Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: MichaelEzra on September 04, 2007, 04:02:29 pm

Title: Compensation for image showcase
Post by: MichaelEzra on September 04, 2007, 04:02:29 pm
I've been approached by one of the major fine art paper manufacturers for the arrangement of a few of my prints be used as their paper display.

-In a case like this, what generally are the terms which should be agreed upon? The length of the usage, etc.?

-Is anyone on this forum experienced with similar arrangements? What should be photographer's fair compensation for such use of the prints?

Thanks,
Title: Compensation for image showcase
Post by: eronald on September 04, 2007, 04:05:01 pm
I donated a couple of fashion shots at a trade fair to a german paper manufacturer, I think Teco. On the basis that what goes around comes around, and I get a lot of industry freebies, and may well end up one day profiling for someone they know ...My stipulation was that the copyright be printed on each sample. I don't know whether they ever used them.

Edmund



Quote
I've been approached by one of the major fine art paper manufacturers for the arrangement of a few of my prints be used as their paper display.

-In a case like this, what generally are the terms which should be agreed upon? The length of the usage, etc.?

-Is anyone on this forum experienced with similar arrangements? What should be photographer's fair compensation for such use of the prints?

Thanks,
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=137298\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Title: Compensation for image showcase
Post by: MichaelEzra on September 04, 2007, 04:14:16 pm
Edmund,

Thanks for your reply!
In my case, I actually do use that particular paper and find it wordeful:)
The images though are printed in limited editions. So I am trying to come up with something...  Possibly to make a print which is outside of limited editions, maked as for promotional use only? Is that reasonable?
Title: Compensation for image showcase
Post by: Morgan_Moore on September 04, 2007, 04:54:34 pm
Sounds like a commercial sale to me

do they GIVE you paper - I doubt it

S
Title: Compensation for image showcase
Post by: MichaelEzra on September 04, 2007, 07:41:47 pm
yes,  they offered "plenty of complementary paper"...
Title: Compensation for image showcase
Post by: SeanPuckett on September 05, 2007, 07:53:45 am
I think the term you're looking for is SPECIMEN.  As long as this term is overprinted on the image somewhere so it is defaced (even to a minor extent) from one of your art prints, no one who's purchased a limited edition print should be put out.  This is how I present, for handling, an accurate version of what a customer will receive when they purchase a portfolio or LE print without compromising the edition count.

I'd probably do it for free.  Scratching the back that scratches you sort of thing.  I get plenty of business from referrals based on things I did in trade.
Title: Compensation for image showcase
Post by: MichaelEzra on September 05, 2007, 09:31:55 am
Dear Sean, I think the term "SPECIMEN" solves my problem!:)

Thank you,
Title: Compensation for image showcase
Post by: nicolaasdb on September 08, 2007, 01:35:13 pm
NEVER EVER GIVE YOU IMAGES FOR FREE!!

They ((big) companies with (million dollar) advertising budgets) need your image to sell more paper (or whatever else)and they have the money to pay you a good amount for your image. They ofcourse try to get them for free and by giving your images away, you admit that that the value of your image is $0,00.....how is this possible?

Leaf asked my to give them images...to promote their equipment and my photography...last time I checked there are no potential clients checking a digital back to book a photographer and why not provide me with a complimentary digital back?? Ahh,,but they spend a lot of money on development..and ofcourse I have been sitting on my behind for the last 10 years and didn't spend any money on equipment, studio rent, assistants, insurrance etc etc.

If they don't want to pay....they will not get an image! They got the cash!! So fork it over!! If all photographers would think like this....we would all be making more money and the low balling would be over! Stop thinking about exposure!! The only cheap exposure I (and all other photographers) should provide is editorial exposure (which means: images stories in magazines!)