Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Adobe Lightroom Q&A => Topic started by: creativepro on September 29, 2007, 03:03:35 am

Title: Beginners Questions
Post by: creativepro on September 29, 2007, 03:03:35 am
Some questions before updating to Lightroom 1.2

These are:

Question: 1. before I do, what happens to presets that I recently downloaded?

Question 2. Can I delete presets - ( the ones I find obsolete)? if so where and how?

Question is there a pre-set anywhere that crops for aspect ratio ie for printing sizes eg 6x4 and 5x7?

Question 3. Concern on downloading update as from what I have read it has caused so many issues that are not in 1.1.?
Title: Beginners Questions
Post by: Nat Coalson on September 29, 2007, 10:14:56 am
creativepro -

I think you should definitely upgrade to 1.2; it's a big step forward.

Your existing Presets will not be affected by the upgrade.

You can manually add/remove/change presets; under the Help menu select "Go to Lightroom Presets Folder". You'll see all the different types of Presets in their own folders.

Re: cropping preset to specific aspect ratio - you can save your own Develop Preset for this; it's easy to do. Just crop an image the way you like (and save the Crop ration in the crop ratio list); then click the + symbol in the Develop Presets Panel to make your new preset. Give it a descriptive name like "6x4 Crop". (Note, however, that 6x4 is the same as 2x3, which is already in the list). You can use horizontal/vertical versions of the crops.

Re: concern with upgrading - as with any software, different people will have different problems. It all depends on your computer and OS. I'm not sure what issues you are referring to... I'm using Mac OS X Tiger (10.4) and have moved all the way from Beta 2-3-4, to 1.0, 1.1 and 1.2 without a single hitch.

Good luck!
Title: Beginners Questions
Post by: sniper on September 29, 2007, 10:55:57 am
Like Nat I'd recomend the upgrade,  I'm on Windows XP pro and I went from 1.0 to 1.1 and then to 1.2 with no problems at all.  Wayne
Title: Beginners Questions
Post by: seanmcfoto on September 29, 2007, 11:55:20 pm
Nat, while Crop is available during Sync, it's not available to save in a Develop preset. I've moaned about this a bit, but I think I'll do it again.
Title: Beginners Questions
Post by: creativepro on October 01, 2007, 09:38:53 pm
Thanks Nat and everyone who has responded.

I do have Tiger 10.4.10  so I will give the upgrade a go as soon as I get over my lousy flu


Sue

Quote
creativepro -

I think you should definitely upgrade to 1.2; it's a big step forward.

Your existing Presets will not be affected by the upgrade.

You can manually add/remove/change presets; under the Help menu select "Go to Lightroom Presets Folder". You'll see all the different types of Presets in their own folders.

Re: cropping preset to specific aspect ratio - you can save your own Develop Preset for this; it's easy to do. Just crop an image the way you like (and save the Crop ration in the crop ratio list); then click the + symbol in the Develop Presets Panel to make your new preset. Give it a descriptive name like "6x4 Crop". (Note, however, that 6x4 is the same as 2x3, which is already in the list). You can use horizontal/vertical versions of the crops.

Re: concern with upgrading - as with any software, different people will have different problems. It all depends on your computer and OS. I'm not sure what issues you are referring to... I'm using Mac OS X Tiger (10.4) and have moved all the way from Beta 2-3-4, to 1.0, 1.1 and 1.2 without a single hitch.

Good luck!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=142644\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]