Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: DougMorgan on September 25, 2007, 12:08:53 pm

Title: Epson 9800/9880 Canon Ipf8000/8100
Post by: DougMorgan on September 25, 2007, 12:08:53 pm
Hello all:

This is my first post here and after reading nearly every post that pertains I would like to ask opinions on a new wide format printer.   The more I research this the less clear the answer becomes.  

As background I print my own panorama work commercially on both my own Epson 4000 and an outside party's  phatte black'd 9800.   Until recently most of the orders were for smaller paper prints and the 4000 has been a real workhorse over the last four years and gallons of ink.   But the 4000 is on the slow side and for canvas I've been farming out what I couldn't print myself but now I find that a significant portion is being printed by others with a diminished profit and more importantly, convenience as I live a ways out of town and the huge files are cumbersome to FTP.

I've been examining my options and at first glance the following all seem acceptable:

1) buy a 9800 with rebates and keep the 4000.  When the 4000 dies buy imageprint or more likely another smaller format printer.

2) wait a bit and buy a 9880, same deal with the 4000.  The economics may be nearly the same as option 1 as well if the 9880 really has less clogging than the 9800.

3) buy an ipf8000 and expect to have some issues with little help from Canon.

4) wait for an expected ipf8100 and hope that Canon gets it's act together by the time it's available.  The Japanese sites seem to have some information about it but I couldn't find any dates using translate.

5) the status quo.  Or at least wait until the 4000 passes.

At any rate though I really hate that epson has not yet addressed the black issue with the 98xx, I would be using it mostly for canvas and could get by without switching inks.      It does seem though that at the very least they should offer the option to dump the light-light gray and put both blacks on board without the huge expense of imageprint.

The local professional photo outlet sells both the epson and canon (and have and use each themselves) and they are just as befuddled about this as I am.   Depending on the day they either want to toss their ipf5000 in the dumpster or trade the 9800+7600+ipf5000 for a single ipf8000.   Yesterday was the dumpster option the  time before they offered to sell me their 9800.

So does anyone have any opinions, comments, insights, thoughts, etc?  If I want to go the most conservative route and get a 9800 with rebate I probably have to order one within the week.   I rather easily came to the conclusion that the 24 inch printers are not worth it for my purposes so it's 44 or more.   Note that for various reasons HP is not in the running.

A specific questions to tack on ---- How are the ipf series with non-Canon papers, particularly canvas, particularly matte canvas?  I have been using epson's Piezo pro despite continual supply problems but could switch to breathing color's matte without many tears.   Smooth pearl and epson's enhanced matte are the other two most important papers.   Not much of a market for art papers but something like VFA or photo rag would be a distant fourth.

Thanks in advance.....
Doug Morgan
Title: Epson 9800/9880 Canon Ipf8000/8100
Post by: John Hollenberg on September 25, 2007, 02:42:12 pm
Recommend to ask your question on the iPF Printer Wiki (http://canonifp5000.wikispaces.com/).  Why did they want to toss out the iPF5000 on some days?  It's quirks are well known, but once you get everything set up and ironed out it produces flawless prints every single time.  There are a few unresolved issues, but not problems I would expect to cause a change of attitude about from day to day.

There have been very few reported problems with iPF8000.  The biggest different in the iPFX100 series are:  new black inks with a lot less bronzing, calibration for increased consistency as printer nozzles "age", some improvements in Photoshop plugin.  If you plan to print much B&W on glossy (Photo black) type media, I would wait for the iPF8100.  Of course, we don't know how much it will cost or when it will be released.

--John
Title: Epson 9800/9880 Canon Ipf8000/8100
Post by: DougMorgan on September 25, 2007, 04:38:17 pm
Thanks for the info John and I'll have to sign on to the wiki...

The local shop has had the ipf5000 replaced once  and I think they continue to have software issues (mac & photoshop CS2 or 3), communication issuses as well as  problems feeding thick stock a sheet at a time.  The operator said she has given up on art papers.     I believe their first printer (the one that was replaced) was one of the first off the boat.   Apparently the newest firmware fixed some of their earlier problems but they still have problems that are making them less than happy.  But it seems to depend on the day.  After Canon's dog and pony show they were ready to sell me their 9800, yesterday, not a chance.

Myself I'm pretty much a roll paper guy, not a mac type, don't think much of B&W (though I do print a couple additions by special order), and print only proofs from photoshop.   I get no demand for glossy.   I do care very much about colour consistency though and I think this and the various fixes would be my biggest reasons for interest in the x100 series over the x000.  I don't want to spend a lot of time noodling around with the thing -- I want to print with it, not play with it.

I guess what I would be looking for in the Canon is lower ink costs, higher speed, and the ability to print on matte or photo paper which would allow me to sell the 4000 and get my other desk back.   Less ink waste for cleaning cycles would be a serious benefit as well but from what I've heard and read it may be a trade off for head replacement costs.

