Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Adobe Lightroom Q&A => Topic started by: travelenfree on October 09, 2007, 04:12:15 am

Title: Renaming a folder in Lightroom
Post by: travelenfree on October 09, 2007, 04:12:15 am
Can I rename a folder in my Lightroom Library or do I have to rename the  folder
in the "My Documents" window?  I seem to remember that if I rename a folder in the Lightroom Library, Lightroom would not be able to find it if it is listed under a different folder name elsewhere.
Title: Renaming a folder in Lightroom
Post by: Deep on October 09, 2007, 04:23:27 am
Quote
Can I rename a folder in my Lightroom Library or do I have to rename the  folder
in the "My Documents" window?  I seem to remember that if I rename a folder in the Lightroom Library, Lightroom would not be able to find it if it is listed under a different folder name elsewhere.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=144783\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Just double click on the folder name and type a new name.  When you hit return, the folder name on your drive changes and Lightroom has no trouble finding it again.  At least on my Mac!

Don.
Title: Renaming a folder in Lightroom
Post by: travelenfree on October 09, 2007, 12:34:01 pm
Quote
Can I rename a folder in my Lightroom Library or do I have to rename the  folder
in the "My Documents" window?  I seem to remember that if I rename a folder in the Lightroom Library, Lightroom would not be able to find it if it is listed under a different folder name elsewhere.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=144783\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Title: Renaming a folder in Lightroom
Post by: travelenfree on October 09, 2007, 12:40:06 pm
Would renaming a folder in Lightroom work the same way on my Windows PC as it does on a Mac?
Title: Renaming a folder in Lightroom
Post by: Arnaud73 on October 09, 2007, 01:20:52 pm
Quote
Would renaming a folder in Lightroom work the same way on my Windows PC as it does on a Mac?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=144844\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes.
Title: Renaming a folder in Lightroom
Post by: Nat Coalson on October 09, 2007, 11:48:05 pm
Keep in mind that Lightroom uses a database to keep track of the location and names of all the items you've imported into the database (aka Catalog).

Any changes you make from within the Folders panel in Lightroom are applied directly to the files and folders on your hard drive, but the reverse is not true: If you make changes to the names or locations of files or folders outside Lightroom, you then need to right-click (or control click) on the folder and select Synchronize from the pop menu to get Lightroom's database up to date.

It's critical to keep your "physical" files/folders (those on the hard drive) up-to-date within Lightroom.

You won't be able to Develop files that Lightroom can't find (though you can make Slideshows and Web galleries with just the full size previews within Lightroom).
Title: Renaming a folder in Lightroom
Post by: travelenfree on October 11, 2007, 12:47:55 am
Thank You, Deep, Lapino, and Matt for responding to my question about renaming a folder in Lightroom.  The best thing about your comments was...It Worked Perfectly and so easily.  Much Appreciated...