Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Adobe Lightroom Q&A => Topic started by: Craig Arnold on September 21, 2007, 01:21:13 pm

Title: Borderless Printing
Post by: Craig Arnold on September 21, 2007, 01:21:13 pm
I assume it probably can be done, but I have tried without success to get borderless A4 prints from my Epson R800 using Lightroom.

Any hints of where I might look would be helpful.

It's trivial to do with Photoshop.

Thanks,
Craig
Title: Borderless Printing
Post by: madmanchan on September 21, 2007, 03:17:03 pm
Did you (1) set the Epson driver option to Borderless, and then (2) set the LR margins to zero?
Title: Borderless Printing
Post by: Craig Arnold on September 22, 2007, 02:06:21 am
For reference

I'm using a Mac.

On the Print Settings dialog in the Layout section I have selected the option which says Border - None.

I cannot find any setting which specifically mentions Margins.

On the Lightroom Print section under the Layout panel if I try to set the Margin to 0 I get a dialog which says "A number between 0.13 and 7.89 is required. Closest value inserted." And it gets set to 0.13.

I cannot find anything relevant under the Print & Fax applet in System Preferences which has anything to do with Margins.

This is a problem for me, because it's not hard to find decent quality and decent price A4 frames, but  they really are A4 and with this thin margin that Lightroom insists upon I cannot mount them without seeing this margin. Which looks pretty naf.
Title: Borderless Printing
Post by: Craig Arnold on September 22, 2007, 02:16:25 am
Hmm, OK I think I may have made some progress.

On the File->Page Setup menu.

Instead of selecting A4 as the paper size, if one selects A4 (Sheet feeder - borderless) it then becomes possible to set the margins to 0 in the layout panel of LR.

And also to increase the cell size so that it takes up the whole page.

I shall experiment.

How very intuitive this all is.
Title: Borderless Printing
Post by: madmanchan on September 22, 2007, 10:47:55 am
Only certain sheet sizes are supported for borderless printing. I don't know what they are exactly for the R800, but your user manual probably has a list.

Also, be sure to go to the Epson driver itself (in the Print module, click on the Print Settings... button) and check the Borderless option in the driver.
Title: Borderless Printing
Post by: Craig Arnold on September 22, 2007, 12:27:04 pm
Quote
Also, be sure to go to the Epson driver itself (in the Print module, click on the Print Settings... button) and check the Borderless option in the driver.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=141217\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Seriously dude - where? There isn't one.

Anyway - never mind - I have just printed a couple of shots with the settings I mention above and they've come out fine, no borders.

I guess the R800 has a different driver to the more expensive printers. Colour print quality is still fabulous though.

The R800 suffices for most of my printing needs. And in fact I am not sure it makes economic sense to upgrade to an A3 printer, as I only occasionally need bigger than A4. When my 2-year-old R800 dies I shall replace it with the HP or equivalent.