Doug
Title: Epson 9800/9880 Canon Ipf8000/8100
Post by: John Hollenberg on September 25, 2007, 05:08:38 pm
Quote
The local shop has had the ipf5000 replaced once  and I think they continue to have software issues (mac & photoshop CS2 or 3), communication issuses as well as  problems feeding thick stock a sheet at a time. 

My guess about problems feeding thick stock is a bad/marginal roll feed unit.  When that is installed (and defective) you can get those kinds of symptoms.  Have they had the tech come out to fix problems?  We haven't had any unresolved reports of the problems you have been mentioning, so I wouldn't pay too much attention to those problems.

Quote
I guess what I would be looking for in the Canon is lower ink costs, higher speed, and the ability to print on matte or photo paper which would allow me to sell the 4000 and get my other desk back.   Less ink waste for cleaning cycles would be a serious benefit as well but from what I've heard and read it may be a trade off for head replacement costs.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=141809\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ink costs to make prints probably are lower.  I find that my prints average around 1.1-1.2 ml/square foot (on Epson Premium Luster), while the general consensus is that Epson printers use about 2 ml/square foot.  

Less ink waste for cleaning cycles is possibly/probably true, depending.  I found out about service mode on the iPF5000 and discovered that the printer has used an average of about 2.5 ml ink per day to keep the heads clean (over 307 days).  That's about $42/month of ink.  However, no fooling around trying to get a clean nozzle check, wetting the parking station, doing another cleaning cycle, etc.  If your time is worth anything and you print a reasonable amount this is actually a pretty good deal.  I never do nozzle checks or manual cleanings, the printer is always ready to go and has never produced a bad print except from operator error  

--John
Title: Epson 9800/9880 Canon Ipf8000/8100
Post by: DougMorgan on September 25, 2007, 05:46:29 pm
I would think that a Canon service person has been to see their printer but I'm not sure as this is a smaller community and they would have to come up from Vancouver or possibly Calgary.  

At any rate it sounds as though the ink usage would be about the same for cleaning/clogs, at least compared to an older epson 4000.  Based on the waste ink tanks I had estimated that I lost about half a set of cartridges to cleaning in the last year, which is like 500 bucks or almost exactly 42/month.  $42/month definitely sounds better than 500/yr -- you can own a new printer for pennies a day........

I don't have my notes at hand but I would say that 2ml/foot is a little high but 1.2ml per foot would definitely be an improvement and based on an Epson ink price of .50 per ml and the amount of ink the printer has guzzled over the last year it would be close to two grand, if I figured right.  Correction, the savings would be almost $900, still a significant amount.

The wiki link doesn't seem to work and keeps saying wikispace not found but the link in the thread of the same name works fine.

Thanks and you have given me some encouraging numbers to play with.......
Any feel for if it would be worth waiting on the 8100?

Doug
Title: Epson 9800/9880 Canon Ipf8000/8100
Post by: John Hollenberg on September 25, 2007, 06:21:19 pm
I can't see anything wrong with the link, but it doesn't work for me either.  Try this:

http://canonipf5000.wikispaces.com (http://canonipf5000.wikispaces.com)

We don't know enough about the 8100 (or 6100, etc.) yet to have a good feel for the practical differences.  There are some issues known for the iPF5000 that we hope are fixed (see Known Problems section on the Wiki), but haven't been able to get any information yet.  Also, some of the issues may affect you, some may not.  For example, Harman FB Al Gloss has the best gamut with a Media Type called Photo paper plus semi-gloss.  Unfortunately, the Media Type is locked out from the roll, so if you get a roll of this paper you wouldn't be able to print using that Media Type.  Another Media Type such as Special 4 might suffice, hasn't been tested yet.  This is an area we hope has been fixed with the new iPFX100 series... but still awaiting information.

--John
Title: Epson 9800/9880 Canon Ipf8000/8100
Post by: DougMorgan on September 25, 2007, 06:58:58 pm
Thanks John:

I am reading the wiki and some of the reviews linked to it now.  Lots of info.   Lots of new questions.

I've simplified my printing life and use just 4 basic papers and each has an alternate.  None are canon though and not all have profiles for the 8000 (though many do for the 5000).

Thanks again....
Doug
Title: Epson 9800/9880 Canon Ipf8000/8100
Post by: Happyfish on September 25, 2007, 07:23:56 pm
3) buy an ipf8000 and expect to have some issues with little help from Canon.

not sure what issues ? I have one working fine no issues  
I am sure some people have some so am curious what you have heard  



4) wait for an expected ipf8100 and hope that Canon gets it's act together by the time it's available. The Japanese sites seem to have some information about it but I couldn't find any dates using translate.
figures my gear is outdated already  hehehehe
I would say either one but if you can wait ? sure I think its usually better to get new models but again when is the new 8100 coming out ? and how long do you want to wait
Title: Epson 9800/9880 Canon Ipf8000/8100
Post by: DougMorgan on September 25, 2007, 08:17:27 pm
Thanks Happyfish.....

