Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: Jason Denning on October 16, 2007, 07:07:41 pm
-
Hi,
Is anyone using the Mamiya 645 Pro Tl with a digital back. I know I have current options from hasselblad and Sinar via adapters but will this send ISO info to the camera meter or will I be stuck using and external meter?
And before anyone tells me to get an AFD, I like having a WLF and I have 3 pro bodies I don't want to waist!
Thanks
Jason
-
Hi,
Is anyone using the Mamiya 645 Pro Tl with a digital back. I know I have current options from hasselblad and Sinar via adapters but will this send ISO info to the camera meter or will I be stuck using and external meter?
And before anyone tells me to get an AFD, I like having a WLF and I have 3 pro bodies I don't want to waist!
Thanks
Jason
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=146463\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
no replies I'll chip in what I know..
Sorry I dont know about the metering but the rest shoulb be fine
As long as you set the same ISO on the back and body the meter will be fine anyway
I think this is an interesting underrated system - great range of bargain lenses including leaf for decent flash
Personally i find the finder a bit gritty to focus and on a DBack you really need good focus cos it just pings out if you are out
ps discalimer: I have a proTL system and a DBack on a hassy but have never got the back on the TL
Welcome to the board !
S
-
Thanks for the welcome and info Sam, I was beginning to think I was all alone with my pro tl!
The main reason I really like the camera is that it is all manual, I like have a knob for all the funtions, especially the aperture. Plus the waist level finder! I put in a beattie intenscreen and focusing seems to be fine, although I'm sure it will get harder as my eyes give in.
You can only set the ISO on the back annoyingly with the pro tl. If you remove the back the meter stops working. Looks like it may be an external meter then.
I don't think I'll be getting a back too soon anyway as I can get the equivalent off 75mp out of velvia and my scanner. But If i find a used sinar or hassy back at a good price maybe I might dive in early.
Cheers
Jason
no replies I'll chip in what I know..
Sorry I dont know about the metering but the rest shoulb be fine
As long as you set the same ISO on the back and body the meter will be fine anyway
I think this is an interesting underrated system - great range of bargain lenses including leaf for decent flash
Personally i find the finder a bit gritty to focus and on a DBack you really need good focus cos it just pings out if you are out
ps discalimer: I have a proTL system and a DBack on a hassy but have never got the back on the TL
Welcome to the board !
S
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=147464\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
-
You can only set the ISO on the back annoyingly with the pro t[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=147511\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
yeah forgot that - its been in the cupboard so long
you get a really good meter on the back of the digiback - histogram
with my manual nikon lenses on my kodak SLRN (also a cupoarder now) thats how I did it for two years (no metering with that setup)
S
-
... 75mp out of velvia and my scanner. But If i find a used sinar or hassy back at a good price maybe I might dive in early.
...
Cheers
Jason
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=147511\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
At the risk of starting another long tirade on film vs digitar, I'm gonna ask, are you sure ?
-
Yes lets not get into that topic again.
Give or take I can get 75mp at a push, yes the grain is quite big at 100% but prints at 300dpi look great! I have printes up to 1.2 metres wide that I am very happy with and to fill that space it is a file over 130mp.
I have attached a 60mp scan (with some dust!) and I think the grain & detail is far nicer than looking at a digital file from a p45 at 100%, but that's my opinion.
So the digital backs will have to get to around 60mp before I really start ditching film.
Jason
[attachment=3622:attachment]
At the risk of starting another long tirade on film vs digitar, I'm gonna ask, are you sure ?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=147532\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]