Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear => Topic started by: BernardLanguillier on October 08, 2007, 10:36:03 am

Title: New Ebony 617s
Post by: BernardLanguillier on October 08, 2007, 10:36:03 am
Not sure whether this has been reported on this site yet?

http://www.ebonycamera.com (http://www.ebonycamera.com)

Probably the best 617 option as of yet IMHO. Full movement and true wysiwyg. I'll probably visit them one of these days to give it a very close look.

Regards,
Bernard
Title: New Ebony 617s
Post by: K.C. on October 09, 2007, 04:08:03 pm
A little on the pricey side over here.

http://snipr.com/1rz1t (http://snipr.com/1rz1t)
Title: New Ebony 617s
Post by: BernardLanguillier on October 09, 2007, 09:49:20 pm
Quote
A little on the pricey side over here.

http://snipr.com/1rz1t (http://snipr.com/1rz1t)
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=144897\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yep, it is definitely not a cheap piece of equipment, but most of the alternatives are IMHO overpriced as well.

This camera is the first one that makes me consider investing into 617 though.

Cheers,
Bernard
Title: New Ebony 617s
Post by: luong on November 14, 2007, 01:40:05 pm
If using something which has the form factor of a large format camera (as opposed to a big point and shoot box), I'd rather just shoot 5x7.
Title: New Ebony 617s
Post by: BernardLanguillier on November 14, 2007, 07:39:43 pm
Quote
If using something which has the form factor of a large format camera (as opposed to a big point and shoot box), I'd rather just shoot 5x7.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=152770\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That's a valid point, but the Ebony 6x17 has some advantages:

- hinged ground glass that only shows 6x17,
- lighter than 5x7, although only marginally so,
- it comes equiped with a modified 6x17 film holder, I don't think that these can be bought easily otherwise.

Besides, do some people really use the p'n's 6x17 cameras handheld? Some might, but I have never seen a succesful 6x17 image printed large that was shot handheld.

Cheers,
Bernard
Title: New Ebony 617s
Post by: luong on November 15, 2007, 01:10:19 pm
Quote
That's a valid point, but the Ebony 6x17 has some advantages:

- hinged ground glass that only shows 6x17,
- lighter than 5x7, although only marginally so,
- it comes equiped with a modified 6x17 film holder, I don't think that these can be bought easily otherwise.

Besides, do some people really use the p'n's 6x17 cameras handheld? Some might, but I have never seen a succesful 6x17 image printed large that was shot handheld.

Cheers,
Bernard
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=152895\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

My Canham  5x7 weights less than this Ebony. There is a 6x17 made by Canham that fits it perfectly, but for the occasional 6x17, I just crop down 5x7. Even with the back, the price is half the Ebony.

Even when you use a tripod, there is a big difference in operation between a view camera and the other types. See what happened to Michael's Linhof.
Title: New Ebony 617s
Post by: BernardLanguillier on November 15, 2007, 02:27:20 pm
Quote
My Canham  5x7 weights less than this Ebony. There is a 6x17 made by Canham that fits it perfectly, but for the occasional 6x17, I just crop down 5x7. Even with the back, the price is half the Ebony.

Even when you use a tripod, there is a big difference in operation between a view camera and the other types. See what happened to Michael's Linhof.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=153112\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Correct me if I am wrong, but the Canham is a folding type camera, correct?

The main difference of the Ebony (I have a 45SU very similar to the new 617) is that the are non folding. Their operation is significantly faster that that of the non folding type.

Anyway, I am not trying to convince you, using a 5x17 is obviously a good alternative. I will personnally not be able to afford the Ebony either.

Cheers,
Bernard
Title: New Ebony 617s
Post by: luong on November 15, 2007, 03:44:42 pm
You are entirely right. The Canham takes a good 30s-1min to unfold and parallelism of standards in neutral configuration is an issue if not careful. I was just trying to point out to a practical alternative to the Ebony for those wanting to shoot 6x17 with movements.
Title: New Ebony 617s
Post by: K.C. on November 18, 2007, 03:24:56 am
Canham cameras are every bit as good as an Ebony in my opinion, having owned both.
Title: New Ebony 617s
Post by: BernardLanguillier on November 18, 2007, 03:31:14 am
Quote
Canham cameras are every bit as good as an Ebony in my opinion, having owned both.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=153773\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I am not familiar with their products.

- Do they have non folding type cameras?
- Do they have a specific 6x17 model?

Thank you.

Regards,
Bernard