Actually I have read almost exactly 0 about the 8000, one way or another, except for some reworded press releases (reviews) from Canon.   For problems I have read dozens and dozens regarding the ipf5000, many critical of Canon support (especially in the beginning) so I guess I was extrapolating.

The support (or lack there of) isn't really a deal-breaker.   If support/repair worked the same as CPS for camera equipment it would be a known entity at least or something like epson with the possibility of a quick replacement.  

How long have you had the 8000?  Any figures on ink usage?  Do the above 5000 cleaning figures apply to the 8000?    Have you run much canvas through it and if so which brand(s)?  Any serious problems?  

Questions,  questions....
Doug
Title: Epson 9800/9880 Canon Ipf8000/8100
Post by: John Hollenberg on September 25, 2007, 08:32:51 pm
Quote
Actually I have read almost exactly 0 about the 8000, one way or another, except for some reworded press releases (reviews) from Canon.   For problems I have read dozens and dozens regarding the ipf5000, many critical of Canon support (especially in the beginning) so I guess I was extrapolating.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=141848\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The complaints about support were as follows:

1) Known defect in roll feed units requiring service calls and sometimes more than one - applied to iPF5000 only (not 8000), recent report on Wiki of new RFU shipped instead of making user wait for a service call.  Problem will certainly be gone in iPFX100 generation.

2) Refusing to replace defective ink cartridges - RESOLVED, now quickly sent out

3) No warranty on expensive printheads - now greatly improved by one year warranty

4) Horrible documentation - the Wiki has filled that gap making it not very important.

5) Issues like subtle banding in trailing inch of sheets fed from the cassette - RESOLVED - Wiki participants figured out that there was an adjustment that could be made from the printer control panel that Canon USA just didn't know about!

Overall I would say that the support issue is pretty much resolved, with the possible exception of slow service in some outlying areas.  If you needed your printer fixed very quickly under warranty, there MIGHT be some problems with timeliness compared to Epson, etc.  However, current info indicates probably on a par with other companies at this time.

--John
Title: Epson 9800/9880 Canon Ipf8000/8100
Post by: Happyfish on September 25, 2007, 08:47:03 pm
sorry my grammar is bad so hard to read what I write sometimes  
I am going to ramble out some thoughts and hope it helps

ahhhh OK thought I might have missed something  hehehe

I am thinking of getting a 5100 for some other stuff to print we do that is smaller I had thought of getting a 5000 but like you I read to many stories and scared me away from it  

I will wait a few more months and decide then on the 5100

also I think lots of people have the money to get a 5100 than a 44 inch printer so that narrows things down and of course the number of users etc....


I dont have any ink figures really  I am one of those that just print and dont care to much so far seems inline with the 5000 series when I first got the printer I think about 9 months ago ?? I checked the ink useage some to get a idea (forgot the numbers) but then checked again a month or so after that and they were the same really so I would say the 5000 numbers are a good gauge

we are expanding our business to do more printing and one of the reasons I loved the 8000 is the speed !!! and no cost on quality as the 6100 review this is a printer you can run in the best of the best mode and not wait all day or step down 1 notch and the thing flies

I dont do canvas really so cant say much I have gotten a few rolls in to test and so far the results are good (fredrix) but going to compare to some other companies in the next month or so

going to order some new harman and ilford paper in and see what I think of it and hope the as some are saying delicate surface is a non issue

my fav paper is the Hahn museum etching love love this paper in the printer

feel free to ask any thing I can try to help with  when I got this printer I was blind to it as many are !! there is very little going around on it

the way I chose is went to a place that had all 3 HP Epson canon and printed on them with my stuff and examined test prints and looked at what I print a lot of and what I wanted to stand out and chose the canon

my prints tend to be brighter (I am from Hawaii and did a lot of underwater work) so blues were important to me and greens and the colors with the canon seem more real but bright ! much like green plants on Maui seem brighter than other places ! hard to say in words but I think you might get what I mean if you have been to the islands


now if I was printing mostly BW work I might have gotten the HP
but the Canon in BW mode was so close to the HP it was hard to say what I liked better ? but both the HP and the canon were nicer than the Epson BW I felt (again my prints my BW sure others like the Epson for theirs no reason to start a way)

in color the Canon I thought was the most real bright and clean in the blues where Epson had this lean toward purplish color at times which was hard to get out yes it can be done but something about it stuck out as the blue was not the same as the Canon or HP
and in this case the Canon was better than the HP and both were better than the Epson

