Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear => Topic started by: Gordon Buck on October 17, 2007, 08:14:26 pm
-
I should know the answer to this question. In fact, I think I do know the answer -- I just don't like my answer.
The small Canon digicams have small rechargeable batteries and small chargers. It sure is convenient to leave a charged-up spare battery in the charger and pack the assembly in the camera bag. Is this OK?
I've actually been doing this frequently for the past ten months. As far as I can tell, it doesn't affect the battery at all. Of course, I haven't actually taken any measurements but the battery seems OK. Still, every time I leave the battery in the charger, I feel uncomfortable.
Anyone else doing this?
-
I find that if I leave the batteries in the camera it loses its charge faster later when in use. I have observed that with AA batteries as well as rechargeable batteries. So when I come home from an assignement, I always take the batteries out of the camera, and of the charger once they have charged up.
Marie
-
There is no "electrical" reason to NOT store your battery in it's charger. It does not shorten the battery life. nor does it lessen the state of charge and it does not cause any sort of discharge.
That said however...the problem with batteries is that they can leak. Most if not ALL recommend removing batteries from devices when said devices won't be used for a period of time.
A battery charger is usually an inexpensive device compared to the product the battery powers...and if the battery were to leak and damage the charger...well you have to decide the "risk/convienence" issue...
I remove the battery from the camera whenever it's not in use...and I too use my charger as a "housing" for my spare battery...
I will "risk" leakage within the charger...I won't "risk" leakage within the camera
-
So when I come home from an assignement, I always take the batteries out of the camera, and of the charger once they have charged up.
Leave the batteries in the camera, or you'll lose the clock setting, and any other custom camera settings you've made. Just change the batteries before shooting if you're worried about their remaining charge. Unless you're storing the camera more than a month, it's not an issue anyway.
-
Remove batteries from cameras if they're going to be out of use for more than a couple of weeks because most cameras I've come across drain batteries, albeit very slowly. Don't store batteries in chargers when they're switched off because they'll discharge back through the charger. In both cases: leaving a discharged battery open circuit is a sure way to kill it so it's always best to leave it disconnected after a full discharge/recharge cycle.