, 07:45:17 am
Hi,

I clicked on the link and got a page with the following:

IM Communication Error
error code = 200

What does this mean? I gather from responses by others that no one else got this.
Title: Epson 3800 over ethernet
Post by: madmanchan on October 28, 2007, 10:56:41 am
Which link? Which browser?
Title: Epson 3800 over ethernet
Post by: red2 on October 28, 2007, 10:21:53 pm
Quote
Which link? Which browser?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=149163\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I clicked on the link you posted in the second message in this thread. Used Safari (v 2.0.4) on a Mac (OS X 10.4.10).
Title: Epson 3800 over ethernet
Post by: madmanchan on October 29, 2007, 05:30:52 pm
Weird, that link works here in Firefox on Windows.

In any case, you can get the info by going to the Epson USA support site, going to the 3800 page, go to the FAQ, and look for Vista questions.

(This problem doesn't affect OS X, as far as I know.)