deeper darker reds in the shadows I think the Epson was the nicest
the deep shadows might have the edge ? but not saying the Canon or HP cant print shadows they can just fine  but the amount of lead on the Epson in this area was there just as the small lead of the HP in BW over the canon was there
and that small lead is not much of my printing needs and not as important as other things where the others lead

for canvas printing ???? YIKES hard to say what I like as I do not print enough canvas to give my thoughts  sorry but maybe I will be very soon after my testing is done and I can compare that to the Epson ( I dont have the HP to test against )

again these are my personal thoughts  

I guess the real world side of me would say this if you master any of the printers they all do the job



if you had 3 prints each with the pros cons of each printer and 3 rooms with each displayed and walked into each room to examine you would not notice the dif right away you would have to walk back in then compare and then your brain would say AHHHHH now I see
Title: Epson 9800/9880 Canon Ipf8000/8100
Post by: DougMorgan on September 25, 2007, 09:02:16 pm
John:

I live in a small community in BC, Canada and the chances of a Canon repair guy showing up at my door are similar to winning the lottery  

I suppose I could dig on Canon's website but you seem to be the man with the answers.  Does Canon offer an onsite replacement deal like Epson?    AFAIK it still works with Epson that I can get them to ship a replacement unit (refurbished) to me and then I send mine back.  A charge is placed on the credit card when the replacement is sent and removed when my unit gets back to them.  

My biggest concern regarding the (past) complaints is that I can't take weeks of down time waiting for something from Canon.  With CPS (Canon professional services) Canon has replacements and loaners available for photography equipment and priority service for professionals.  Is there a similar program with these printers or are they covered under CPS?

Thanks again and again.....
Doug
Title: Epson 9800/9880 Canon Ipf8000/8100
Post by: John Hollenberg on September 25, 2007, 09:08:16 pm
Quote
John:

I live in a small community in BC, Canada and the chances of a Canon repair guy showing up at my door are similar to winning the lottery

Actually, that may not be as far out as you think.  The service company that Canon USA has a contract with flew repair guy to some state where the customer was hundreds of miles from anywhere, plus the guy who serviced my printer had been flown to Hawaii to service 2 iPF5000 printers.


Quote
I suppose I could dig on Canon's website but you seem to be the man with the answers.  Does Canon offer an onsite replacement deal like Epson?    AFAIK it still works with Epson that I can get them to ship a replacement unit (refurbished) to me and then I send mine back.  A charge is placed on the credit card when the replacement is sent and removed when my unit gets back to them. 

To my knowledge, no, but I may just not have heard about it.  Also, it may make a difference if you are in CPS, and it may be different in Canada.  Plus, they may have changed their policy.  In this case you really do need to contact Canon Canada to get an informed answer.  Don't trust my answer on this one  

--John
Title: Epson 9800/9880 Canon Ipf8000/8100
Post by: DougMorgan on September 25, 2007, 09:32:05 pm
Thanks Happy Fish!

I haven't been to Hawaii but I have spent some time in tropical places so I think I appreciate what you mean about colour.   Though after a long Canadian winter grey starts to look like a bright colour.

I've seen output from the 5000 but not the 8000: I assume that they are basically identical.   Unfortunately I didn't attend Canon's big show a couple weeks ago in Vancouver as the synopsis they published didn't have much that interested me, not enough at least for a four hour drive each way.  Later I find out they had an 8000 setup as well as the new camera I was interested in.  D'oh.

Thanks for the insights and I think I need to get some of my own stuff printed as you did.  I don't have any interest in the HP so it's basically just epson and canon.

Doug
Title: Epson 9800/9880 Canon Ipf8000/8100
Post by: Visuals4Exhibits on October 17, 2007, 04:53:37 am
Hello,

I am from Belgium and owner of a Canon iPF8000 since several months now.

We were searching for a very high definition printer, and Canon became my choice because of the 12 colors and the printing speed.

I make my own output profiles, and with 12 colors you have a very large gamut with intense, vivid colors that outstands any 6 or 8 color printer like Epson or HP.

I had the concern about the ink consumption, but even there I was surprised...  I have a consumption of maximum 9ml per square meter when taking the heaviest type of file that I could find, but mostly it consumes like 6ml per square meter...

The speed is amazing... For an image of 914mm x 2500mm, it takes in 1200dpi mode just about 10 minutes without any sign of banding or whatever... In 2400dpi it takes like 15 minutes to print the image.

Because of the big productions we do, I use Onyx ProductionHouse rip instead of the Garo driver.

The service of Canon is here in Belgium very good.  When calling for a problem, they are here mostly the next day, some times even within 4  hours...

I used a lot of printers in the past 10 years like Encad, Epson, Mutoh, Colorspan, HP, ... and Canon is realy what I am/was looking for.  I ordered an iPF9000 last week, for the larger printjobs.

