Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: pixtweak on September 09, 2007, 07:47:21 pm
-
Hello,
I have just switched back to Premium Luster 260 after using another paper (on a 7800), and can not remember which of the two profiles I have for the paper I was using. I was wondering if one of you knows the difference between these two profiles.
SP7898 PLPP260 PK 2880
Pro9800 7800 PLPP260
Thanks
-
The first is made by Epson America, the latter by Seiko Epson overseas. They are just different profiles. Presumably the former is intended for 2880 dpi printing whereas I believe the second is for 1440 dpi. But they are made with different software and could have different characteristics. I'd recommend trying Bill Atkinson's profiles ...
http://homepage.mac.com/billatkinson/FileSharing2.html (http://homepage.mac.com/billatkinson/FileSharing2.html)
-
The first is made by Epson America, the latter by Seiko Epson overseas. They are just different profiles. Presumably the former is intended for 2880 dpi printing whereas I believe the second is for 1440 dpi. But they are made with different software and could have different characteristics. I'd recommend trying Bill Atkinson's profiles ...
http://homepage.mac.com/billatkinson/FileSharing2.html (http://homepage.mac.com/billatkinson/FileSharing2.html)
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=138288\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thanks for refreshing my memory. The first one is the one I have been using. By the way I have not been able to find a Profile from Bill Atkinson for the 260 Premium Luster. Did he ever make one. I was told that the 260 Premium Luster is the same as the sheet Premium Luster, but Bill's Profiles are for the 250.
When I attended one of Epson's Print Academy Seminars it is my recolection that they said the American Profiles were better, and might be based on Bill's profiles. If anyone else can confirm this I would be interested. I attended the Print Academy before 260 was released so I do not know what the story is with it.
-
I believe Epson now uses most of bills techniques to make their profiles, and I've found EpsonUSA profiles to be very good for the 4800/9800 printers I have.
That being said, I still feel Bill is king, and if he makes a profile for a paper I will use it before I use the manufacturers profiles.
Interestingly enough he recently added some profiles for Kodak Professional media, which I personally like better than Epsons media especially their lustre. Not sure why he posted them unless he has started using it as well.
Better of course is relative ... on a scale from 0 to 10 we're talking a small fraction to describe how much better I like it ... they're both very nice papers if you are after a traditional color photographic look.