Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: haefnerphoto on September 23, 2007, 08:34:43 pm

Title: Recent Mamiya 28mm shots
Post by: haefnerphoto on September 23, 2007, 08:34:43 pm
In another thread we were talking about Phase One and Mamiya not necessarily communicating as well as we'd like.  Then the topic shifted a bit to the 28mm which has had some problems working with the 645 AFD and AFD2.  Mamiya has resolved those problems via a firmware update to the lens (although we're still having some problems with the AFD2).  I thought I'd share some recent shots taken with this superb lens (for 5800.00 it should be).  It exhibits no barrel distortion and is as sharp as the 120 macro (if not sharper).  I shoot automobiles and architecture, unfortunately, the latest automotive work I can't show yet but will post those when the vehicle's been officially announced.  Jim[attachment=3368:attachment][attachment=3367:attachment][attachment=3369:atta
chment][attachment=3370:attachment][attachment=3371:attachment]
Title: Recent Mamiya 28mm shots
Post by: jpjespersen on September 23, 2007, 09:43:58 pm
What back did you use for these shots?
Quote
In another thread we were talking about Phase One and Mamiya not necessarily communicating as well as we'd like.  Then the topic shifted a bit to the 28mm which has had some problems working with the 645 AFD and AFD2.  Mamiya has resolved those problems via a firmware update to the lens (although we're still having some problems with the AFD2).  I thought I'd share some recent shots taken with this superb lens (for 5800.00 it should be).  It exhibits no barrel distortion and is as sharp as the 120 macro (if not sharper).  I shoot automobiles and architecture, unfortunately, the latest automotive work I can't show yet but will post those when the vehicle's been officially announced.  Jim[attachment=3368:attachment][attachment=3367:attachment][attachment=3369:atta
chment][attachment=3370:attachment][attachment=3371:attachment]
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=141479\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Title: Recent Mamiya 28mm shots
Post by: Snook on September 23, 2007, 09:54:38 pm
Ditto..
What back are you using..?
Thanks
Your shot's look quite spectacular.
Snook
Title: Recent Mamiya 28mm shots
Post by: Graham Mitchell on September 24, 2007, 02:51:11 am
Very nice work. Thanks for posting.
Title: Recent Mamiya 28mm shots
Post by: jonstewart on September 24, 2007, 03:56:50 am
Jim, you weren't kidding about that lens. Those shots are super, both the lens and your composition etc. Out of interest, what back?

Thanks very much for the samples. You've done a better job of selling this lens than Mamiya ever have!
Title: Recent Mamiya 28mm shots
Post by: haefnerphoto on September 24, 2007, 06:22:28 am
Sorry, I forgot to mention that the back is a P45.  Thanks for the comments.  Jim
Title: Recent Mamiya 28mm shots
Post by: Henry Goh on September 24, 2007, 07:41:26 am
Quote
Sorry, I forgot to mention that the back is a P45.  Thanks for the comments.  Jim
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=141533\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Really nice shots.  BTW were the bulb in the first image from Solux?
Title: Recent Mamiya 28mm shots
Post by: haefnerphoto on September 24, 2007, 08:23:38 am
Henry, I don't know what the fixture bulbs were.  Jim
Title: Recent Mamiya 28mm shots
Post by: KAP on September 24, 2007, 11:47:24 am
Impressive. The first shot of the building at dusk, is that a composite of exposures, it has a Photomatix look to it.

Kevin.
Title: Recent Mamiya 28mm shots
Post by: jonstewart on September 24, 2007, 11:53:35 am
Quote
Sorry, I forgot to mention that the back is a P45.  Thanks for the comments.  Jim
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=141533\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Oh great, same back as me... so if I buy that lens I can then go about proving, definitively, once and for all, that it is the photographer that takes the photograph and not the equipment!  
Title: Recent Mamiya 28mm shots
Post by: jpjespersen on September 24, 2007, 12:00:16 pm
Quote
Sorry, I forgot to mention that the back is a P45.  Thanks for the comments.  Jim
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=141533\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
So you didn't encounter any error issues or anything.. like people have mentioned in other posts?
Nice images.
Title: Recent Mamiya 28mm shots
Post by: Don Libby on September 24, 2007, 01:17:24 pm
Thank you for the images.  I just returned from the Sequoia's and while there was thinking of this lens ....

When you say there was a communication problem between lens and AFD II what do you mean?  I shoot with a AFD II & P30+.