The new 9100/8100 are embded with a spectrometer to do your own profiling, but I prefer to do it with my Eye_one Uv cut....  There is also the 8000s or 9000s that comes with (only) 8 colors but doubles the speed of the regular 12colors 8000/9000 series.

Hopes this helps,

Cheers,

Visuals4Exhibits
Title: Epson 9800/9880 Canon Ipf8000/8100
Post by: Ernst Dinkla on October 17, 2007, 07:03:11 am
Quote
Hello,



The new 9100/8100 are embded with a spectrometer to do your own profiling, but I prefer to do it with my Eye_one Uv cut....  There is also the 8000s or 9000s that comes with (only) 8 colors but doubles the speed of the regular 12colors 8000/9000 series.

Hopes this helps,

Cheers,

Visuals4Exhibits
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a] (http://index.php?act=findpost&pid=146577\")


[a href=\"http://www.proimagingsupplies.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=5667]http://www.proimagingsupplies.com/index.as...ROD&ProdID=5667[/url]

I wonder who has it right but the above page says sensors for printer calibration on the iPF8100 but no mention of a spectrometer or profile creation on that model. So in essence like the 5100 and 6100, as expected.


Ernst Dinkla

try:  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/ (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/)
Title: Epson 9800/9880 Canon Ipf8000/8100
Post by: Scott Martin on October 17, 2007, 09:39:06 am
Quote
Myself I'm pretty much a roll paper guy, not a mac type, don't think much of B&W (though I do print a couple additions by special order), and print only proofs from photoshop...   I guess what I would be looking for in the Canon is lower ink costs, higher speed, and the ability to print on matte or photo paper which would allow me to sell the 4000 and get my other desk back. [a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=141809\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Doug, it sounds like your local shop isn't very knowledgeable and from what you have said, the 8x00 is for you. I'm seeing no problems at all and only exuberant owners among the 12+ clients of mine that have the 8000. New owners tend to get a little hands-on with these printers and conclude "Jeez this is fantastic - to heck with Epson." The machines are well made and at ~$4000 the 8000 is hard to beat. I hear there are ~40 left right now. Epson's rebates are over and with only 24 9800s left and the 9880 still 2+ months away from reaching end users they are not being discounted.

Quote
I do care very much about colour consistency though and I think this and the various fixes would be my biggest reasons for interest in the x100 series over the x000.[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=141809\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
So far consistency has been fantastic like Epsons but like you I like the idea behind the on board calibration on the x100 series. Even Epson's drift over time with heavy use. The 8100 will cost a good bit more than what the 8000 is going for today. Canon has told me they expect to announce the 8100 and 9100 tomorrow at PhotoPlusExpo.

Quote
The new 9100/8100 are embded with a spectrometer to do your own profiling, but I prefer to do it with my Eye_one Uv cut....[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=141809\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
That is not correct. They use a more basic and affordable colorimeter that allows it to calibrate but not profile. That way you can profile just once (with an external package) and calibrate often to ensure consistency and compatibility with that one profile.
Title: Epson 9800/9880 Canon Ipf8000/8100
Post by: DougMorgan on October 19, 2007, 12:01:36 pm
Thanks for the reply Scott and I've looked through your website as well....


The local shop does have a fair bit of experience doing their own printing and they are dealers for Canon, Nikon, Epson, Pentax etc.  They use a 7600, 9800, and Canon 5000.    Previously they've had a 4800 (replaced by 5000), a 4000 and before the 9800 a Canon 6400 (or a similar model).    I think they originally got one of the 1st Canon 5000's in Canada but it was replaced as defective.     There is no local support from Canon so that seems to be a luxury south of the border only (same for epson and, I assume HP).  As I said, some days they seem very happy with it, others not.   Support for the machine seems to be a continual problem in Canada at least.  But this is true for photography equipment as well as wait times for service are 3 or 4 times as long as in the USA.   Canon Canada (subsidiary of Canon USA) seems to charge more but pay less and the techs must be migrating south.

That's good to hear about the colour consistency.  I haven't heard of any specific complaints about it but the introduction of the calibration unit in the x100 series makes me think -- is it just a marketing point against the HP aps?  Or is it a needed improvement?  

I don't mind a few days learning the ropes, getting a machine set up and tuned up but I have no interest in continual mucking about.  I'm a photographer  printing my own work, not a professional printer.   Someone referring to the other brand said that after 6 months or more of ownership they really love their printer x, when it's working properly.   I don't want printer X.    

I understand the calibration unit in the x100 units.  You were quoting another poster.

My current position is to wait and see what the price and shipping dates are going to be for the 8100 as well as what the market thinks of the 9880.   If Epson had truely improved the 9880 (like the 10880) I would already have one on order but greed got the best of them (again) so here I am.   It galls me that Epson continues to make these tiny, non-backwards-compatible improvements that would be more in tune with  a firmware update than a new model.

