Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: Josh-H on September 08, 2007, 02:48:36 am

Title: Fine Art Museum Etching Paper
Post by: Josh-H on September 08, 2007, 02:48:36 am
Just thought I would share a new paper experience as I tried a new paper today - its made by Hahnemuhle - packaged by Canon as 'Fine art Museum Etching - FA-ME1. Its a 350 gm thick moderatly textured matt paper.

I would highly reccomend this paper to anyone who is looking for that real 'art' finish and I am thrilled with the results I am getting with it. Particularly for B&W work. It produces beautiful prints and is a pleasure to handle and work with. The subtle textures, gradations and shading it produces are stunning.

It is very expensive at roughly $220 Australian for 20 sheets in A3+ 13 X 19 size - but worth it.

Reccomended.
Title: Fine Art Museum Etching Paper
Post by: SteveZ on September 08, 2007, 09:31:35 am
Quote
Just thought I would share a new paper experience as I tried a new paper today - its made by Hahnemuhle - packaged by Canon as 'Fine art Museum Etching - FA-ME1. Its a 350 gm thick moderatly textured matt paper.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=137990\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks for the recommendation. I have a sample pack of Hahnemuhle FAP of which includes two 8-1/2"x11" sheets of ME. I've never used them but maybe now is a good time to try them out based on your results.
Title: Fine Art Museum Etching Paper
Post by: Happyfish on September 08, 2007, 04:17:32 pm
one of my fav papers  and as you say for BW really love it
Title: Fine Art Museum Etching Paper
Post by: Wayne Fox on September 08, 2007, 10:43:29 pm
Quote
one of my fav papers  and as you say for BW really love it
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=138073\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Totally agree.  Tried the 2 pages from the sample pack and love it.

Guessing it's pretty pricey though...
Title: Fine Art Museum Etching Paper
Post by: Rob Reiter on September 12, 2007, 12:42:13 pm
Quote
Just thought I would share a new paper experience as I tried a new paper today - its made by Hahnemuhle - packaged by Canon as 'Fine art Museum Etching - FA-ME1. Its a 350 gm thick moderatly textured matt paper.

I would highly reccomend this paper to anyone who is looking for that real 'art' finish and I am thrilled with the results I am getting with it. Particularly for B&W work. It produces beautiful prints and is a pleasure to handle and work with. The subtle textures, gradations and shading it produces are stunning.

It is very expensive at roughly $220 Australian for 20 sheets in A3+ 13 X 19 size - but worth it.

Reccomended.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=137990\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I much prefer this paper over German Etching. The surface is slightly different, but similar enough that I can recommend it to any client who used to print on GE. It's a heavier stock and much less prone to corners bending that the 'softer' German Etchingis. Also, zero optical brightening. Too bad it costs so much!
Title: Fine Art Museum Etching Paper
Post by: capecodfish on September 12, 2007, 01:06:38 pm
Quote
I much prefer this paper over German Etching. The surface is slightly different, but similar enough that I can recommend it to any client who used to print on GE. It's a heavier stock and much less prone to corners bending that the 'softer' German Etchingis. Also, zero optical brightening. Too bad it costs so much!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=138919\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
thanks to the op for the original report, and thanks rob for the ge comparison.  ge is one of my "special" papers, so i ordered a sample pack of museum etching to check it out!  
Title: Fine Art Museum Etching Paper
Post by: Josh-H on September 16, 2007, 06:22:48 am
I have continued to produce prints with FA Museum Etching over the last week and it continues to amaze with its beautiful gradations in B&W.

I have ordered some of Harman's new Gloss FB AL - and am very interested to see how it stacks up - but right now... Museum Etching is kicking serious goals for me.

I would really like to hear from others who have tried it and are finding it also producing stunning results.

I think Museum Etching may be a real 'sleeper' in terms on papers. If you are on the fence with giving it a go - I really do reccomend trying it.
Title: Fine Art Museum Etching Paper
Post by: Brian Gilkes on September 16, 2007, 06:34:47 pm
The Harman papers will have a completely different "look" to the Museum Etching paper due to the Baryta coating. Hahnemuhle will shortly have competing products. What might further differentate the products is Harmans nano-porous alumina coating. I would particularly be watching sharpness here. Hahnemuhle has particularly good coatings, which is why Photo Rag has always stacked up so well, and I guess the same thing goes for Museum Etching. The Harman gloss cannot fairly be compared as Hahnemuhle papers are matte and will never have the same DMax or gamut. The true potential of papers wil only be objective with careful analysis of well built profiles together with side by side visual comparison of pairs of prints of various subjects viewed under standard conditions tha include full spectrum light sources.
All that aside , it is a wonderful time for fine printers. Not even in the 1930s with papers from Mimosa, Leonar and Gevaert etc did photographers have such a range of choises.
Cheers,
Brian,
www.pharoseditions.com.au
Title: Fine Art Museum Etching Paper
Post by: pixelpro on September 16, 2007, 06:38:03 pm
  That's nice to know, I'm a Hahnemuhle fan but haven't tried this one yet.