Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Adobe Lightroom Q&A => Topic started by: KeithR on September 15, 2007, 08:46:52 pm

Title: LR 1.2 Update and Library back up
Post by: KeithR on September 15, 2007, 08:46:52 pm
I read about the update and downloaded it, but I have not launched it yet. I read on the download page:

"Important note
If you have not backed up your Lightroom library, please do so before upgrading to Lightroom 1.2 and choose the optional "Test this database for corruption" feature during the backup.

I am not exactly sure what this means. If I launch the upgrade, will this mean that everything in my library will be lost or at the very least unuseable? What would I need to do to back up the library? When I download off my CF cards, I know that they go into folders I created on my hard drive, and can always navigate to them. but I also know that LR creates folders that make up the "Library" and the changes that I make reside only within that library. Never had come across this before as I'm new to LR and not sure how to procede.
When I originaly loaded 1.0, I also updated to 1.1 at the same time. I had not uploaded any images at that time so I had no Library to be concerned with. Now I do, so that is why I'm cautious at this point.
Title: LR 1.2 Update and Library back up
Post by: Richowens on September 15, 2007, 08:54:00 pm
Keith,

 Just do a backup of your library with the "check for corruption" box checked. Nothing to worry about, just a precaution.

 For what it's worth, I installed 1.2 before reading that and had no problems with anything.

 Oh, one thing I noted was I had to reboot the computer before CS2 would run correctly after the upgrade, but Lightroom never missed a beat.

 Rich
Title: LR 1.2 Update and Library back up
Post by: Mark D Segal on September 15, 2007, 09:05:21 pm
Rich,

What happens to one's presets and customizations (such a identity plate)? Do those things survive the up-grade or is it necessary to save them out and then re-import them?
Title: LR 1.2 Update and Library back up
Post by: Richowens on September 15, 2007, 09:53:15 pm
Hi Mark,

 Everything survived the upgrade, all my presets, identity plate, etc. I had to double check the version to see if it had indeed upgraded. It even reopened to the photo I last worked onwith the same settings.

 In a way, it was almost spooky.   I have never had an upgrade go so smoothly.

 Rich
Title: LR 1.2 Update and Library back up
Post by: Mark D Segal on September 16, 2007, 08:14:51 am
Quote
Hi Mark,

 Everything survived the upgrade, all my presets, identity plate, etc. I had to double check the version to see if it had indeed upgraded. It even reopened to the photo I last worked onwith the same settings.

 In a way, it was almost spooky.   I have never had an upgrade go so smoothly.

 Rich
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=139666\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks Rich, THAT is VERY re-assuring. I shall do it. I'm now using LR to create my web galleries for my new website (forthcoming one of these fine days) - it's great - except I'm having a problem with it preserving sharpness on landscape-oriented images eventhough I have the long dimension standardized on 600 ppi. Very strange. Maybe with the upgrade that would change, who knows!? (Meanwhile, I'll test a work-around today.)

Mark