Don
Title: Recent Mamiya 28mm shots
Post by: mcfoto on September 24, 2007, 05:54:14 pm
Hi
Thanks for the images, amazing lens. From what I understand it was a firmware upgrade for the lens. A fellow photographer in the AIPP here in Sydney uses that lens with a 645AFDII & a P45+......loves it.
Title: Recent Mamiya 28mm shots
Post by: haefnerphoto on September 24, 2007, 07:36:37 pm
The problem that existed between the P45 and lens only occurred when using the camera in a manual exposure mode (which is all I ever do).  When I would lock up the mirror and attempt to bracket exposures the camera froze with the window reading camera error (I've been told that's like the check engine light coming on in your car).  My workaround, until the lens firmware fix, was to turn the camera off and on after each exposure.  This was pretty aggravating having spent so much on the lens.  My assistant tells me we're still having problems with the AFD2 but I haven't studied it.  (I prefer the AFD because of the simplier mirror lockup.)  Someone asked about the house shot and it is a combination of exposures but I take a shot in brighter light, then wait for dark and expose again for the lights inside the house.  The second exposure is then brought in as a lighten blend layer.  With minimum adjustments it looks like that.  Thanks for all the positive feedback!  Jim
Title: Recent Mamiya 28mm shots
Post by: ternst on September 24, 2007, 08:21:57 pm
---My assistant tells me we're still having problems with the AFD2 but I haven't studied it.---

It would be great if you could shed some light on what these problems might be. I can't believe they would ever let a lens of this magnitude get to market when such issues with their flagship camera - good grief - and especially after all this time of it being out and you are STILL having issues?!
Title: Recent Mamiya 28mm shots
Post by: Don Libby on September 24, 2007, 08:28:47 pm
You're helping me save money - think I'll wait a little bit longer to see if more bugs are found and fixed....
Title: Recent Mamiya 28mm shots
Post by: oscar falero on September 24, 2007, 08:57:43 pm
Thanks for posting these samples. The pictures look great!

I might be to much to ask, but would you mind posting just the processed un-retouched version of the image with the long red drapes? To best judge the qualities of this lens, and see its true color, contrast and overall quality it must be shown naked without the post production layers.

The price that this lens is set at, should in some ways equal and give the Schneider & Rodenstock Digitars some competition. But this can only be determined by seeing it in its raw stage. In no way should this take away from the quality of your final images. Afterall, thats what you sell.

I also shoot with a P45 and RZIID, but I need to take care of my wide angle needs. I do not care for the AFD system and are looking into buying an ALPA, and this lens has me curious.

Thanks again.
Oscar
Title: Recent Mamiya 28mm shots
Post by: haefnerphoto on September 24, 2007, 09:05:17 pm
Guys, I agree, I couldn't believe that the lens wouldn't work with the P45 (don't know about other Phase One backs or other manufacturers).  The issue has been resolved with a firmware fix that Mamiya came up with about a month and a half after I received the lens and was accomplished overnight.  The other day we had several sets going and put my 645 AFD2 on one of them, the camera and back did not work with the 28mm, it won't take a picture (unless you turn the camera off and on everytime you want to take a capture).  You'll have to contact Mamiya if you'd like a technical explanation.  We'll be contacting them when we slow down.  Two of my three bodies work fine with the lens and back and the AFD2 works with all my other lens so, at this time, it's not a critical situation.  This all comes back to the other thread: Do Mamiya and Phase One talk much?  Have a look.  Jim
Title: Recent Mamiya 28mm shots
Post by: haefnerphoto on September 24, 2007, 09:41:32 pm
Oscar, Here are the two captures that were the basis for the final image.  Hope it helps.  Jim[attachment=3388:attachment][attachment=3389:attachment]
Title: Recent Mamiya 28mm shots
Post by: Steve_Townsend on September 25, 2007, 01:05:05 am
I have the same problem with the 28mm lens/ AFD2 and a P45+.

Looking forward to a solution soon.

Steve
Title: Recent Mamiya 28mm shots
Post by: mahleu on September 25, 2007, 07:59:31 am
I'm quite amazed by that lens. Is there anything similar available for v-series Hasselblad?
Title: Recent Mamiya 28mm shots
Post by: Mike W on September 25, 2007, 10:02:12 am
@Mahleu

Well, the Hasselblad 903swc has a fixed 38mm lens with a 91 degree fov (diagonal).
I have no idea if this lens is as wide or wider, but the diagonal of a square 6x6 film format should be wider than that of a 645 sensor.

Maybe someone has an educated guess. :-)
Title: Recent Mamiya 28mm shots
Post by: Morgan_Moore on September 25, 2007, 11:48:24 am
Quote
@Mahleu

Well, the Hasselblad 903swc has a fixed 38mm lens with a 91 degree fov (diagonal).
I have no idea if this lens is as wide or wider, but the diagonal of a square 6x6 film format should be wider than that of a 645 sensor.