Thanks again
Doug
Title: Epson 9800/9880 Canon Ipf8000/8100
Post by: Scott Martin on October 19, 2007, 12:26:00 pm
Quote
I haven't heard of any specific complaints about it but the introduction of the calibration unit in the x100 series makes me think -- is it just a marketing point against the HP aps?  Or is it a needed improvement?[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=147212\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I think it's safe to say that it is in response to HP's spectro. Considering HP's slightly disappointing implementation and Epson's lack of anything I think Canon's solution is quite elegant and affordable.

Quote
I understand the calibration unit in the x100 units.  You were quoting another poster.[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=147212\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I thought you might say that! If I strip out the name in the reply code then it doesn't post correctly so I don't know of a better way to reposed to several people's comments in one reply. If anyone knows a better way let me know.

Quote
My current position is to wait and see what the price and shipping dates are going to be for the 8100 as well as what the market thinks of the 9880.[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=147212\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
They won't release the 8100 units until the 8000 units are gone which should take 3 months. Expect an even better price cut on the leftover 8000 units shortly! I just bought the very last 9000 Canon had this morning so 9100 units are officially available for shipping next week.
Title: Epson 9800/9880 Canon Ipf8000/8100
Post by: DougMorgan on October 19, 2007, 01:01:33 pm
Quote
They won't release the 8100 units until the 8000 units are gone which should take 3 months. Expect an even better price cut on the leftover 8000 units shortly! I just bought the very last 9000 Canon had this morning so 9100 units are officially available for shipping next week.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=147219\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The logic of this escapes me.   I would think if the 8100 is really ready to go they'd want to get it out and generating some interest rather than just slowing sales of the old model.   Judging from the small amount of interest in the 8000 that I've found on the internet, I don't think it was big seller anyway, certainly nothing like the HP or 9800.

But I guess I'll have to see what kind of discounts Canon Canada comes up with for the 8000.

Thanks for the info on the calibration.  I kind of suspected a marketing issue.  The HP APS unit is not an attraction for me and leaves me with similar questions.  Also from user comments it seems to be worth no more than it's cost, maybe less.

Thanks
Doug
Title: Epson 9800/9880 Canon Ipf8000/8100
Post by: Wayne Fox on October 19, 2007, 02:36:10 pm
Quote
That's good to hear about the colour consistency.  I haven't heard of any specific complaints about it but the introduction of the calibration unit in the x100 series makes me think -- is it just a marketing point against the HP aps?  Or is it a needed improvement?  
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=147212\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

No marketing hype.  A very significant improvement in that it allows different printers to be calibrated to the same base point, thus making profiles from 1 printer perform almost equally well on other printers.

HP went a couple of steps further, they calibrate to each individual paper, not just the printer, as well as allowing the printer to profile the paper. Personally I think that was overkill, but then I've been making my own profiles for years and am comfortable with it.

Epson chooses to use a different head technology which allows their printers to be calibrated at manufacturing.  Because there is very little wear on the nozzles, and the printer doesn't have to remap to spare nozzles when one clogs,  this delivers a similar consistency between printers. (I'm not saying this is better, we all know the challenges that clogged heads on Epsons can present.  This is strictly about their approach to deliver consistencyfrom printer to printer)

As far as Canon, I believe it was very important.  A paper manufacturer skilled at making good profiles can produce x100 profiles that will probably deliver as good if not better results than the in-printer profiling of the HP.  At this point, both Epson and Canon (and HP for that matter) are delivering printers that are very consistent.  As long as the paper manufacturers choose to support the x100 series Canons as well as they currently support the Epsons, the need for "in printer" profiling is really not that important because of the new calibration routines. Agreed, some paper manufacturers are terrible or don't care about profiles, and it remains to be seen if the x100 series will get enough market penetration to interest any of them enough to even make profiles.  For those that use a lot of niche papers without profiles available, a simple EyeOne profiling solutioin will deliver the same results as HP's in printer profiling.  Perhaps not quite as easily, but it also works for your monitor, other printers, and even the replacement HP that is most likely in the works now - unless they make you buy it with another eyeOne built in.

I've been using Epsons for many years, and tried the z3100 for about a month.  While is a very good printer, I didn't feel it really offered me anything, but I don't need to do any black switching on my 9800.

I've had a Canon ipf6100 for about 6 weeks now, and while it does present a few challenges from a user perspective, I don't think any are to the point I would discourage anyone from purchasing this printer, especially with the wealth of information from the 5000 wiki and other resources.  As far as print quality, it is very bit as good, and perhaps even slightly better than my 9800.  I have found a few very unique yellows from printing fall aspen trees that the 9800 seems to be unable to print that look great on the 6100.  Interestingly enough, they also look great on my Epson 3800, and I can't find any visible difference in output of the 3800 and the ipf6100 ... almost a perfect match on every print I've tried.

