Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Digital Image Processing => Topic started by: rgs on September 21, 2007, 06:36:21 pm

Title: Batch downsize in photoshop
Post by: rgs on September 21, 2007, 06:36:21 pm
I need to batch downsize about 120 jpegs in Photoshop CS2 so that the longest side is 800px regardless of whether it is horizontal or vertical. Some of the images are vertical, some horizontal, and some square.

I know there's a way to do this because I've seen a tutorial on it but cannot find it now. What I'm getting now is a horizontal dimension of 800 px regardless of vertical or horizontal orientation. Does anyone know how to do this?

Thanks
RGS
Title: Batch downsize in photoshop
Post by: DiaAzul on September 21, 2007, 06:56:28 pm
Quote
I need to batch downsize about 120 jpegs in Photoshop CS2 so that the longest side is 800px regardless of whether it is horizontal or vertical. Some of the images are vertical, some horizontal, and some square.

I know there's a way to do this because I've seen a tutorial on it but cannot find it now. What I'm getting now is a horizontal dimension of 800 px regardless of vertical or horizontal orientation. Does anyone know how to do this?

Thanks
RGS
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a] (http://index.php?act=findpost&pid=141097\")
[a href=\"http://www.russellbrown.com/tips_tech.html]Dr Browns Services 1.5.1[/url]

Scroll down to the CS2 section. Russell Brown's scripts will do what you want and are relatively painless to set up. Always a useful companion.
Title: Batch downsize in photoshop
Post by: Ken Bennett on September 21, 2007, 07:46:31 pm
You can do this easily in Photo Mechanic, and there is a free trial period. If you decide to try this, open the folder of images, select all of them, and go under File>Save Photos As; you'll get a dialog box that gives all kinds of options, including reducing the size by fitting the longest dimension to a given pixel size.

Other than that, PM is also a terrific browser.
Title: Batch downsize in photoshop
Post by: Richowens on September 21, 2007, 08:26:52 pm
Richard,

 It is located under File>Automate>Fit Image. Just enter 800 pixels in both directions and you are good to go.

 For my use I included it in an action to prepare an image for the web. I just point the Batch command at a folder to run the action and it creates a new folder with web images in it.

 HTH

 Rich
Title: Batch downsize in photoshop
Post by: rgs on September 21, 2007, 08:43:55 pm
Thanks.

RGS
Title: Batch downsize in photoshop
Post by: kaelaria on September 27, 2007, 12:32:53 am
I just use the web gallery feature and specify the size.  It puts them in a new dir automatically.