Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: ltr03 on October 17, 2007, 09:18:28 am

Title: Looking for some luster/satin paper recommendation
Post by: ltr03 on October 17, 2007, 09:18:28 am
I looking to try some new luster/satin and was hopping for some recommendations. I have been printing on Red River Ultra Pro Satin and Canon Satin. What’s your favorite?
Title: Looking for some luster/satin paper recommendation
Post by: DarkPenguin on October 17, 2007, 09:28:32 am
Inkjet art micro ceramic luster.
Title: Looking for some luster/satin paper recommendation
Post by: tomrock on October 17, 2007, 04:24:36 pm
I'm just curious -- is there something you don't like about the Red River paper? I use Inkjetart Micro Ceramic Luster and I was going to try the RR paper. Maybe we should swap?
Title: Looking for some luster/satin paper recommendation
Post by: KeithR on October 17, 2007, 06:08:23 pm
Quote
I looking to try some new luster/satin and was hopping for some recommendations. I have been printing on Red River Ultra Pro Satin and Canon Satin. What’s your favorite?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=146613\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I have used and like the Sharpwing Luster from Hawk Mountain.
Title: Looking for some luster/satin paper recommendation
Post by: Geoff Wittig on October 17, 2007, 06:57:18 pm
Quote
I looking to try some new luster/satin and was hopping for some recommendations. I have been printing on Red River Ultra Pro Satin and Canon Satin. What’s your favorite?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=146613\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

What printer do you use? This has some bearing on the choice.
Satin also means different things to different manufacturers. HP's pro satin has basically a semigloss smooth surface and intrudes minimally on the image's innate characteristics. Epson's premium luster has a lot more fine stippling when you catch a reflection. Hahnemuhle's photo rag satin actually has more of an eggshell texture, with a soft almost metallic sheen after it's been inked.

I think the best way to go is to obtain a sample pack of the papers you're interested in, and print a few of your favorite images on each. Which paper works best for you? Once you figure that out, stop wasting time on testing and get to work printing for real. Like, a portfolio of your best work.
Title: Looking for some luster/satin paper recommendation
Post by: DarkPenguin on October 17, 2007, 08:48:14 pm
Quote
I'm just curious -- is there something you don't like about the Red River paper? I use Inkjetart Micro Ceramic Luster and I was going to try the RR paper. Maybe we should swap?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=146718\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Biggest issue I have with Red River was the "get bent" they gave me when I asked it they would have profiles for the hp b9180.  There are profiles now and the paper is pretty good for the price.

The rr polar satin is quite nice.  I plan on buying a box or two.  You can order a box of RR samples for cheap.  Quite a lot of sheets.  Actually enough to figure out how to print on it.  The normal 2 sheet sample boxes can be tough.  Usually takes me a few images to sort out how to print on a new type of paper.
Title: Looking for some luster/satin paper recommendation
Post by: ltr03 on October 17, 2007, 09:33:18 pm
Quote
I'm just curious -- is there something you don't like about the Red River paper? I use Inkjetart Micro Ceramic Luster and I was going to try the RR paper. Maybe we should swap?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=146718\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

no, no I very much like the Red River   Just was curious because I hear there are some new papers out there and my stock of RR is starting to run low. I think I have a sample pack around hear from Inkjetart, I will have to try and find it now
Title: Looking for some luster/satin paper recommendation
Post by: ltr03 on October 17, 2007, 09:35:25 pm
Thanks Geoff, I forgot to add my printer is the iPF5000.

Quote
What printer do you use? This has some bearing on the choice.
Satin also means different things to different manufacturers. HP's pro satin has basically a semigloss smooth surface and intrudes minimally on the image's innate characteristics. Epson's premium luster has a lot more fine stippling when you catch a reflection. Hahnemuhle's photo rag satin actually has more of an eggshell texture, with a soft almost metallic sheen after it's been inked.

I think the best way to go is to obtain a sample pack of the papers you're interested in, and print a few of your favorite images on each. Which paper works best for you? Once you figure that out, stop wasting time on testing and get to work printing for real. Like, a portfolio of your best work.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=146750\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]