Based on your initial post my recommendation would be based on one question ... how often do you need to switch blacks?  If the answer is never, or hardly ever, then either printer will deliver outstanding results.  Epson perhaps has a slight edge only because I like their paper feed system better than Canons on the larger printers.

If you need both blacks, then I would recommend the 8100.

Now that the official announcement is out, I suppose cost differences may also come into play, as it looks like the Canon is $1,000 more than the Epson. Also looks like you may be able to get one sooner than 3 months, supposedly shipping next month.
Title: Epson 9800/9880 Canon Ipf8000/8100
Post by: DougMorgan on October 19, 2007, 03:09:10 pm
Thanks Wayne.    

The answer to the black question is pretty simple -- if I can switch blacks then I can switch to a single printer rather than continuing to run the epson 4000 for photo black along side a larger printer mostly for canvas.    I figure I'm wasting about $50 per month on clogging with the 4000 but it does seem to be increasing with age -- it was more like 25/month for the first year.   I've never had to run a deep cleaning cycle in four years (knock on wood) so it's been a series of the light duty cleanings now and again.   In other words though, I'm spending $600 a year just to keep the 4000 usable and if the canon is $1000 more it's probably about a wash in the long run for the difference in price.  I use roll paper almost exclusively so I don't need a paper tray and getting rid of the 4000 would certainly free up some desk space (like a whole desk).

I've come to the same conclusion regarding the APS idea.    If the 8100's calibration hardware is going to make a real difference I'm probably best of waiting.

Thanks
Doug
Title: Epson 9800/9880 Canon Ipf8000/8100
Post by: Scott Martin on October 19, 2007, 05:56:04 pm
Quote
Epson chooses to use a different head technology which allows their printers to be calibrated at manufacturing.  Because there is very little wear on the nozzles, and the printer doesn't have to remap to spare nozzles when one clogs,  this delivers a similar consistency between printers. (I'm not saying this is better, we all know the challenges that clogged heads on Epsons can present.  This is strictly about their approach to deliver consistencyfrom printer to printer)[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=147244\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
While Epson's heads are very consistent out of the box from unit to unit, the shortcoming of that approach is that they do change over time. I'm not saying that is a big shortcoming but high volume users have to re-profile every now and then to compensate for these changes.

Like you Wayne I make my own profiles so the built in calibration isn't that big of a deal for me but could be for Doug if he is not. Nonetheless the price differential between the 8100 and 8000 is significant - perhaps more significant than the differences between them.

Quote
I suppose cost differences may also come into play, as it looks like the Canon is $1,000 more than the Epson. Also looks like you may be able to get one sooner than 3 months, supposedly shipping next month.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=147244\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Epson is saying telling people at PhotoPlusExpo right now that the 9880 is 2-3 months away from end users as well. What's worse is they only have ~20 9800s left so they won't have anything to ship for a while when they are gone.
Title: Epson 9800/9880 Canon Ipf8000/8100
Post by: DougMorgan on November 16, 2007, 02:23:56 pm
Epilogue:

Thanks everyone for the comments, both here, through email from the folks in Vancouver, and from the canon wiki (a valuable resource for sure!).

After much reading, debating, and agonizing I'm negotiating with the local shop for a 9880.  In the end waiting was costing me money and while I had hoped to wait until the new year business has not been falling off and every order I don't print could be paying for the printer.

For others looking for a large format printer I came to the following conclusion:

HP Z3100:  I'll admit I'm not a big HP fan to begin with but I think the main reason for rejecting this particular model is, to quote another user "I love it when it's working properly".    Being a glass-is-half-empty rather sort of person I would hate it when it is not working properly.

Canon 8000/8100:  Since I use mostly Canon photographic equipment this should have been the obvious choice but alas not.   While I think Canon has fixed some of it's service/support problems south of the border it does not sound like this is the case in the great white north.    There is no local service and if they can't keep the printer at a Canon dealer running happily there is no reason to expect anything better for a guy working out of his basement.   The last I looked there was still no longevity data for the ink set and after many decades in the computer biz I'm sick of being a guinea pig.

Epson:  What can I say, I caved, and decided to stick with the demon I know.  I'm still pissed that Epson won't fix the ink waste in switching blacks and hate the gouging out side of the USA but what can you do.    In looking at my sales for the last three months most of the value is in canvas with the paper split about even between matte and luster.    So the plan is to run the 9880 with matte only and print the PK prints on the 4000 until it dies.   I get very little call for photo-black prints over 17 inches and the 4000 isn't really worth more than the value of the ink carts so it's a workable compromise for the time being.    From every review I've read epson is still the king for image quality though the crown maybe somewhat askew by the newer competition.  I know from experience that the mechanics are near bulletproof.

