Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Digital Image Processing => Topic started by: Hendrik on September 25, 2007, 02:14:50 pm

Title: LCD uneven illumination, just ignore?
Post by: Hendrik on September 25, 2007, 02:14:50 pm
I have a new display for 3 weeks (Samsung 215TW (S-PVA)) and got a new system with Vista this weekend. I validated my profile and got very different dE in the whites. Someone suggested uneven illumination, therefore I choose a neutral dark gray background a moment ago and was shocked … I noticed a very inhomogeneous illumination. The left side is much brighter (I already noticed it, but it seemed brighter) and through the middle of the screen (I just noticed it) there is a lighter band going from left to right. I just installed Lightroom and noticed the images brighter on the left side compared to the right side.

I was thinking of sending the display back, but this model is discontinued and the alternative (Eizo S2111W) also suffers from the same phenomenon. I have a new display for 3 weeks (Samsung 215TW (S-PVA)) and a new system with Vista this weekend. I validated my profile and got very different dE in the whites. I choose a neutral dark gray background a moment ago and was shocked … I noticed a very inhomogeneous illumination. The left side is much brighter (I already noticed it somewhat) and through the middle of the screen (a just noticed it) there is a lighter band going from left to right. I just installed Lightroom and noticed the images brighter on the left side compared to the right side.

I was thinking of sending the display back, but this model is discontinued and the alternative (Eizo S2111W) also suffers from the same phenomenon. lReview of the Eizo S2111W (http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/review/2007/review-eizo-s2111w-part9.html#Image). It seems a common problem of the panel from Samsung. The Eizo is higher priced at 750 euro (compared to 425 euro) and I still get the same display.

This is my first LCD screen and worked on a a CRT before. Is this normal? Should I just ignore this? What is your experience considering photo-editing?

[span style=\'font-size:8pt;line-height:100%\']I just want a good screen, preferable with the following characteristics: widescreen, aprox. 20 – 22 inches, 8-bit color, HDCP, 8ms or faster. If you have suggestions, please say so.[/span]
Title: LCD uneven illumination, just ignore?
Post by: sniper on September 25, 2007, 03:45:30 pm
If it's as bad as you say I'd take it back and get your money back and buy something else.  I use several lcd screens some on desk top and some on laptop, I have noticed no problems with any except colour ballance on some make laptops are not suitable for photo editing (theres no true white, only a blue white) we only use those for office duties.
I haven't seen any uneven problems, maybe I'm just lucky.  Wayne
Title: LCD uneven illumination, just ignore?
Post by: feppe on September 25, 2007, 04:31:13 pm
Instead of opening a new thread for the same topic, you could've just bumped the old one.
Title: LCD uneven illumination, just ignore?
Post by: Hendrik on September 26, 2007, 11:44:06 am
Quote
Instead of opening a new thread for the same topic, you could've just bumped the old one.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=141807\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

... and that is??? The topic is different, the display is the same.

I wonder how other photographers’ cope with this phenomenon, that seems very common. The people I know all work on cheap TN panels, so I can't compare it with my screen.

[edit] Oh, I now see it, to be honest, I forgot this thread.    Maybe a mod can merge these two together? Sorry about this pollution. I reported this thread to a mod.
Title: LCD uneven illumination, just ignore?
Post by: jerryrock on September 29, 2007, 09:53:16 am
You might want to consider a model with a S-IPS panel or even better LED LCD for better backlighting and even illumination.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/other/dis...parameters.html (http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/other/display/lcd-parameters.html)