Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear => Topic started by: situgrrl on October 19, 2007, 11:21:59 am

Title: Buying in Thailand
Post by: situgrrl on October 19, 2007, 11:21:59 am
I'm shortly leaving for Thailand where I will be spending a month.  I have sold my equipment and am looking to buy some secondhand film gear - either Bronica RF, Zeiss Ikon or Leica (M4-P) with two lenses.  I'm still torn between formats and much depends on availability as well.  I also want to get a digicam (probably the 28mm Ixus, maybe a G9)

Should I wait until I have landed before buying or would I be better off here in the UK?  I suspect that Thai pricing is beneficial but I worry whether I will find what I'm looking for....possibly because I've not been before!

Thanks

Charly
Title: Buying in Thailand
Post by: Andy M on October 19, 2007, 12:07:47 pm
I'd recommend buying here, as I've never found Thai prices to be any improvement.

Personally, I'd be looking to import from the US. Having you had a look at www.keh.com ?
Title: Buying in Thailand
Post by: marcmccalmont on October 19, 2007, 01:10:07 pm
Thai prices are a bit high but if you are transitting through Tokyo used japanese cameras are very well priced. The Bronica would be very reasonable and worth the day looking. I have pieced together  a Mamiya AFDII and lenses at bargan prices ie 35mm $600 new! 120mm macro $750 new! 55-110 $1000 new! 105-210 $650 used! etc. The german gear holds it's value but the Japanese cameras are well priced.
Marc
Title: Buying in Thailand
Post by: Neil Hunt on October 19, 2007, 06:21:14 pm
Charly,

Haven't been to Thailand for a few years, but from my last visit I'd suggest it may be worth taking film with you. Depends what you use of course, but I found picking up MF reversal film there wasn't too easy, even when film was still king.

Neil.
Title: Buying in Thailand
Post by: willow on October 23, 2007, 12:16:08 am
Charly


I am located in Thailand.

Try looking at these websites for available equipment and prices - these are both reputable  camerashops in BKK.

http://www.avcamera.com/ (http://www.avcamera.com/)

http://www.fotofile.net/ (http://www.fotofile.net/)


- Some discount may be offered in-store.


(There is also 7% VAT refund at the airport - but not for secondhand!)


You will get a better EX rate for money in downtown BKK, - Definatly better than you will get in the UK! Though you will need some cash for the Taxi from the airport  - unless your hotel provides collection. - you can exchange money inside the terminal with no commission - unlike the UK!

http://www.siamexchange.co.th/ (http://www.siamexchange.co.th/)
http://www.superrich1965.com/node/18 (http://www.superrich1965.com/node/18)


There are some second hand camera shops around Yaowarat (chinatown) I have heard - but cannot confirm.  

If you fly via Dubai, it may be worth looking for the Isux there - though anywhere you decide on will have local warranty - unless you get international.


Incidentally, where are you going I might be able to give you some locations.

Philip