Maybe someone has an educated guess. :-)
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=141739\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

A 38mm is 10mm longer than a 28mm !

The andwer is no :  mam or hassy H3d

there are of course options for mounting your V mount 'light capture device' on a camera like alpa or horseman SWD which has a 28 lense available

S
Title: Recent Mamiya 28mm shots
Post by: Graham Mitchell on September 25, 2007, 12:26:11 pm
Quote
there are of course options for mounting your V mount 'light capture device' on a camera like alpa or horseman SWD which has a 28 lense available

...or even 24mm.
Title: Recent Mamiya 28mm shots
Post by: Mike W on September 25, 2007, 12:32:32 pm
Well, the angle of view is about the same. :-) And it's the widest lens available on a V-system.
And with the crop-factor (1.1x) the 28mm becomes a 31mm. or a 36mm with a 1.3 factor.


Quote
A 38mm is 10mm longer than a 28mm !

The andwer is no :  mam or hassy H3d

there are of course options for mounting your V mount 'light capture device' on a camera like alpa or horseman SWD which has a 28 lense available

S
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=141758\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Title: Recent Mamiya 28mm shots
Post by: Morgan_Moore on September 25, 2007, 12:50:27 pm
Quote
Well, the angle of view is about the same. :-) And it's the widest lens available on a V-system.
And with the crop-factor (1.1x) the 28mm becomes a 31mm. or a 36mm with a 1.3 factor.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=141769\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It all depends on you light capture device !

Are we talking

"Medium Format Digital Backs and Photography"

Here

Of course a 66 capture film gets a wider FOV than a '1.1' chip

S
Title: Recent Mamiya 28mm shots
Post by: mahleu on September 25, 2007, 01:44:48 pm
Quote
It all depends on you light capture device Are we talking "Medium Format Digital Backs and Photography"
Here. Of course a 66 capture film gets a wider FOV than a '1.1' chip
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=141775\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I was talking 6x6, will be a while before I go digital.
Title: Recent Mamiya 28mm shots
Post by: Mike W on September 25, 2007, 02:07:04 pm
Well, that's stating the obvious....exactly what did you mean?

I was just pointing out that the focal lenght doesn't matter as much as the FOV.

Due to the crop-factor on the imaging chip (either 1.1 or 1.3 in MFDB) the difference between a 28mm digital and a 38mm in full frame 6x6 becomes much smaller.

hope this clarifies.

Mike

Quote
It all depends on you light capture device !

Are we talking

"Medium Format Digital Backs and Photography"

Here

Of course a 66 capture film gets a wider FOV than a '1.1' chip

S
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=141775\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Title: Recent Mamiya 28mm shots
Post by: Quentin on September 26, 2007, 05:18:19 am
Tremendous, the lens and the photography  

The 28mm received a rave review in Pro Photographer in the UK recently.  Lot of money though.

Quentin
Title: Recent Mamiya 28mm shots
Post by: mcfoto on September 26, 2007, 05:33:21 am
Quote
Tremendous, the lens and the photography   

The 28mm received a rave review in Pro Photographer in the UK recently.  Lot of money though.

Quentin
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=141900\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi
Yes it is expensive but from L&P & a photographer who I trust with the P45+ this is a stellar lens. I have held one and this is a beautiful lens.
Title: Recent Mamiya 28mm shots
Post by: jonstewart on September 26, 2007, 06:46:21 am
Quote
Oscar, Here are the two captures that were the basis for the final image.  Hope it helps.  Jim[attachment=3388:attachment][attachment=3389:attachment]
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=141673\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Jim, small question...

Did  you use software to combine those, or do it manually with photoshop?
(I've been playing with Photomatix, and am unsure whether I'm unhappy because of it, or the quality of the photos I'm throwing at it)

Thanks
Title: Recent Mamiya 28mm shots
Post by: haefnerphoto on September 26, 2007, 06:51:42 am
Jon, I combined the images in Photoshop.  I separated the red material from the background so that I could work on those individually.  Jim
Title: Recent Mamiya 28mm shots
Post by: jonstewart on September 26, 2007, 06:57:37 am
Quote
Jon, I combined the images in Photoshop.  I separated the red material from the background so that I could work on those individually.  Jim
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=141908\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks a lot, Jim. I'm beginning to think there is no better way than spend a little time and do the thing properly yourself in PS, rather than let software do it automatically. Maybe there's room for both, appropriate to the job in hand.

Thanks Again

Jon