Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: eleanorbrown on October 04, 2007, 06:35:16 pm
-
For those of you interested......I printed a black and white high key file (snow, clouds,
etc) and a low key black and white file (lots of darks with shadow
detail )also with areas of light sky that would print with little or
no ink lay down). I printed identical files on both the Hahnemuhle
and Harman Baryta papers using Imageprint. As far as the actual print goes (tonal
values, detail, etc) both papers are excellent with virtually no
difference in quality. Both papers have minimal to non existent
metamerism and minimal gloss differential. I found the Hahnemuhle to
have a slightly glossier base than the Harman(which had a little more
diffuse gloss when held side to side with the Hahnemuhle print).
While the Hahnemuhle gloss serves to hide any gloss differential a
bit better than the Harman, I prefer the slightly softer gloss of the
Harman. I held the prints in all sorts of lighting at all kinds of
angles to compare the gloss differential and metamerism. In normal
viewing circumstances, both papers are free of any reflection issues
(metamerism, gloss differential, etc.). the texture on both papers
was very subtle and I found about equal, tho slightly different. I
actually found that, to my eye the Harman paper was a bit brighter
than the Hahnemuhle---but not noticeable so. When held next to epson
premium glossy, both papers have a pleasant soft white base.
A problem both papers have is that they don't corner mount well---
they don't lay flat like Museo silver rag or Hahnemuhle fine art
pearl do. I will have to find some way to cold mount prints done on
papers in this new category. In my darkroom days I would dry mount
everything as I like that look. (don't like wavy prints in a mat). The Hahnemuhle paper does tend to lay a bit flatter than the Harman however.
In the end my current favorite is probably going to be the harman
because the gloss is more diffuse and a bit softer. I also felt the
Harman paper felt a tad more substantial in weight, even tho they
weight virtually the same.
Eleanor
-
Hi Eleanor,
Thanks for the report. Some quick questions if you don't mind:
- what printer did you use?
- had IP already profile available fot the 2 papers?
Thanks,
Regards,
Bernard
-
The files were printed on an epson 2400 using Imageprint. For the harman I used Ilford Gallery glossy profile and for the Hahnemuhle I used Hahnemuhle Fine Art pearl. Both these profiles worked very well and produced identical prints, or nearly so. I printed "neutral" at 50/50 in Imageprint. The Hahnemuhle printed a tad warmer than the Harman---but again the print differences in these papers are so small they are not an issue--both are surperb...... IP doesn't have profiles for these papers yet--at least for the 2400. I'm in Colorado right now and don't have access to my main printer in Houston, a 7800. I don't know if profiles have been made for the 7800 or other printers yet or not (by IP). Eleanor
Hi Eleanor,
Thanks for the report. Some quick questions if you don't mind:
- what printer did you use?
- had IP already profile available fot the 2 papers?
Thanks,
Regards,
Bernard
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=143907\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
-
Eleanor,
Thanks so much for the report. I found it very useful. I am expecting a 24" roll to be shipped to me sometime in the next week. I just checked the IP FTP system and still do not see profiles for my Epson 7800 and Phatte black. I have been emailing IP support and did receive on Tuesday profiles via a zipped file for my 7800 and phatte black. In the email it was stated that the profiles are completed, just not yet uploaded to the server. I hope they are uploaded in short order. I am hopeful for good quality control on the rolls as this has been a major problem for me on other fiber gloss papers. I will report back on the rolls and profiles when I get up and running with the paper. Thanks again Eleanor.
Jeff Ball
The files were printed on an epson 2400 using Imageprint. For the harman I used Ilford Gallery glossy profile and for the Hahnemuhle I used Hahnemuhle Fine Art pearl. Both these profiles worked very well and produced identical prints, or nearly so. I printed "neutral" at 50/50 in Imageprint. The Hahnemuhle printed a tad warmer than the Harman---but again the print differences in these papers are so small they are not an issue--both are surperb...... IP doesn't have profiles for these papers yet--at least for the 2400. I'm in Colorado right now and don't have access to my main printer in Houston, a 7800. I don't know if profiles have been made for the 7800 or other printers yet or not (by IP). Eleanor
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=143933\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
-
Eleanor,
Thanks for the excellent report. I have samples of the Harman that I am about to try with my Epson 2200. This does look very promising.
-
Harman has profiles available for most printers on there web site, although, you have to register with them first.
-
"....I am hopeful for good quality control on the rolls as this has been a major problem for me on other fiber gloss papers. ..."
Jeff Ball
[/quote]
Since Harman is using the same coating machines that coated Ilford Gallerie etc I would expect the coatings on these papers to be excellent.
A lot of coatings attempted by paper mills and third party coaters have not been that hot.
Cheers,
Brian
www.pharoseditions.com.au