Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear => Topic started by: TDR on September 05, 2007, 08:25:51 pm

Title: Strength and durability of Nikon F mount
Post by: TDR on September 05, 2007, 08:25:51 pm
I was recently looking around for some article and pictures on Nikkor 17-35mm which I've placed an order for just yesterday and I came across and article that talk about camera warping in which the mount gets bent out of shape or damage due to the lens being too heavy.  

I know that if don't use one hand to hold the 70-200mm lens when its attached to the camera this is very highly likely as that lens is heavy  , but I've wonder would a nikkor 17-35 be also too heavy for my S5 pro (it uses the Nikon D200 body) ? Do I always need to have one holding the lens to prevent the weight of the lens from damaging the mount? I like to have  just leave it dangling around my neck and such. (I actually would attach the neck strap to my backpack so the weight wouldn't strain my neck.  

I know it would take a great deal of weight to damage the Nikon F mount, but would the nikkor 17-35 lens' weight be so heavy that it would damage the mount if I don't have one hand on the lens to hold it up?
Title: Strength and durability of Nikon F mount
Post by: Richowens on September 05, 2007, 09:02:54 pm
No. You have nothing to fear. If a mount is bent or warped it's not from a lens that is too heavy, it's most likely from some kind of impact.

 Rich
Title: Strength and durability of Nikon F mount
Post by: macgyver on September 05, 2007, 09:17:39 pm
I routinly let my 70-200 2.8 IS hand from my 30D and no problems so far.  Heck I've let a 300 2.8 hang from it for short times....though I wouldn't recommend it.
Title: Strength and durability of Nikon F mount
Post by: Morgan_Moore on September 06, 2007, 03:53:40 am
Quote
I was recently looking around for some article and pictures on Nikkor 17-35mm [a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=137582\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The 17-35 is a small lens - no worries.

The question almost answers itself - longer lenses you cant hold with one hand unless you are a gorrilla and you shouldnt tripod mount off the camera if they have thier own tripod coller being

70-200, 300 2.8 600/4 etc

--

There is something in engineering called 'fail soft' design

Where a part is designed to fail at a relatively low force/impact

Lens mounts are this.

Reason? because in an impact failure of this component will end up with a cheaper reapair than say breaking some glass elements in an expensive lens or ripping the whole mirror box out of the camera body

I have seen a 5d and 500/4 fall, blown over by wind, off a tripod, the body was ripped from the lens - the lens was undamaged - the body was largely undamaged- the impact forces were absorbed by the failure of this part - they had to go somewhere

Same is true for the hotshoe connection - we bought a box of SB28 hotshoes once and got the hang of changing them ourselves

SMM
Title: Strength and durability of Nikon F mount
Post by: TDR on September 06, 2007, 04:55:34 am
Quote
No. You have nothing to fear. If a mount is bent or warped it's not from a lens that is too heavy, it's most likely from some kind of impact.

 Rich
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=137586\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks
Title: Strength and durability of Nikon F mount
Post by: TDR on September 06, 2007, 04:56:32 am
Quote
I routinly let my 70-200 2.8 IS hand from my 30D and no problems so far.  Heck I've let a 300 2.8 hang from it for short times....though I wouldn't recommend it.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=137590\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Interesting, and I've held the 70-200 for the canon and that is heavy!
Title: Strength and durability of Nikon F mount
Post by: TDR on September 06, 2007, 04:57:34 am
Quote
The 17-35 is a small lens - no worries.

The question almost answers itself - longer lenses you cant hold with one hand unless you are a gorrilla and you shouldnt tripod mount off the camera if they have thier own tripod coller being

70-200, 300 2.8 600/4 etc

--

There is something in engineering called 'fail soft' design

Where a part is designed to fail at a relatively low force/impact

Lens mounts are this.

Reason? because in an impact failure of this component will end up with a cheaper reapair than say breaking some glass elements in an expensive lens or ripping the whole mirror box out of the camera body

I have seen a 5d and 500/4 fall, blown over by wind, off a tripod, the body was ripped from the lens - the lens was undamaged - the body was largely undamaged- the impact forces were absorbed by the failure of this part - they had to go somewhere

Same is true for the hotshoe connection - we bought a box of SB28 hotshoes once and got the hang of changing them ourselves

SMM
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=137641\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks the detailed information. you have all put my worries to rest