Thanks again.....
Doug Morgan
Title: Epson 9800/9880 Canon Ipf8000/8100
Post by: Wayne Fox on November 16, 2007, 06:24:39 pm
Quote
The last I looked there was still no longevity data for the ink set and after many decades in the computer biz I'm sick of being a guinea pig.

Thanks for the update.  I've been curious.

Just a note regarding this, I was concerned about this at one time.  No longer a concern because of a few things.

Canon's longevity testing is even more involved that Wilhelm's including gases and elements Wilhelm does not test for.

While Wilhelm has not published data, data was published I believe last April that showed the Wilhelm data to date, with one test at 95 years and still going on.

This is really more about money than anything with Canon uncomfortable with the price Wilhelm charges for publishing the data.  (This came directly from some pretty top people in Canon USA professional, who has always been a pretty straight shooter with our company - so admittedly who knows if it's true).

Anyway, good luck with the 9880.  I'm loving my 11880 so for ... too bad they can't get this head technology into the 98xx series sooner.  It's amazing.  (but my 6100 is also printing some fantastic prints)
Title: Epson 9800/9880 Canon Ipf8000/8100
Post by: DougMorgan on November 16, 2007, 07:33:50 pm
Thanks Wayne:

I did consider the 11880 as that would be an ideal all around solution but the price tag puts it out of reach for now: at the 3x the price of the 9880 I just can't justify it:(   If it would have been a couple grand more (rather than 10) I'd have one on order for sure.    Oh well, maybe next year.

The 9880 is basically a mature product and only a minor upgrade to the 9800 but it will do what I need at the moment and as a business decision it's really the only choice.

With Canon support is more of an issue than print longevity though if they are committed to the ipf's as a competitor to Epson and HP they may just have to pay the piper (whilhelm) as that's currently the only even partially independent  authority.  Canon seems to be supporting the ipf series better in the states (now) but I start loosing money if the printer is down for more than a couple days. There just isn't much of a track record for the 8100 (or 8000) itself and Canon had some serious problems with the whole line that don't appear to be resolved yet in Canada.   As it stands, to me at least, the risks outweigh the potential benefits, namely switching black inks and dumping the 4000.  The other improvements don't really effect the economics, again, for my situation.
Doug
Title: Epson 9800/9880 Canon Ipf8000/8100
Post by: DougMorgan on November 25, 2007, 11:24:30 pm
The final posting.....

I've now had the 9880 up and printing for 2 days.   I paid 4861 C$ which I thought seemed to be about average for internet prices.

With four empty rolls of canvas (one 17, two 24 and another 36 inch) and a 36 inch roll (number 5) running through now I guess I'm happy with my decision.   Still pissed that epson didn't really do much to update from the 9800 -- like both blacks on board -- but I bought this basically to print canvas.

A couple of early adopter points --

The 7800/9800 cartridges DONT work.  The new cartridges, except magenta of course, work in both the x800 and X880 models but not the other way around.  A lot of sales people (like mine) don't seem to know this.  So if you are going to run matte make sure you are getting the right cart or you'll sit staring at the printer for several days before you can actually use it, just like I did.   Epson in it's cheapness STILL doesn't include a matte cartridge in the box.

The new cartridges are not readily available so I would make sure of a source if you intend to print.  When I first set up mine there did not appear to be any matte black cartridges anywhere in Canada and everyone in the states was stuffing themselves with turkey.  Excellent planning from both Epson and myself.

There are few canned profiles available for this printer from anyone.   No epson profile for piezo pro canvas and some of epson's better art papers for example.  Radiant white does work very well with epson's piezo pro, thankfully.  Breathing colour with the watercolour profile is ok for some images but too dark for things like night scenes or black and white.  I'm sending off the test patches to them tomorrow and just using the last of my piezo in the meantime.

The only bug I've found is that the printer feeds way too much of a leader if you select manual cut.   Selecting auto cut, loading the roll, then switching to manual cut works fine.   Subsequent prints are fine if you don't cause the paper to re-load.

My printer was loaded with some pre-release firmware so the initial firmware had to be loaded.   Not a bitch, just an observation that I at first overlooked since I assumed the initial release would already be loaded.

Other than the above I'm happy with the printer and it does what it is supposed to do, and very well thank you very much.  Compared to the 4000 the printer is fast and produces noticeably better prints.   It's using about 1.4 ml/foot on canvas for real photographs (not high-key albino-in-a-snowstorm pictures) and can print a 30x72 image on a 36x78 piece of canvas in 38 minutes at the highest resolution (bidirectional).  Note that I seem to be printing a faint border at the far edge of the prints so the time would really be 38 minutes for a 36x78 print.  Still clog free so far.

Thanks for the input.....
Doug