Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: Bernd B. on October 19, 2007, 06:55:54 am

Title: Leaf Valeo 17 and Hassy 2000 FC possible
Post by: Bernd B. on October 19, 2007, 06:55:54 am
(edit: I forgot the question mark in the headline)

The Zeiss 100 3,5 lens for Hasselblad V gives fine quality but the DOF is a bit to extended for me (not enough background blurr). I´m thinking about a Zeiss 110 2,0 with a 2000 FC, FC/M or FCW. I know about the problems with the shutter, but is it possible to work with a valeo on a focal plane shutter Hasselblad?

In the FS section someone recently sold a Hassy 2000 with a 110mm he used with a Phase One H20. I asked him about the quality of the lens and his answer was just two words: "really sharp".

Is there anybody out there who can tell me if it`s worth the try? Is the 110 at f/2 good enough for a picture of a whole person from the head to the feet?

Thanks for your input,

Bernd

www.bernd-bodtlaender.de
Title: Leaf Valeo 17 and Hassy 2000 FC possible
Post by: SeanBK on October 19, 2007, 08:29:36 am
Quote
(edit: I forgot the question mark in the headline)

..........Is there anybody out there who can tell me if it`s worth the try? Is the 110 at f/2 good enough for a picture of a whole person from the head to the feet?

Thanks for your input,

Bernd

www.bernd-bodtlaender.de
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=147137\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Bernd,
    I have used in past extensively 2000 FC/M & 150 @ f/2.8 & it was fantastic. That's what I compare all my lenses with. The distance may be slightly greater than 110@f/2. I am not sure @ Leaf 17 with 2000 FC/M, I know it works with Hassey backs.
    Do let us know, whether Valeo 17 & 2000 FC/M works.
Title: Leaf Valeo 17 and Hassy 2000 FC possible
Post by: Ed Jack on October 19, 2007, 10:24:10 am
Quote
Bernd,
    I have used in past extensively 2000 FC/M & 150 @ f/2.8 & it was fantastic. That's what I compare all my lenses with. The distance may be slightly greater than 110@f/2. I am not sure @ Leaf 17 with 2000 FC/M, I know it works with Hassey backs.
    Do let us know, whether Valeo 17 & 2000 FC/M works.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=147150\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

F-serries will only work with a MFDB if the camera is modified by Hasselblad... suprise suprise for only a Hasselblad back.... the F-serries specific 16MP back (CV16 type of thing). I do not believe that it is possible any other way - btw, Hassie do it by modoifying the dark side senor to act as the trigger for back activation per shot (neat eh ?).
Title: Leaf Valeo 17 and Hassy 2000 FC possible
Post by: Bernd B. on October 19, 2007, 12:21:59 pm
i just went to the studio of a friend: it doesn´t fit. you can only attach it under pressure (not to be recommended to try tris at home).

what a disappointment !

does anybody know how to get arround this ? how to attach a valeo to a fcw?

the friend has a phaseone h20 and p45 and they attach well to the 2000 fcw.
Title: Leaf Valeo 17 and Hassy 2000 FC possible
Post by: yaya on October 19, 2007, 12:26:46 pm
Mechanically the back should fit easily on the camera, so it could be a combination of a "tight" mount on both back and body...

However, the 2000 series can be used but only with C, CF, CFE or CFi lenses and a sync cable and there will still be some speed limitations.

In short, there is a reason why our data sheet says "except for the 200 and 2000 series"...

Hope this helps

Yair



Quote
i just went to the studio of a friend: it doesn´t fit. you can only attach it under pressure (not to be recommended to try tris at home).

what a disappointment !

does anybody know how to get arround this ? how to attach a valeo to a fcw?

the friend has a phaseone h20 and p45 and they attach well to the 2000 fcw.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=147218\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Title: Leaf Valeo 17 and Hassy 2000 FC possible
Post by: Bernd B. on October 19, 2007, 01:09:30 pm
Quote
Mechanically the back should fit easily on the camera, so it could be a combination of a "tight" mount on both back and body...

However, the 2000 series can be used but only with C, CF, CFE or CFi lenses and a sync cable and there will still be some speed limitations.

In short, there is a reason why our data sheet says "except for the 200 and 2000 series"...

Hope this helps

Yair
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=147220\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thank you. I thought I ´d damage the back.

So I can´t use the focal plane shutter? The camera-body has its own pc connector for flash sync. Will the sync between body and back not work when I connect them via cable? Why can phase do it? Would you need a specific profile for the sync signal of the 2000 fcw?

The most interesting lenses for a 2000 fcw are of course those without leaf shutter (50/2,8, 110/2,0, 150/2,8, 250/4,0).
Title: Leaf Valeo 17 and Hassy 2000 FC possible
Post by: yaya on October 19, 2007, 02:00:49 pm
Quote
Thank you. I thought I ´d damage the back.

So I can´t use the focal plane shutter? The camera-body has its own pc connector for flash sync. Will the sync between body and back not work when I connect them via cable? Why can phase do it? Would you need a specific profile for the sync signal of the 2000 fcw?

The most interesting lenses for a 2000 fcw are of course those without leaf shutter (50/2,8, 110/2,0, 150/2,8, 250/4,0).
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a] (http://index.php?act=findpost&pid=147230\")

I can't speak for Phase but AFAIK and according to [a href=\"http://www.phaseone.com/Content/p1digitalbacks/P-,-a-,H-series/Compatibility%20chart.aspx]this page[/url] the camera is not *officially* supported.

We have tried this in the past and the demand compared to the investment required did not justify entering this project.

Sorry:-(

Yair
Title: Leaf Valeo 17 and Hassy 2000 FC possible
Post by: Bernd B. on October 19, 2007, 02:28:56 pm
Quote
I can't speak for Phase but AFAIK and according to this page (http://www.phaseone.com/Content/p1digitalbacks/P-,-a-,H-series/Compatibility%20chart.aspx) the camera is not *officially* supported.

We have tried this in the past and the demand compared to the investment required did not justify entering this project.

Sorry:-(

Yair
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=147238\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Don´t worry. That´s the way things are.

The 110/2,0 would make THE ideal portrait and people lens with a 33x42mm sensor.

So you  tried yourself to run a leaf back with a fcw? Difficult to imagine for me that sync signals can be so different from each other.

What do you mean when you say even with C/CF etc. lenses not all times work properly on a fcw? Does the fcw-body cause some kind of irritation?

Bernd
Title: Leaf Valeo 17 and Hassy 2000 FC possible
Post by: Bernd B. on November 15, 2007, 07:52:51 pm
Quote
So you  tried yourself to run a leaf back with a fcw? Difficult to imagine for me that sync signals can be so different from each other.

Bernd
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=147243\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Somewhere I found the answer to an older question of myself today:

Most backs need to know the beginning and the end of the exposure. The shutter of a CF lens communicates the both of them. The Hasselblad FCW cameras produce only one synch-signal at the beginning of the exposure. That´s not enough for most DBs to work properly.