Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: MichaelEzra on September 10, 2007, 03:31:31 pm
-
I am planing to setup ZD camera to quickly backup my 6x7 negatives.
I have 80mm & 150mm lenses... and trying to get answers to these questions:
1. What would be the best optical solution - to use 120 Macro or extention tubes for 80mm?
2. Is there any negatives holder which would allow me to position the negs correctly infront of the lens?
3. Is there any 6x7 slide/negs copy attachement useable for Mamiya 645?
Any advice and help much appreciated.
Thanks,
-
I am planing to setup ZD camera to quickly backup my 6x7 negatives.
I have 80mm & 150mm lenses... and trying to get answers to these questions:
1. What would be the best optical solution - to use 120 Macro or extention tubes for 80mm?
2. Is there any negatives holder which would allow me to position the negs correctly infront of the lens?
3. Is there any 6x7 slide/negs copy attachement useable for Mamiya 645?
Any advice and help much appreciated.
Thanks,
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=138481\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Michael,
I have been in similar thoughts for my 6x7s. The other year I researched some on attachments to DSLRs but people who had tried it had posted that it was not very good. With a 22MP camera and for "scans" for webposts I am hoping this can be a good option though.
So far I only have ideas. My 80mm f1.9 (NF 70cm) with extension ring #2 gives about 20cm from front of lens to slide (frame is not quite filled by slide).
Novoflex has a slide duplicator CASTEL-COP-DIGI. Is it worth over 100 Euro (looks flimsy on their photos)? Instead my thoughts are following:
1. Using a dedicated slide holder from a film scanner (see B&H).
2. Mounting camera on tripod over a small light table that the slide holder can be taped to. This will keep focus distance fixed between changes of slides in holder.
Alternative to light table and more compact would be using a A4 (8 1/2 x 11) piece of whitish plexi or acrylic board, a few mm thick (can be bought cheap from vendors selling such products and do signs with them). This could be taped to window or onto a glass table with a light source under.
3. To seal from light against sides, simply a plastic pipe (building supply store) could be used and between lens and pipe a bellow made from black plastic bag and attached with tape or rubber bands to lens and pipe.
Any thoughts to my ideas? Please let us know how photos come out if you try and what solution you decide for. This project is not imminent to me.
Regards
Anders
-
I had a flashing lightbox once about 54 in size - cant remember who makes it - but is was specifically for copying trannies cost about $300
my rig was..
flashing light box
trannies in old carrier from durst enlarger
ambient light sheilded by 300 2.8 hood
55 macro lens (nikon)
copystand
worked 'fine'
S
-
I can't imagine this would work as well as a dedicated film scanner, so why not get a used scanner. Scan your entire archive and then sell it on? It may not cost much in the end that way.
-
I can't imagine this would work as well as a dedicated film scanner, so why not get a used scanner. Scan your entire archive and then sell it on? It may not cost much in the end that way.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=138606\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
The results can be quite good and it is VERY fast to do 125/sec per scan!
ps my flashing lightbox is a 'multiblitz color dia duplicator' I reckon it covers only 66 - you might need a bigger one
S
-
The results can be quite good and it is VERY fast to do 125/sec per scan!
ps my flashing lightbox is a 'multiblitz color dia duplicator' I reckon it covers only 66 - you might need a bigger one
S
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a] (http://index.php?act=findpost&pid=138610\")
Sam,
Like these?
[a href=\"http://cgi.ebay.com/Multiblitz-Color-Dia-Duplicator-Slide-Duplicator_W0QQitemZ290158334024QQihZ019QQcategoryZ15225QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD2VQQcmdZViewItem]http://cgi.ebay.com/Multiblitz-Color-Dia-D...VQQcmdZViewItem[/url]
http://cgi.ebay.com/Multiblitz-Color-Dia-D...VQQcmdZViewItem (http://cgi.ebay.com/Multiblitz-Color-Dia-Duplicator-Pre-Flash-Catalog-Orig_W0QQitemZ320140717556QQihZ011QQcategoryZ29971QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem)
Do you reckon my idea above would work too (without pipe and plastic bellow even)?
As expat my idea is smaller, lighter... (real film scanner too bulky & heavy , so this would be great ). Obvious not for large prints...
Much thanks.
Regards
Anders
-
Sam,
Like these?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Multiblitz-Color-Dia-D...VQQcmdZViewItem (http://cgi.ebay.com/Multiblitz-Color-Dia-Duplicator-Slide-Duplicator_W0QQitemZ290158334024QQihZ019QQcategoryZ15225QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD2VQQcmdZViewItem)
http://cgi.ebay.com/Multiblitz-Color-Dia-D...VQQcmdZViewItem (http://cgi.ebay.com/Multiblitz-Color-Dia-Duplicator-Pre-Flash-Catalog-Orig_W0QQitemZ320140717556QQihZ011QQcategoryZ29971QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem)
Do you reckon my idea above would work too (without pipe and plastic bellow even)?
As expat my idea is smaller, lighter... (real film scanner too bulky & heavy , so this would be great ). Obvious not for large prints...
Much thanks.
Regards
Anders
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=138620\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
The top link is the kiddie I have - the bottom link didnt work
I dont know about getting good coverage on a 67 tranny
As I said I plonked a neg holder from an enalrger on it - my thoery was to lift the tranny away from the 'box' which would mean any dust on the box would be out of focus
It will work in a dark room with no shading
you coould make a 'bellow' out of black card
for the cost and simplicity it is worth a try - I wont beat a drum scanner(!)
S
-
I've had great success photographing 35mm b&w negatives with a 384c Imacon back mounted onto a Mamiya 645 AFD with an older Mamiya 120mm macro lens. I use an old Omega 35mm negative carrier on top of a dichroic light box that was once used as a color head on an enlarger.
I put the mirror in the Mamiya on the "up" position and do a 4-shot exposure, as the Imacon 384C is a multi-shot back. The prints made from the digital files are far superior to what I was able to print with a Besselar 23C enlarger, EL-Nikor lens onto premium Agfa fiber-based paper (the really good stuff with lots of silver). I print the digital files through an Epson 7800.
-
I've had great success photographing 35mm b&w negatives with a 384c Imacon back mounted onto a Mamiya 645 AFD with an older Mamiya 120mm macro lens. I use an old Omega 35mm negative carrier on top of a dichroic light box that was once used as a color head on an enlarger.
I put the mirror in the Mamiya on the "up" position and do a 4-shot exposure, as the Imacon 384C is a multi-shot back. The prints made from the digital files are far superior to what I was able to print with a Besselar 23C enlarger, EL-Nikor lens onto premium Agfa fiber-based paper (the really good stuff with lots of silver). I print the digital files through an Epson 7800.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=138935\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Could you comment on comparison of the 4-shot exposure with Imacon 384C to a film scanner? I was thinking of using Mamiya ZD with 4 exposures and using PhotoAcute's superresolution capability to merge all into a single higher resolution file.
Thanks,